Which way out? LSH, LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Which way out?  LSH, LAVH Which way out? LSH, LAVH

Unread 03-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Which way out? LSH, LAVH

Hi gals! I'm researching to determine which procedure I will go with to have my dysfunctional parts removed...I'm curious...does anyone know about the potential of endometrial tissue being left in the abdomen with the LSH procedure? If I understand this correctly, the LSH uses some device to break apart the uterus so it can be removed through little incisions...wouldn't that leave behind endometrial cells and wouldn't we then be subject to endometriosis in the abdomen? Please share! Thank you! I need to decide which way I want to get my bad parts out! I appreciate your input...Of course, if things aren't conducive to either of these...we are looking at the "old way" out! THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Which way out? LSH, LAVH

I just had LSH on Fri 3/13. I asked my doctor same question. She said in the unlikely event that endometrial cells were left behind they could not proliferate because they would not have a blood supply.
Unread 03-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Which way out? LSH, LAVH

Wow! That is good to know. How did it go for you? I'm wondering too if it is necessary to leave the cervix...Seems like a better healing time but does it help anything down the road? What I've read so far doesn't seem to indicate that it makes a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Which way out? LSH, LAVH

I had an LSH on Dec 10th. I left the cervix and took the right ovary. I was having mini periods - but as of now - KNOCK ON WOOD- have not had one yet this month. I think for the first 2 months I overdid it!! I had a couple of functions - and did not rest as much as I should have. Hopefully that is the case anyway. The sex does not seem any different - so that should be covered for you. I had blood work done - last week - my hormone levels seem to be at a good point. I am 42 and have not had any children.

My recovery time seemed to be the same as others - about 6 weeks or so - but that varies for everyone.

Did you Dr. say which would be best for you - or like mine - did they leave it up to you??

Good luck!!
Unread 03-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Which way out? LSH, LAVH

Hi Ras304,

I had a LSH and it is still one of the best things I ever did for my long term health. I am still very pleased with my hyst results.

You can get two schools of thinking on whether to leave the cervix or not. In pre-op, my Dr. and I discussed my keeping my cervix. My Dr. told me that he thought the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. I had had normal pap smears for years and my cervix was sturdy...so I decided to leave my cervix.

As far as endometrial tissue left on the cervix...I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst and that has helped to prevent me from having mini-periods. If a Hyster Sister leaves one or both ovaries and the cervix...there can be a chance of a mini-period in post-op. Generally, ladies report needing a panty liner at that time of the month.

Hoep that helps.

best wishes~

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register