hematoma and MRSA | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hematoma and MRSA hematoma and MRSA

Unread 06-25-2010, 10:31 PM
hematoma and MRSA

I had a total hysterectomy on May 24th. All seemed to have gone well, except that the 5 inch or so incision I had expected the doctor to make was actually 45 centimeters long and bristling with staples. I spent the night and went home the next day. All was going well. My husband and my kids were at my beck and call. I didn't have to lift a finger. So it began to worry me when, although the right side seemed to be healing well, the left side was hurting more and beginning to ooze blood. So on June 5th I went to the ER and was told that I had a huge hematoma and a MRSA infection, ( a potentially life threatening staph)
On the 6th I was back in surgery and emerged with a wound vac and an IV full of Vancomyicin. I now have a PICC line on the inside of my right arm and get a dose of dilauded every 6 hours. I have a wound vac attached to my incision site and today is the one month anniversary of my surgery and the 2nd day I haven't had vaginal bleeding. I got so excited when I was finally allowed to wear panties you'd cry. I do physical therapy in bed for my upper body but I am so weak and hurting it takes all I've got just to make it down the hall and back. Just standing long enough to brush my teeth sets my back on fire.
I don't really have a question here. Just wanted to let women know what could possibly happen so that they can better weigh the pros and cons. I'm currently in a LTAC facility and the doc says that if I continue to progress as I have been I should be done in another 5 weeks.
Keep your fingers crossed.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Re: hematoma and MRSA

somnio,
I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with this. Prayers for you in hopes that you will soon be on your way home.
Unread 07-18-2010, 12:41 AM

Today is July 18th. I finally got to come home Wednesday. The wound vac has been replaced by twice daily "wet to dry" dressing and that itchy PICC line is out. My incision is down to 20 centimeters and although its closing quite nicely I'm still taking some potent painkillers. Still haven't been able to take a bath or shower and I think thats about the worst part. I'm about out of time for my FMLA leave from work and am hoping to get approved for a LOA extention. I'm out of PTO so I wl have to start paying the full cost of my health insurance, Sure am glad I opted for that disability insurance. So thats the update for now. I really wish had not had this surgery. I don't feel that the inconveinece and discomfort I was having outweighs all that I have/am experiencing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somnio View Post
I had a total hysterectomy on May 24th. All seemed to have gone well, except that the 5 inch or so incision I had expected the doctor to make was actually 45 centimeters long and bristling with staples. I spent the night and went home the next day. All was going well. My husband and my kids were at my beck and call. I didn't have to lift a finger. So it began to worry me when, although the right side seemed to be healing well, the left side was hurting more and beginning to ooze blood. So on June 5th I went to the ER and was told that I had a huge hematoma and a MRSA infection, ( a potentially life threatening staph)
On the 6th I was back in surgery and emerged with a wound vac and an IV full of Vancomyicin. I now have a PICC line on the inside of my right arm and get a dose of dilauded every 6 hours. I have a wound vac attached to my incision site and today is the one month anniversary of my surgery and the 2nd day I haven't had vaginal bleeding. I got so excited when I was finally allowed to wear panties you'd cry. I do physical therapy in bed for my upper body but I am so weak and hurting it takes all I've got just to make it down the hall and back. Just standing long enough to brush my teeth sets my back on fire.
I don't really have a question here. Just wanted to let women know what could possibly happen so that they can better weigh the pros and cons. I'm currently in a LTAC facility and the doc says that if I continue to progress as I have been I should be done in another 5 weeks.
Keep your fingers crossed.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2010, 12:27 PM

wow, what a horrible journey you've had since surgery... glad you're able to get home and get the PICC line out... i've had them twice and hated them with passion... prayers you continue to heal and do it quickly...
Unread 07-18-2010, 04:18 PM

thank you
Unread 07-18-2010, 06:20 PM

welcome back home somnio!

sounds like you have been through some tough times. maybe someday you will see a purpose for what you have gone through, or maybe not. in either case, it's certain this hard outcome will leave a lasting impact for times and events yet untold; but perhaps there will be something ultimately good that comes of the mrsa trial you experienced post-op. i'm sorry you've been going through so much suffering and disappointment as a result of surgery. no doubt you originally consented to all the potential risks in order to pursue wholeness and wellness -- so try to keep that goal in mind when your circumstances are tempting you to think you never should have done it. for now, i hope you continue to make healing progress, and find solutions for covering the necessary health insurance and bills. keep hopeful that you will make a full return to the activities that lift your heart and spirit -- and possibly even some new ones as a result of all this.

wishing you continued healing...
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:51 AM

OMG, what a nightmare. Don't blame you for wishing you hadn't had the hyst., I would say the same except they found cancer so no options. It sounds like at least they've got the infection under control, I hope your disability insurance takes good care of you. One shouldn't have to worry about money and work while healing from such a serious event. Wishing you lots better healing from here on out. Yes "stuff" happens -- but it shouldn't happen to us, right? Got my fingers crossed for you!
Unread 07-19-2010, 07:07 AM

Best wishes to you for a complete recovery. In regards to MRSA, I was required to put bactroban, (sp) ointment in my nose twice a day for 5 days prior to the surgery in the belief that the MRSA bacteria lives in the nasal pasages and that breathing on an incision could be the way a person gets the infection. The ointment is very expensive, so I had to get the generic and it made my nose a little bloody. I was wondering if anyone else was required to do this.
Unread 07-19-2010, 07:25 AM

I'm sorry you are going through this. I think everyone should opt for disability insurance before they need to have a surgery because you never know what will happen, but I'm a worrier. I'm so glad you have that and hope you don't need it long. I hope you zap the MRSA soon. I hope you greatly benefit from the hyst for the reasons you had it so you at least have one plus from this. I'm sending healing thoughts and hugs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register