Hysterectomy surgery scheduled in 4 days | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy surgery scheduled in 4 days Hysterectomy surgery scheduled in 4 days

Unread 01-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Hysterectomy surgery scheduled in 4 days

I was scheduled for robotic hysterectomy for this coming Thursday, Jan. 7, 2010. However, I just received a phone call from my doctor regarding my pre-testing results, and it seems that my CA125 blood test (a marker for ovarian cancer) is showing elevated levels, and because of the size of my uterus (size of a 5 month pregnant woman), my doctor doesn't feel comfortable performing robotic surgery. Although she says the elevated level could be from endometriosis/adenomyosis, she doesn't want to risk morcellating (remove in pieces) the uterus to remove through small incisions, so it seems I will have to have a traditional hysterectomy with incisions in my lower abdomen (incisions from my myomectomy). She suggested that I get a second opinion from other doctors who perform robotic surgery, but at this point, I just want this pain to stop. I am completely devastated and don't know what I should do. Anyone have any suggestions???????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Re: Hysterectomy surgery scheduled in 4 days

flygal
I can understand that you are devastated.
Will this doc perform the abdominal surgery on Jan 7 if you should decide not to get another opinion from robotic docs?

I would think it would make sense to have the abdominal surgery if the cutting up of the uterus would cause any other problems.

Did she give you any names of other docs to consult? How quickly would this happen (I live in Ontario, Canada in an area where a second opinion could mean months or more).

My thoughts and prayers are going out to you right now.
Hugs,
Suzanne
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianlady View Post
flygal
I can understand that you are devastated.
Will this doc perform the abdominal surgery on Jan 7 if you should decide not to get another opinion from robotic docs?

I would think it would make sense to have the abdominal surgery if the cutting up of the uterus would cause any other problems.

Did she give you any names of other docs to consult? How quickly would this happen (I live in Ontario, Canada in an area where a second opinion could mean months or more).

My thoughts and prayers are going out to you right now.
Hugs,
Suzanne
Thanks Suzanne,
My doctor will be performing the abdominalsurgery, and yes, she does have the names of other doctors for me to consult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2010, 01:20 PM

I am confused. I was told by my OB that with the da vinci she will be removing my uterus through my vagina. Do different doctor's perform the surgery differently?
thanks,
alicia
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:37 PM

My Da Vinci will involve using the morcellator to cut up the uterus, but I have seen film on YouTube of a Da Vinci wilth removal through the vagina.
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanotis View Post
My Da Vinci will involve using the morcellator to cut up the uterus, but I have seen film on YouTube of a Da Vinci wilth removal through the vagina.
Thanks for responding. The issue with removing the uterus vaginally is the same as removing it through the small incisions. If God forbid, they remove the uterus either way & later discover thatit was cancerous,I risk the chance of leaving some cancerous cells behind & thus have a whole set of other problems to deal with. Please note, I have had 2 biopsies of the endometrial area & the results were negative. I don't know what to do.
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:53 PM

flygal
Given what you have posted, I would be inclined to go with the abdominal.
Talk with your doctor and see what advice she gives. She may want to give you the opportunity to consult further, but may also be willing to go directly to the abdominal.
I understand your feelings regarding leaving cancer cells with the robotic.
If you have a bad feeling about the robotic, go with the abdominal.
Hugs,
Suzanne
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:56 PM

It's my understanding that when there's a risk of cancer they have to be VERY careful not to spread the cancer around when they remove it. I think it's good if the surgeon isn't comfortable that they tell you BEFORE you get to the OR.

It's important that whatever you choose is something you can be comfortable about (or, as comfortable as anyone can get about this stuff). If you can accept the abdominal surgery, then it's fair to just go ahead.

It does sound like, with the size of your uterus and risk of cancer, that even if you find a doctor to do the robotic surgery they MAY need to switch to abdominal anyway (a few people have had that happen from what I've read on here). But, if you really need to have someone try the robotic first, then you deserve to have that happen.

Whatever you choose, I hope you can resolve this quickly and get to the healing side. Take care.
Unread 01-04-2010, 02:10 PM

My surgeon checked the size of my uterus and said it was small so he could do the Da Vinci. I am having this because of adenocarcinoma of the uterus. I don't know what grade it is, but the doctor thought it was early stage. I think the size of the uterus is the most important thing.
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:24 PM

Ok, thanks for helping me out with that one.
Flygal,
As far as which surgery I agree with one of the other women, do what is best and safest for you and what you are the most comfortable with. I was told I needed the da vinci, and I may get the TAH just to expedite this whole process. I am in too much pain to wait. If you want a second opinion than you should get one, unless you are ok with what your doctor told you. You did give me a good question to ask that I never thought of, am I getting the CA125 blood test prior to my surgery. I have had it once before due to all my cysts and it was fine, but I have adeno and endo and didn't know that those conditions can cause an elevated level.....but I am going to ask the new doctor anyway. I am getting a third opinion this week and have a fourth set up for jan 13th if I need it. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Follow your gut feelings...
alicia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register