Surgery Postponed- ANEMIA has this happened to anyone else | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Postponed- ANEMIA has this happened to anyone else Surgery Postponed- ANEMIA has this happened to anyone else

Unread 11-17-2002, 07:32 AM
Surgery Postponed- ANEMIA has this happened to anyone else

Dear Sisters,

Well I have been meaning to get on here- but have been unable to do so because I have been sooooo upset.. so here goes with the problem and hope someone has had a similar situation..

My surgery was for 11/20 and all was well until I went for my bloodwork.. I have SEVERE anemia and now must go on iron pills and take lupron to put me in menopause so I can hopefully stop bleeding and we can bring up my blood levels..

Has this happened to anyone else!! If so could you please let me know how you proceeded and that eventually I can go on with my TAH.. the DR is thinking HOPEFULLY mid- January and to say I was upset with that is an understatement.. I was sooo ready- had most of my ducks in a row so to speak and wanted my new life to start on 1/1/03.. when I would have hopefully been feeling much better.. my family has been great and DR too and I know the risks were to high and understand all that, but the disappointment is so there I am barely moving at my normal pace..

I know time will be on my side but hope someone has been there and will let me know- sorry to go on and on, but it is making me feel better.. you are all the best and this is so good for me to do right now.. I will be home most of today and look forward to hearing from you..

Thanks
Karen ;(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2002, 08:12 AM
Sorry you're delayed

Hi,

I did not have surgery postponed because of anemia, but was very anemic beforehand and needed iron injections for quite awhile to bring my iron up. I was still borderlne anemic at the time of my surgery. The good news is that since my surgery I have had iron levels in the TOP of the range. Probably for the first time ever! So there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. Do not despair, although I do understand your disappointment.

Joselle
Unread 11-17-2002, 08:16 AM
anemia

my surgery was 9/12, i was anemic when they did it, but i had to have my blood crossed and matched in case i needed a transfusion, so if you can wait i would. the recovery is hard enough to deal with with out adding to it. and you will have more energy if your iron level is up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2002, 08:46 AM

Hi Karen,

I'm so sorry you're upset about having surgery postponed, but trust me, you want to be at 100% so you can heal!!!

I had to have 2 Lupron injections because my blood levels were low and I was bleeding so heavily. I also took iron (I took Slo FE) twice a day and didn't take Vitamin E because that inhibits the absorption of iron.

My doctor did give me an option of Lupron or a blood transfusion, and after research I opted for the Lupron. Although it worked well for me, there are a number of ladies here who did NOT like it, so you may want to do a search on "Lupron".

z Karen, I know you're frustrated and upset, but you really DO need to take the time to get your levels up!
Unread 11-17-2002, 11:59 AM

I certainly can understand your disappointment. The agony of waiting is so hard.... I have two weeks before my surgery. I have been anemic in the past due to heavy periods due to fibroids. When I went to donate own blood my hemocrit level was up to 45 - I guess that is good. That is from taking lots of iron. The iron makes me sick. I am not one of those people who get constipated on iron - but the opposite. I am going for pre-op blood tests tommorow to make sure iron level is up there. If it is too low I am sure they will postpone surgery.

However, I have had great response with iron pills and vitamin c. Vitamin C helps the iron. Don't take calcium with iron - take iron with tea. Of course, check with your Dr. - but mine did recommend the Extra Vit. C. I'll bet you will be ready for surgery by mid January or before - and you will be much better shape and will probably have a better recovery. Take care of yourself and let us know how things are going.
Unread 11-17-2002, 01:02 PM

Thanks ladies for all the encouragement- I will keep you posted- will be taking slow-fe iron pills and will check with DR tomorrow to see if vit-C should be added!! Look forward to an update soon regarding my new date!!

z
Karen
Unread 11-17-2002, 01:06 PM

Good Luck Karen! By the way - I meant to write don't take iron with tea.
Unread 11-18-2002, 04:19 AM

For more than 6 weeks before my surgery I took a prescription iron supplement - 150mgs 3x/day. After surgery I took 2x/day for six weeks. My DR told me to take each one with a glass of oj, for 2 reasons - #1 the vit c aids in the absorption of the iron and #2 the oj (with pulp) helps prevent constipation that iron frequently causes.

I also asked about taking multi vitamins and she said no, they can interfere with the absorption of the iron. And yes that kind of confused me because of the womens formula vitamins that include iron.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register