My Calamity | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-23-2008, 08:47 PM
My Calamity

"It's up to you" The words I am tired of hearing...

My choices are an ablation, which my doctor has stated several times that for me may not work or a hysterectomy. Those are my two options. Doc has stated several times that the ablation may not work, or if it does, I might still have to have a hysterectomy down the road...

So, when I ask her what I should do - all she says is "It's up to you, your decision".

I had infertility issues in my 20's ( I am 40 now) and after dealing wiht that for several years, we decided not to try any longer. I have been on and off (mostly on) birth control pills for 18 years and decided to get off them when my blood pressure started to rise last year. Had NO issues with my cycle until 6 monts after I got off the pills. Last March I spotted for 28 days. Had my annual pap (normal), and then started bleeding heavy for three weeks. Had a endometrial biopsy (clear) and a sonogram. Found nothing but a very small fibriod and a few small cysts on ovary, along with the fact I was not ovulating. Blood pressure in check, started Birth Conrol Pills - doubled up for a week stopped the three week long heavy period. Nothing for three weeks, spotting for a week and I am now in my 28th day of heavy cramping and heavy bleeding (along with all the nastyness). I have actually missed work for half the month - never have I had to do that!!!

Every day, I think - it's gonna stop and it comes on with a vengence. My doc has had be try to double up on the pills again - not working this time.

I can't make my decision, I have at least decided to go in for a 2nd opinion. Besides that, I am just so sick and tired of this. So sad, I just want this to stop!

I am so glad this site is here....thank you to everyone who takes time to post so that people like me can learn from your experiences.

My 2nd opinion in next Monday. Until then, just taking it easy, taking my iron, and feeling sorry for myself.

Michelle
aka: MyCalamity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2008, 09:49 PM
My Calamity

Hi Calamity!
You're in a great place here! The women on this board are awesome!
I'm sorry you are going through everything that you are experiencing.
It's great that you are getting a second opinion. Maybe the new Dr will be able to help you weigh your options and make your decision a little easier.
A hysterectomy is a major surgery and it seems to me that while it is your decision, your Dr could be a little more helpful.
I have a friend that had the ablation and has been doing very well for about 6 months so far. Some women end up with a hysterectomy after an ablation fails. I had a hysterectomy in Feb and for me, it was a good decision. I had a cancer scare, but in the end even if I hadn't had the scare, it was the right decision for me.
I know I haven't been very helpful, but I wanted to say hello and welcome you to the site.
Good luck with your decision, what ever you decide to do!

Cat
Unread 06-23-2008, 11:54 PM
My Calamity

I think you are wise to be seeking a second opinion!

I would also suggest you take some time to check out the Endometrial Ablation Discussion Group where you can find women who have had ablations for various reasons. The info they can share could help you make your decision.

Weigh all of the pros and cons for you for each decision and then decide which is right for you! It can be hard and sometimes it is easier when a doctor flat out says "this is the treatment option for you, there are no alternatives!" Keep talking to your doctor(s) and seek additional opinions as necessary! S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2008, 07:48 AM
My Calamity

Of course you are wise to get a 2nd opinion maybe even a 3rd. i had an ablation on june 6..it is too early to tell if its a success..but my doc told me the same thing..he said the only sure way to stop all that bleeding is a hysterectomy but why go right to that when we can try an ablation first??? im 45 and apparently not ready for menopause. hysterectomy is major surgery. ablation is a minor procedure..too me its a no-brainer..no doctor is going to guarantee an ablasion..if they do, run out the door. of course we are all different and have variables in our lives that prevent 4-6 weeks of rest. so far im happy i tried this first...keeping my fingers crossed...good luck to you.
Unread 06-25-2008, 12:10 PM
My Calamity

It's amazing what bleeding the fibriod can create. I was diagnosed last summer with a 2mm fibroid. I bled almost constantly.

Had my Thermachoice ablation done in October and the bleeding has been cut tremendously, but not what I was promised. ( My doc said 2-3 days of spotting and I've not seen that yet. ) I'm waiting a year and then talking to my doctor again. I've had pain related issues that I didn't have before the ablation. I always had cramps my whole life ( well, since starting my period ) but this is a different kind of pain altogether.

I can't worry if the ablation is a failure or not. It was one day out of my life, although a rough one due to having a tubal at the same time. But no regrets for trying. My guess is that within a year or two, I'll be having a hyst, but I'm hoping that the pain and the bleeding lessen by then.

I'm also 33, which gives me not a good chance for the procedure to be a success.

Good luck w/ your decision!
Unread 06-25-2008, 11:24 PM
My Calamity

Thank you all for the replys.

I am on day 30 now, with no changes, just heavy cramping and bleeding - ugh!!

Can't wait for my second opinion on Monday. Got my medical records today to take to my appointment on Monday.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register