Scheduled LAVH Nervous, trying to prepare, suggestions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous, trying to prepare, suggestions? Nervous, trying to prepare, suggestions?

Unread 06-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Nervous, trying to prepare, suggestions?

My name is Amy I am 29 years old soon to be 30. My surgery is scheduled for July 14. I am hating the waiting and looking forward to having the surgery and getting rid of all the pain and problems I have been having. I have been suffering with Endometriosis since the age of 14. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of things I might need to get before my surgery to help with recovery etc. Any tips anyone can give me on what to expect would be super helpful!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Re: Nervous, trying to prepare, suggestions?

I have taken all of the suggestions on this site to prepare. Some of them I did not do, but most of them I did. I just clicked on anything that stated...what should I get, did I forget anything, any other suggestions. Whether or not I use, do it, need it that is to be determined. But at least I am prepared. The biggest thing for me to get ready was the clothing I will be able to wear after! I went and found all the comfy clothes I could find. I went and bought some night gowns. And grannie panties!!!! This site is a lifesaver!!!! Most of my questions were answered through here!!!!
Unread 06-27-2011, 08:17 AM

Hi, I'm 24 and I had my surgery 2 weeks ago for adenomyosis - I was so like you ready to be done with the constant pain! One of my biggies (that I'm so glad I had) was to make sure to have a stool softener for afterwards. Anesthesia & pain meds make me super constipated, so I took one the night before the surgery & plan to keep taking it every day for at least several more weeks. I got Colace - it's expensive, but it's the best for helping keep things moving gently after surgery.

I might also recommend getting some good bandaids to cover your incisions after the bandages come off - make sure the actual bandage part is big enough! And if you're sensitive to adhesive (I am), you might want to test one out beforehand so you don't end up with sore spots.

One more thing you might want to think about is getting some Emergen-c or Airborne or something like that to take to boost your immune system. If you know you are going to have to do lovenox injections after your surgery, make sure whatever you get doesn't include vitamin K, or it will counteract the lovenox! I had some but never took it till after my surgery. . .after I got a terrible cold on my second day home from the hospital. Sneezing, coughing, and blowing your nose with fresh abdominal incisions is NOT fun!

I think there is a sub-forum to this one called "Hints from Members" or something like that. I looked at it before my surgery, and it had a lot of good ideas for things that you just don't normally think of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2011, 12:40 PM

Make sure your Dr knows everything you take, including vitamins & aspirin. Dr's don't like surprises & can change your surgery date if you are taking anything not approved.

Make sure you have a small pillow. You may not need it in the hospital, but you will on the way home. I kept a folded beach towel in my truck to go under the seatbelt any time I went anywhere.

Keep a small notebook with you at all times. Write down any questions you want to ask the Dr, or at pre-op. Also, keep up with who calls or visits in case you want to write notes while recovering. Pretty gel pens are handy, too. Instant mood lifters while you are waiting for appointments or just bored, you can doodle in the note pad.

A friend brought me a book of word puzzles. It was great for boredom, or when I wanted to sleep & my mind wouldn't wind down.

At pre-op, ask about use of cell phones or ipods. Some hospitals tell you not to take them because of the possiblility of theft. Some don't like cell phones because the signal messes with some equipment. Most places isolate the equipment so it isn't a problem, but especially smaller hospitals aren't able to isolate.

For the hospital, take lip balm, hard candy, a few of your own pads, & a hair brush. Travel light as possible because it's always easier to take stuff in than to haul it out. Instead of toothbrush & paste, take disposable Wisp toothbrushes. Think like you're going on a flight. Small quantities of stuff in sample sizes. The air in a hospital is really dry plus the anesthesia will dry your mouth.

Many of the ladies take candy to share with the staff. I wish I had thought to do that, but didn't have time to do a lot of preparation.

Hope this gets you off to a good start.
Unread 06-27-2011, 03:25 PM

Hi,
I read all the stories of the women who have gone before me and what they had for their hospital stay or wished they had taken.

I'm also adding aromatherapy to my list. Plus, check out Tapping. You can look on uTube for videos on Tapping and how to do it. It is a great tool to help you relax when you are anxious or to help reduce pain.

I'm also using relaxation meditation music. My husband had open heart surgery 2 years ago at Mayo Clinic. They gave him music to relax with before and after surgery. I'm going to use his music, but I'm sure you can look around and find some music.

I also found a website with a free ebook on preparing for surgery. It has a lot of great info (emotional, physical, legal and financial).

I have started Zumba exercises to help strengthen my core, plus walking and yoga. I'm even researching starting Kagel exercises just to keep the pelvic floor strong and prepare for any bladder issues.

I've changed my eating habits. I'm eating a raw organic fruits/vegetables/nut diet (a recommended cancer diet). I don't know if I have cancer yet, but I have the pre-cancer condition. I'm also implementing alternative cancer support supplements (just because).

I may be going overboard, but I would rather do a little of everything and get a jump on whatever gets discovered in surgery! I am choosing to be proactive. It keeps me busy while I'm waiting... and that is definitely good

Good Luck.

Goldenlife
Unread 06-28-2011, 05:58 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am feeling better and am glad to have the preparations as a distraction. I always feel better if i am well prepared!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register