Low dose Premarin - any knowledge? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Low dose Premarin - any knowledge? Low dose Premarin - any knowledge?

Unread 04-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Low dose Premarin - any knowledge?

I was prescribed a low dose of Premarin today. I'm 35, had both ovaries and uterus out 5 weeks ago. No severe menopause symptoms yet, a lot of fatigue (but that's kinda normal for me), no real mood swings (but I do take celexa already and I haven't gone back to work yet, lol), no night sweats and only slight hot flashes (no different than what I've been experiencing already for the last 10 years).

For those that have taken this medication what can I expect? Is it worth the risks of taking it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Re: Low dose Premarin - any knowledge?

It can take some time for your menopause symptoms to show themselves in their full glory. Your body has stores of estrogen, and once those are depleted, your symptoms can get more severe.

For me (I was 46 when I had my hyster), it took about 8 or 10 weeks and then my menopause symptoms became very severe. I had hot flushes about 25 times per day, 5 or 6 night sweats, horrible wool-blanket brain, and terrible insomnia. I went to my GP and said HELP! She put me on low dose oral estrogen and I got my life back. On balance, she told me it was better for my health to be on the estrogen, as I was too young for menopause.

You are also pretty young at 35 for menopause. You may get more health benefits by being on the oral estrogen than not being on it. Your body was not meant to be estrogen free this early. Please talk to your doctor about your concerns. There is a balancing act and you need to look at the big picture. Your doc can help with this. The Internet is full of information, but your doctor knows you and your health.

Good luck to you..

(((Hugs)))
Unread 04-07-2012, 10:10 PM

I'm your age as well however I also had endometrial cancer, but my oncologist still put me on premarin .625 dose even though my cancer was estrogen based,He told me that my benefits outweigh my risks because I am so young.

Also, I had a bit of a hard time when I first started premarin, I got pretty bad headaches daily, they have now subsided and I am doing fine. I do forget to take the pill daily though, my menopause symptoms have been next to nothing despite the odd hot flash, but prior to my surgery I was always hot anyways lol. Like marestail said though, our bodies have estrogen already stored and until it's depleted we won't feel the full effects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2012, 05:00 PM

I have been on Premarin since the day after my surgery. I started off on .625, but my menopause symptoms were terrible. Then raised up to .9 and eventually 1.25. I personally have not had any side effects at all.

It is important to talk to your to discuss the pros and cons of this medication. At your age, estrogen is EXTREMELY important for your overall health.

Everyone is different so one person's side effects might not be another's...some, like me, have none and feel fabulous in Premarin. Give your doc a call to discuss your concerns.

to you!!

Unread 04-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Low dose Premarin - any knowledge?

Thank you ladies for the responses! So far I'm feeling good with the medication. My appetite has been reduced, "which isn't a bad thing"! I've had a bit more energy too which is great. The fatigue was horrible!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register