What to do with hospital bag? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to do with hospital bag? What to do with hospital bag?

Unread 06-19-2008, 11:03 PM
What to do with hospital bag?

So I think the plan is that I am going to drive myself to the hospital for surgery. The reason is because my husband will just be getting off a graveyard shift and I don't want him driving an hour home by himself. I feel I will be fine.

So would I just bring my hospital bag in with me when I head in to the hospital since I guess I won't be able to go out to my car after the procedure?

Oh and I should add this is my decision to have my husband not come, not his. But as time gets closer we shall see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2008, 11:39 PM

How do you plan to get the other car back home?
If I were you, I'd leave the bag in the trunk of the car and have your hubby bring it up when he comes to see you unless he's not coming up later that day.
You might ask your hospital if there is a place for your hubby to sleep. I read that some of the ladies were getting rooms with a recliner where hubby could sleep.
Unread 06-19-2008, 11:46 PM

I would suggest having someone go with you.

Personally, I wanted DH there and would not have scheduled my hyster at a time he couldn't be there. He has always been at my surgeries (God bless him!) - as I needed the support and comfort of knowing he was there.

If you were to go alone, leave the suitcase in the trunk and have DH bring it in when he comes to visit. The other thing is - if you drive yourself - how will you get car home when released? You can't drive for first couple of weeks.

How does your hubby feel about not being there? I pray you and DH make the right decision as it gets closer to time. And best of wishes for surgery and recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2008, 12:53 AM

I don't know about where your hospital. But here, if you are having surgery you are assigned a nurse about admission into pre-surgery. The nurse can lock up your things in a locker in the prep area, and is responsible for getting it to your room when you go. Only your nurse has the key. That is the way when my BF had heart surgery a couple of months ago. It worked out well, than I didn't have to carry it around all day either.
Unread 06-20-2008, 02:43 PM

He probably would not get any sleep waiting for me during surgery. I figure this way he could just stay home and sleep and we don't have to get anyone to come watch the kids.

I would not expect him to come up until I am released so therefore bringing the bag in with him would not work either. We are a little over an hour away from the hospital so I figure I would save him a trip and he could see me when I am released.

We would just have someone drive him up to the hospital and he can drive us home in our car that is there.

I guess I will have go ask the hospital. Oh I figure I will be so out of it after surgery I won't even know he is there anyways.

But again this is all just my thoughts, we have not really discussed it. I am just thinking about him and his safety, since he would just be getting off a 13 hour graveyard shift and I think that is too far for him to drive on no sleep and being so sleepy he probably would not remember anything or be able to function enough to help me. I figure I will be in good care with the nurses.
Unread 06-20-2008, 03:06 PM

We only live 5 min from the castle and my original plan was for DH to be off the day of surgery and work while I stayed over, he could visit in the evenings after work and then go home to my 4 cats.

Plan changed when I was heaving every few minutes after I got to my room because the morphine made me so sick. I had a private room so he stayed the whole time. It was nice to have someone there to help me get to and from the bathroom w/out waiting for a nurse to have time to help.

Just keep in mind that the best laid plans go by the wayside.
Unread 06-20-2008, 04:24 PM

I just live around the corner from the hospital I went to (not my favorite, but it was handy) and prior to that I've been in some farther away. The majority of hospitals will take your bag and tag it and make sure it gets to your room.

I didn't want anyone waiting around for me either, during any of my surgeries. It's boring and stressful for them and I'm out of it so I don't know if they're there or not. Most recovery rooms will call family members if instructed to let them know when you are out of surgery and how you're doing. You'll generally be in a recovery room about an hour (I've been aware of it once or twice, but mostly just remember waking up in my room), and then it takes a couple more hours to get you in your room and for you to have stats taken and get fully awake--at which point you may wish to have pain meds which will put you right back to sleep!

One quick note, keep a smaller fanny pack inside your large bag and once you're awake, ask someone to give it to you so you can attach it to your bed rail. Keep you immediate needs in it like cell phone, mp3 player, lip balm, hand lotion, glasses, pen/paper, gas X, gum (great for dry-mouth from medication) and those little things you can slip on your finger and brush your teeth with that already have toothpaste in them. This was probably the best pre-op prep I did for myself. That little fanny pack was my comfort.
Other than that, if you can work out how the car can get back after your surgery, and check to be sure it won't be towed (some hospitals don't allow cars to park for more than a few hours), I'd say your plans with your hubby are certainly workable. It's nice that you thought about that for him since he'll have more to help out with later.......
Unread 06-20-2008, 09:07 PM

the only thing i would add is not to over-pack ... honestly, the only thing i needed from the ('weekender') bag i brought was chapstick! i could have put that in my pocket! i needed to keep my eyeglasses up until going into OR (they have you signing stuff up to the last minute!), and they were brought up with me when i got to my room ... if you get a ride to the hospital, you can have DH (or anyone else) bring anything else you might need the next day ... you're really not going to care if you don't have your cell phone, magazines, ipod, etc. for a few hours, as you're going to still be groggy from anesthesia. good luck!
Unread 06-21-2008, 12:20 PM

Our hospital had lockers you could put stuff in that was in the pre-op area. You might want to ask about that. You REALLY don't need much. I did change into some loose fitting lounge capri's (Costco & wonderful) on day two and a tank top. Personally I don't like hospital gowns. The only thing I needed was clean undies, I took my own pads, tooth brush, Listerine, floss, lip balm, eye drops, lotion, deodorate and pony tail holders. I also had my MP3 player with me to use in pre-op then DH took it home. You really don't need much. Good luck!
Unread 06-21-2008, 04:45 PM

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I hate the hospital gowns! I remember when I had colon surgery and got up out of bed waiting for the BR. The nurse was helping another lady in there and the door to our room was open. Well I thought nothing of the door being open until I turned around and saw some guy that had been staring at my nekkid behind! grrr
I have to say I was embarassed, dh a bit mad. I can laugh about it now, but...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register