Back to work, driving and baths in 3 days per DR at pre-op! HELP PLEASE ADVISE SISTER | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back to work, driving and baths in 3 days per DR at pre-op! HELP PLEASE ADVISE SISTER Back to work, driving and baths in 3 days per DR at pre-op! HELP PLEASE ADVISE SISTER

Unread 07-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Back to work, driving and baths in 3 days per DR at pre-op! HELP PLEASE ADVISE SISTER

My doctor said he felt I would be up to going home the same day of the surgery, I reminded him the surgery was taking place at noon, he agreed to authorize me to stay overnight.

Now, this is the most unbelievable part, I should be able to drive on Monday, resume work in a "couple of days" (I sell real estate and have to be on my feet and jumping in and out the car all day long) baths in 3 days, NO diet restrictions, NO lifting restrictions, didn't dare ask about sex, he'd have probably suggested a romantic getaway next weekend!! I am stunned to say the least.

Now, I am totally in shock and worried. My doctor comes highly recommended and my DH finally pinned him down today on how many of these procedures he has performed (around 100). I asked him what the worst complication was that he ever encountered and he stated that he had to use a regular incision instead of the laparascopic procedure.

Oh, and he doesn't feel I'll need any post-op pain meds, he will send me home with a low-dose pain patch which should last 2 to 3 days. I can't wait to hear what the princesses have to say about this.

Please, ladies tell me if you think I should cancel the whole thing and start over with someone new. Nothing on this board (which I have read religiously for the past 3 weeks) has ever led me to believe that this is possible. BTW, this doctor is board certified, trained in laparascopy, an endocrinologist and a psychologist. Do you think he is just trying to use the mind over matter technique?

I am not afraid of the surgery, just a little freaked out by what I heard today, so contrary to everything I had prepared myself for.

Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Supracervical Laparascopic Hysterectomy 7/19
leaving cervix and ovaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2002, 10:47 PM
Back to work, driving and baths in 3 days per DR at pre-op! HELP PLEASE ADVISE SISTER

.......and you ask if we have any comments??? How old is this man? To have so many degrees, he must be very seasoned.

I think he is bonkers. But...I had looked into this surgery in my early days and it is the least invasive there is. He leaves the pelvic floor intact but you will have a catheter and an IV for 12 -24 hours. Most patients are discharged by 48 hours.

A revisit to the doc on day 4 for the usual, stitch removal and check. OK to drive because there should be not need for narcotic pain relief.

Recovery is really less than any other surgery. About 2 weeks, because you will have a light period and then drainage plus soreness. I think it is 2 weeks until one can return to work and 4 weeks until all is healed.

Don't forget at 6 mos to go for a pap smear and then every year.
Good luck with your surgery....I still think he is bonkers. Getting in and out the car and standing at showings and open houses is way toooooooo much.
Unread 07-15-2002, 11:52 PM
Your surgery

Hi!
I just read your posting and could not believe what I was reading. I am scheduled for the same procedure...the laproscopic hysterectomy..on July 30th. My surgeon has said that there is a possilbility that it will not work and then I would have the tradtional abdominal incision.
I had my pre-op appointment last week and have most of my post op orders and prescriptions already. If the laproscopic procedure works then I will be in the outpatient hospitol overnight. If I feel well enough I will go home the next day, if not I stay another night. If they have to do the traditional incision I will be there longer..approx 3 days depending on how I am.
As for the pain medications..I have a prescription for them already to be filled for after surgery. I can't believe he would not send you home with a presciption for pain. I am also going to be on a antibiodic for 7-10 days.
I would get a second opionion because something does not sound right. If you don't feel good about it, I would go with your feelings. Let me know if I can do anything.
LuAnne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2002, 11:52 PM
Say What???

Hi Lana!!
I had a LAVH but I they took my cervix, and I had more done. I think that going back to work after 2 days is crazy. One you'll be just getting the anesthia out of your system and two I really don't think you'll feel like working.
Most insurance companies will not cover you if you get in an accident after surgery for at least 2 weeks.
Maybe you should call another Dr and ask questions. Or even call your local hospital and ask a nurse on the surgery floor(ask the admitting desk if you can talk to a nurse on the floor that has the patient's who have had a hysterectomy, heck tell them you have a ? only a nurse can answer!!) But maybe one of our dear Sisters here who are nurses can tell you more.
No Matter what do not over do it!! If you don't feel like it don't do it!! You have heard all the princess rules!!!

Crazy I'll tell ya just plain crazy -- the Dr not you!!
Unread 07-16-2002, 03:20 AM
What can I say?

I can't believe what I have just read. Where did this man get all his certificates? Out of a corn flake box? Or where is his mind? I would be running a mile from him. Sorry, but nothing tallies.

I had TAH 7 months ago and while the healing rate might be different, it surely couldn't be that much different. I was not driving for 6 weeks, no baths for 6 weeks, no work for 10 weeks and ummmm no romance for 10 weeks.

3 days - no way!!!!!!

I agree with Lyric Star - ring another doctor, ring the hospital, but please ring around and get some better advice. This is just incredible.

Regards and lots and lots of best wishes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 07-16-2002, 04:37 AM
Sounds Way Too Optimistic

Do youhave time for a second opinion? If not, then follow what your body tells you--and if it says this is too fast, listen to it and slow down! Other sisters here have given excellent advice. Don't rush recovery, Can you get a second opinion or is surgery like next week?
Unread 07-16-2002, 05:22 AM
Hi Lana

(((((Lana)))))
I totally agree with the sisters on this one. I hope you can get a 2nd opinion. Your doc sounds like he needs a good You are the best judge of your body, listen to what it's telling you. No way should you be going back to work in 3 days. That is just plain crazy Good Luck and please keep us posted on how your doing. I will keep you in my ers

Tracy
Unread 07-16-2002, 05:37 AM

Lana,
I'm like shocked. You need weeks, not days to recover. My advice to you would be to cancel, find a different doctor, then reschedule. You need a supporting doctor that is concerned, this one obviously is not. Take care, and find yourself a good doctor.
Mine is a woman, and she is great.
Haley
Unread 07-16-2002, 05:51 AM

OMG!
This guy sounds like a QUACK. If I were in your shoes I would cancel the surgery and find myself a new Dr who is open to your questions and concerns and who doesn't tell you to return to work in 3 days. This is the nuttiest thing I have heard of!

Also, beware of the 100 procedure answer. In 1993 I too had a Dr tell me he had done "over 100" laparoscopies and he proceeded to puncture my iliac artery and vein during the procedure with one of the instruments. I woke up in ICU and stayed there for 9 days. Yes, I am sure some Dr's have truly done the number of surgeries that they say they have, BUT with the rest of this guy's credentials that you mentioned, I would be very cautious. After this happened to me I found out that they receive their training to do laps on PIGS. Sorry, but our insides do not look like bacon! (and don't taste like it either)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Tread carefully. It sounds like you have enough doubt in your mind that it will guide you to make the right choice.

Best,
Lynn
Unread 07-16-2002, 06:09 AM
Take 2 weeks

Naw, you can't go back to work in 2-3 days. The "standard" for LSH is returning to work after 2 weeks. My doc said not to work out for 3 weeks, so that would add another week for jobs with heavy lifting. Having said that, I understand it has been done.

Yes, if nothing goes wrong (requiring require regular abdominal surgery, or bladder repair, or something like that) the recovery is pretty speedy. I was at the hospital (outpatient surgery center) for less than 10 hours, and made phone calls when I got home. I could have stayed up to 23 hours without being admitted to the hospital, but it was completely unnecessary. You won't go home with a catheter, or even to recovery, for that matter; they remove that immediately after surgery. I had pain meds post-op, but nothing like morphine. Then I took pain pills and anti-nausea meds for a couple of days, most of the time to avoid pain rather than relieve pain. You might have more or less pain, but you will be really sore. I had to roll out of bed really carefully, and do everything very carefully, for that matter. It won't be easy getting in and out of the car.

As for work, I was able to sit at the screen and work for a few hours a few days after the surgery. I didn't go back to work for 2 weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register