How much time off work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much time off work? How much time off work?

Unread 01-01-2007, 06:50 AM
How much time off work?

Haven't been on line in a while. Enjoyed Christmas and a mini-vacation to the mountains with my family. Now the New Year has arrived and things are beginning to settle down a bit. The reality has hit home. I won't have a uterus in 9 days and I'm having my last period at this time. Going out with a bang! I actually haven't had the time or the energy to actually "nest" and get things prepared. Hopefully I can accomplish something this week. What doesn't get done just won't get done.
As for work, my employer is trying to pin me down to an exact date that I plan to return to work. I do understand that she has a medical facility to operate and she has to have RN coverage. I have asked for 6 weeks. But I'm thinking really maybe only 4 weeks if I have the vaginal procdure done. The doc says my uterus is borderline with fibroids and that I may end up with abdominal. Do you think 4 wks if LAVH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2007, 06:58 AM
How much time off work?

drsrnsalter,

I think if you are only having an LAVH and you COMPLETELY rest those 4 weeks you will probably be okay. Anything other than that and definitely take the 6. I am going on three weeks out with an LAVH and I feel pretty good most days - enough that I want to get and and do things - but it is EASY to do TOO much and then you crash!

To be on the safe side - I would tell your employer that you will try to come back in 4 but you may need to go home early some days. Especially if your job requires you to be on your feet alot!
Unread 01-01-2007, 07:02 AM
How much time off work?

I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op from a TVH and I'm really glad at this point that I won't be back at work until the 6th week. I'm a university professor and do a lot of standing. I had no idea how I would feel as I'm a type A and always go-go-go. Some days I feel like I'm dragging. And, anytime that I overdo, my body sends me a very clear message that I need to rest.

I think you need to plan for the 6 wks and if all works out well and you can go back at 4 weeks, all the better. However, it's better to do that than have to ask for additional time. You'll be glad you did.

Best wishes to you on Jan. 10.
____
48 yrs young, TVH with A&P, adenomyosis and fibroids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2007, 08:14 AM
How much time off work?

Hi,

I would take 6 weeks since you are probably going to be on your feet a lot.
Unread 01-01-2007, 09:51 AM
How much time off work?

I went in to the OR expecting a TAH/BSO and ended up having a TVH, keeping ovaries. When I came out of the OR, I was so excited, thinking that my recovery would be much faster and that would be able to return to work earlier: my doctor explained that, with the TVH, my recovery would be easier, since I didn't have an incision... but that it would take just as long, due to all the internal stitches.

I went back to work at 5 1/2 weeks Post-Op and really wish I'd waited a little longer: while I was lucky to have a mostly sedentary job and the opportunity to walk around as needed, I still would end up very achy by noon and exhausted by the time I got home.

I would suggest checking with your doctor before settling on date, explaining the kind of job you have: if you have physical job, that requires a lot of walking, lifting and bending, you may actually need extra time off.

From my experience, it's best to plan for the 6 weeks, especially since, at this point, you don't know which procedure you will end up having: that way, you wouldn't find yourself in a position where you've told your employer 4 weeks and end up needing 6 weeks... or more

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. We'll be with you every step of the way.
Unread 01-01-2007, 10:44 AM
How much time off work?

Wow I feel really lucky! Everyone is talking about 6 weeks off and my doctor (female) gave me a 3 months sick note when I saw her 1 week post op. I have still got another 4 weeks off.I had total removal through abdomen due to fibroids. I wasn't allowed to drive for 6 weeks but I feel great. I work nights in a men's prison and could easily do my job now but they won't take me back early because of sick note and insurance cover not allowing it-not that I'm complaining having Christmas and New year at home with my family.I don't think there is a text book time but you have to see how you feel. I am still very careful not to lift any weight as my colleague moved house 6 weeks post op and is now waiting to go in for major reconstructive surgery as she did too much lifting. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 01-01-2007, 11:40 AM
How much time off work?

Thanks for all your responses. I believe you have helped me quickly make up my mind that I will take the whole 6 wks. I spend the majority of my work day on my feet.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register