How much walking? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much walking? How much walking?

Unread 02-15-2006, 04:43 PM
How much walking?

Hey sisters,
Some of you sound like you have a plan for how much you can walk and when. My doctor only said that the women who move, recover the best and no working out for 4 weeks. I am walking about two blocks per day at this point. We live on a hill and on the road I can either go up or down, with hardly any flat ground to walk on.
Also, nothing hurts when I walk, but about two hours later I usually have burny belly for awhile. Is that from the exertion?
Next 50 Years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2006, 04:50 PM
How much walking?

My sister, who is a nurse, recommended to me 5 mins every hour... just around the garden, the downstairs. I actually try and time myself and an alarm goes off. I haven't done it today and feel like the pits, so I am proof that walking works. Keep going!
Unread 02-15-2006, 05:21 PM
How much walking?

Yes, the pain tells me>" Hey you did too much". Walking is good. No doubt, but.... If you push yourself to long your belly gives you some pain. At least it does for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2006, 06:13 PM
How much walking?

no one gave me any specifics, but i want every time i go to the restroom, 5-10 minutes every hour or so. i go get the staples out next Monday, perhaps i will get more details then.

there is a fine line between swelly belly and enough to feel good.
Unread 02-15-2006, 06:35 PM
How much walking?

You have to pace yourself so you won't overdo it. Walking was a big part of my pre-surgery planning. I wanted to walk as soon as I could.

I started walking...just a few steps and with assistance...as soon as my cath came out. Then I'd nap and when I woke I walked a few more steps until I was going up and down the hall at the hospital. When I came home, I had a map in mind...from bed to bathroom (of course!). For longer journeys, I went from my bed to the guest room window, back to the hall and to the kitchen. As I felt better, I added rooms to my walk and by the time I was doing figure 8s around my dining table and living sofa several times a day, I made my move outside. I went down the steps, picked up my walking stick and did one round of my driveway. I added rounds as I could . I stayed away from long hills and used the walk from my driveway up to my front porch to get used to hills.

It really depends upon how you feel, but don't get over anxious or feel so good that you increase your exercise too quickly. I mean, I spent probably two weeks doing the "figure 8" thing.

Walking helps with the gas, with bowel movement, with general feeling better and a host of other things I can't think of right now. I highly recommend a walking stick. When you are alone, you sometimes need something to lean on just to rest a momemt and get your breath. This little support gives you some peace of mind.

Good luck and I wish for you a continued speedy recovery.
Unread 02-15-2006, 06:42 PM
How much walking?

Good for all of you ing

My Dr.released me to start walking short distances 1 week post op, he said don't go too far or get too tired.

And, always remember to carry your cell phone just in case you start feeling faint or weak-help is just a phone call away.

By 8 weeks, I was up to 20 blocks a day. I think it helped me alot to regain my strength.

I am a member @ Curves but have not gone back yet due to some continued soreness on one spot on my abdomen. Plan to return @ my 6th month mark!

Best wishes in your recovery
Unread 02-15-2006, 07:49 PM
How much walking?

Hi Next 50 years,

I have been walking at home and to the community mail box. My mail box is about a 1/4 block away and some days that is to much, other days it is nothing. The other day I walked the other direction to the drop of mailbox, about a block away and that was not to much.

Today I went to work for a few hours and did a lot of walking there and I am feeling it in my sides and back tonight. The heating pad is doing fine and I have a feeling tomorrow will be a couch day.

For me it is a day at a time.

Hope all is going well for you, haven't heard from you in a few days.
Unread 02-15-2006, 08:08 PM
How much walking?

I do walking all day long around the house -- couch to bathroom, which is up stairs, or couch to fridge to get a drink - I TRIED to go to the mall box the other day and almost couldn't make it back. Had to force myself and paid the price that night with pain.
Unread 02-15-2006, 08:17 PM
How much walking?

I walked around the block today, my 8th day post op...It was fine and I wasn't in any pain afterwards. I will try to do a little more each day. I feel so FAT not exercising...I am also a Curves member and can't wait to get back to that.
Unread 02-15-2006, 09:45 PM
How much walking?

I"ve started walking quite a bit. Every day I go up to see my horse and I go for a walk with him. He strolls next to me like a huge puppy, and we're doing about a mile or so.
He's a mannerly gentleman and seems to enjoy walking with me, but I"m sure he's wondering why I"m not riding him, yet. LOL!
I added a small hill yesterday and was pleased that I was comfortable and pain free afterwards.
I am going to start on the treadmill next week at the gym, too, but meanwhile I am enjoying being outside and walking with my buddy next to me.
I can't wait to get back into my workout and riding routine, but til then, the walking is the best thing I can do to keep some fitness and muscle tone going, and I"m grateful that it's allowed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register