Has anyone had their hyst and all looked normal inside??? - Page 2 | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone had their hyst and all looked normal inside??? Has anyone had their hyst and all looked normal inside???

Unread 06-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Has anyone had their hyst and all looked normal inside???

No, I didn't have a second opinion. Maybe I should, but I have been with my doctor for 22 years and trust him immensely. I did call yesterday to find out if he would do a LATVH or just a TVH and was told that he usually does not do the LATVH unless the uterus is enlarged or prolapsed, or if there are adhesions. I have a prolapsed uterus, but not severe and I had to have surgery once before for adhesions. So, I still don't know what he will do until my pre op, which isn't until a week prior to the surgery. My guess is that it will be just a TVH, since my symptoms are not severe. I also found out that he takes out uterus and cervix, not just the uterus.

On a lighter note, I am going on vacation at the end of next week as well and have to deal with that mess while on vacation. I just hate that, because I cramp so bad, especially the first 3 days. I am still looking forward to it, though, since we are going white water rafting. Wohoo!

My period in July is due to start right around the time of my surgery. I could be right in the middle of my period when I have surgery. Isn't that weird? I asked the nurse if I should reschedule, but she said they don't care if I don't. Since that is the best time of the month for me and my work, I'll just stick with that date. I'll have to post and ask if any other ladies had that happen to them, because it will be kind of awkward. The nurse told me to look at the bright side..."It will be your last one" she said.

Here I go rambling...Sorry!

I hope your second opinion appointment goes well, but first. . . . . . . Have FUN on your vacation!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2008, 10:53 AM

I am glad I am not the only one with this question.

I was afraid they would find "nothing wrong" with me. But then it doesn't explain the heavy periods, pain, hormones everywhere, etc... But often docs can't find it or explain it...therefore it isn't there.

Thank you for asking this. I feel better I am not the only one.
Unread 06-03-2008, 12:40 PM

I am glad to see there are others who feel this way. I am so afraid I am going to go into this other dr and she will think I don't need it since my symptoms aren't that severe. I am leaning to wanting her to do it even though I have never met her but this is her specialty and she does surgery 3 days out of the week. Where as my ob does surgery 1 day a week, but he does more ob type surgery. But if she does not want to I will just have my ob do it since I am very prepared and ready to move forward.

I know I am taking the easy way out cause I am sure I could deal with this for longer but I don't feel like I should have to and I think it will help me move to the next chapter of my life.

Heike

Wow, I feel like we have a lot of similar things going on. I too am going to have to deal with this while on vacation and I am not happy since we plan to be doing a lot of swimming since we are going to be staying on the beach. I really have not had too terrible of pain except last month I had to take some meds a day or two, but my cramps used to be debilatating but once I had kids that helped.

But I think as time goes on things will progressively get worse and last longer so why wait until that point, right, lol??? No one seems to understand and they keep asking me if this other dr has other ideas would I try them and I say probably not. I am very happy with my decision and I have done research and will continue to research until my LAVH.

Ok, I am rambling now, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2008, 02:26 PM

Sounds like you feel very comfortable with your decision. I am feeling better about my decision to go forward with the surgery as well.

Where is your vacation taking you? I live close to the beach. Wouldn't it be funny if you were coming to my neck of the woods, lol?
Unread 06-03-2008, 02:28 PM

We are going to the Oregon coast, where are you at?

I hope you continue to feel better about your decision and moving forward. I think everyone I know thinks I am crazy cause I talk so positively about doing this, lol. Maybe I am just missing something????
Unread 06-03-2008, 03:21 PM

Oh, wow! We are at the opposite end near Pensacola Beach, Florida.

Just think...the only thing we'll be missing is our monthly nemesis, lol.
Unread 06-03-2008, 03:29 PM

I know it really sucks. You know I swear my body did this to me on purpose. Since it was so late last month this is what I get in return. Unless my body likes me maybe I won't see it until the very end of vacation but I doubt it. It just sucks making a long drive and having to deal with this, ughhhh...
Unread 06-03-2008, 06:15 PM

It is possible to have a hysterectomy and everything look normal. That is one reason why it is very important to have a second opinion and exhaust all options before having a hysterectomy which is a major, irreversible surgery that is not without risks.

I hope each of you will weigh all of the pros and cons for you before making your final decision. We are all unique individuals so we may not all make the same decisions.

And (((Ladies))), remember the purpose of this forum is to discuss possible options and/or alternatives for a hysterectomy. If you would like to chatter about vacations and family, please feel free to do so privately or in one of the many chatter forums!

S
Unread 06-03-2008, 09:06 PM

Sorry weiser I did not know you can't carry on conversations on a thread you started.

Also just an honest question. Are you saying if someone thinks all will be normal inside they should not have a hyst????
Unread 06-04-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havehope
Sorry weiser I did not know you can't carry on conversations on a thread you started.
Conversation regarding hysterecomies and the original question are completely fine. Chatter about vacations, family, jobs, etc. are better suited for other forums such as Neighborhoods, Parenting, Friends Without Faces, etc. This way women can easily find specific support for hysterectomy related questions when on the support forums yet connect and maintain friendships in the chatter forums. It helps the site run more smoothly as there are over 140,000 members, 300,000 threads, and 2.5 million posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by havehope
Also just an honest question. Are you saying if someone thinks all will be normal inside they should not have a hyst????
If I had not had something abnormal going on inside of me that warranted a hysterectomy, I would not have had a hysterectomy. Period. This is a major surgery that is not reversible and not without risks. I had a necessary hysterectomy after a laparoscopy confirmed there was a major problem going on and I was out of options. I was one of the ones who had complications, starting with internal bleeding. My hospital stay was extended to ten days and I was released only because I was not getting better but also not worse. The doctor hoped my body would do better in my own home environment rather than the chaotic hospital setting with numerous roommated. I was released only under the condition that I would have an adult with me 24/7 until my GYN told me otherwise. I ended with cardiologists and a neurologist. I had doctor's appointments and/or tests every week for three months. I was not allowed to drive during those three months so I had to make arragements to be driven to all of them and my DH missed a lot of work since the appointments were scattered between three different towns and we didn't live in any of those towns. I was not released from my GYN for six months. My overall health has been worse since my hysterectomy thanks to all those complications and their toll on my body. It has affected not only me but my entire household and it has cost us a samll fortune. And I am not cured and have had an additional surgery recently. Did I mention that pain was not an issue prior to my hysterectomy but has been every since my hysterecomy? And no, my doctor was not imcompetent and actually my last surgery affirmed how skilled he was.

I would not have put myself in this position if I had not felt I was out of options for my specific circumstances and a hysterectomy was the only choice open to me, aside from living with my situation which I could have though the situation would have continued to get worse and eventually I would have had to have had surgery anyway and it could have been worse later. I put off my recent surgery for years until the pros again outweighed the cons based on my past experience and again knowing that there are many risks involved with any surgery.

Have you been diagnosed with a condition that warrants a hysterectomy as the only option? Have you made a list of the pros and cons? If you do end up with any complications will it be worth it? We have many forums dedicated to women who are dealing with the long term risks of a hysterectomy and you might want to read through them: The Road Less Traveled, Sexual Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy (there can be problems with and without the ovaries), Pelvic Floor and Bladder Matters, and more.

If a hysterectomy was simple, risk free, and a cure all for any and all GYN issues no matter how big or small, then I might have a different opinion. But a hysterectomy is none of those things. Just reading through the possible complication list on the consent forum for surgery was scary (paralysis, puncture of organs, and death being among the worst possible outcomes). Had I not been 100% sure I was making the best and necessary decision for me, I would not have consented to having surgery and putting myself at such a risk.

I don't know if a hysterectomy is right for you or not. I don't even know why you are considering surgery as you have not mentioned a diagnoses here on this thread. You have made several comments that leave me wondering if there are some simplier and safer alternatives for you. But only you can make this decision for you.

I wish you all the best for your upcoming vacation and appointment for a second opinion. In the end, you have to do what you feel is best for you.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register