starting out new ... and scared !!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

starting out new ... and scared !!! starting out new ... and scared !!!

Unread 11-27-2006, 05:09 PM
starting out new ... and scared !!!

I am recovering from a TAH, and am 5 weeks post op. My Dr. never set a follow-up appt. He checked my incision at 3 1/2 weeks, and let me go back to work light duty at 4 1/2 weeks. But about the sex ... I do not have not follow-up appt. and am in a new relationship and have yet to have sexual activity with my new significant other. I am scarred to death !! What will it be like ? I have nothing to compare to in one way, so in that way it is a good thing, but how will I know if anything is the "same" or different in a bad way ?? Will it feel different, okay or painful ? This is one reason why I am scarred to death !! And I am reading that 6 weeks is a "safe" time but many writers on this site are saying that they need more like 8 weeks !!! I am guessing I should at least call my Dr. but if I can not get an appt. soon ... what to do ? I am sure better be safe than sorry ... and when can I take a bath ? Or douche ? Does anyone have the answers ??? All advise welcome! Thanx for reading ... I don't even know if this makes sense and I am sooooo scared !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2006, 05:39 PM

I find it odd that your Dr doesn't want to do an internal vaginal exam to make sure things are healed up. I'd call & ask those questions. Remember no question is small or "stupid". Each surgery is unique to each woman & you deserve answers to those. I was released to take a bath upon leaving the hospital, but others have had to wait 6 weeks. I can't wait til I get the OK for more intimate relations, but I did get clearance for clitoral "O's" & um yeah, they are good! But the key is everyone heals differently. Call the office & ask honey, you'll be so glad you did!
Unread 11-27-2006, 05:47 PM

Thank you for you speedy reply ! I guess I will call the office tomorrow ... I am kinda nervous ... I guess I am being silly but it is better to be safe than sorry, that much I know !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2006, 06:06 PM

I have to admit, my 6-week exam was rather anti-climactic. I was expecting something pretty extensive, but to be honest, the exam took just a few seconds. I hadn't had any discharge, though -- maybe that's why there wasn't much of anything to look at.

For sure you shouldn't put any object into your vagina or douche until you get the all-clear from the doctor. As for baths, many (((sisters))) are able to take them sooner than being cleared for sex, so that might be worth a call, too.

It's much better to check it out than to go ahead based on what one of us would say (since we don't know your situation). I wish you all the best!

Unread 11-27-2006, 06:22 PM

I am nearly 3 weeks post op and had my appointment with the Dr yesterday... it took all of 5 minutes where she checked my incision, removed the end of the stitch, said I looked great, could start driving, hanging washing out, rest when I'm tired and can have sex at 6 weeks or before if I feel up to it!! I don't have a partner so no probs there but I'm sure when I do I will freak out too!! No one ever knows what to expect with a new partner but just ask him to be patient and GO SLOW!!! I didn't ask about the bath but wish I had as I want to go swimming... it's a hot Sydney summer approaching. Good luck with it all!
Unread 11-28-2006, 10:54 AM

I had my internal check up 4 1/2 weeks. Was no big deal. I did cramp that afternoon though. I was instructed to still wait 6 weeks for sex. No work yet though. IMHO I would wait 6 or so weeks at least. I took a bath already. Oh and have had the clitoris big O as well. Just listen to your body and use common sense.
Good Luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register