Tummy Sleeping? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tummy Sleeping? Tummy Sleeping?

Unread 02-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Tummy Sleeping?

Ok, I'm a side & tummy sleeper. Came home from hospital yesterday. Slept in my bed last night semi propped up yet during my sleep I attempted to roll over onto my side and tummy. Talk about a rude wake up!! I was awoken by a very sharp pain. Obviously my tummy was telling me "oh no you don't!".

Was wondering how long it took others before they could sleep on their tummies again?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Re: Tummy Sleeping?

I am just starting to sleep on my belly a bit more and I am just over 3 weeks post op. It feels nice to stretch out and actually sleep these days! You should always check with the DR but that is where I am at this time. Good luck
Unread 02-12-2010, 12:09 PM

I've been able to roll onto my belly for about a week or so. But, today was the first time it was comfortable and not 'weird'. Side sleeping is ok now too. If you feel like you have to roll to the side, then get a little pillow to put next to you to support your belly. That helped me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2010, 12:25 PM

I am 5 weeks out - When I was still taking Rx pain meds I could lay on my stomach. When I went off and just used Advil, it's too painful. Most of my night-time pain comes from gas - I'm having a horrible time with it. Put myself on a strict diet eating only foods that don't produce gas - not helping much.
Unread 02-12-2010, 01:15 PM

About a week for me. I used my body pillow to prop by belly up and put the bottom part in between my knees. I just slept on my side without it last night for the first time.
Unread 02-12-2010, 01:30 PM

I'm 16 days post op and have been sleeping on my side or stomach for a few days now, when I was first released from the hospital I was staying with friends and was sleeping on a futon that they had enhanced by putting a cushion under the mattress as well as a board, anyways it was hard to sleep on my back on that so I would usually sleep on my side but even that hurt. Now that I am home in my own bed I find myself sleeping partially on my stomach and partially on my side. I found a pillow and throw blanket set at Walmart, they have them out for Valentines day and I bought one, the pillow is a white heart and is great for putting under my tummy when I sleep at night and works well to go between the seatbelt and my incision and the blanket is bright pink with butterfly's all over it, very colorful and really cheers me up plus it is really thick and super soft!

Jaye
Unread 02-12-2010, 01:40 PM

I have been laying on my side for about almost 2 weeks... but also prefer my stomach. The last few nights I rolled onto my stomach but could only stay there a little bit before I felt sore... than I had to lay on my back for awhile. Very anxious for the night I can sleep in my normal pattern.

I have also switched sides on the bed with DH as it's closer to the bathroom and don't have to jump over dogs/cats to get to it! Miss my side of the bed!!

Still only sleeping a few hours at a time during the night. Any time I wake up, I need to use the bathroom or I can't fall back to sleep.
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:09 PM

I usually sleep a combo of my side and stomach propped on my body pillow, when first home had to settle for just my side with pillow, and that would only last a while and I would be on my back. 2 weeks today and I have been sleeping my old way mostly, sometimes its uncomfortable and I switch to other side for a while.
Unread 02-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Hello! Sisters!
I had my surgery on Tuesday 1/19 and slept on my back due to all the stuff they had me hooked up to. I went home the next day and awoke sleeping on my tummy the following morning and have slept that way ever since. I have tried everything to NOT sleep on my tummy but even at 9 months pregnant I used to do it. It actually feels comforting to me, like wearing a belly binder. I am a large woman to begin with so maybe that makes a difference? Not sure..... I've often wondered about getting older and being hospitalized and what I would do in that case cause I just cannot sleep on my back for very long!
Unread 02-13-2010, 09:48 AM

I am 9 days post-up and still can't sleep directly on my stomach without pain. Maybe that is why I wake up so much. I've been a stomach sleeper for most of my life. The best I can do is sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees and "hugging" another pillow. I can't wait until I can sleep on my belly once again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register