Overweight and Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Overweight and Hysterectomy Overweight and Hysterectomy

Unread 05-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Overweight and Hysterectomy

Hi, I had a hysterectomy for cancer. It has been 2 1/2 weeks. All is well with the cancer, it did not go into the lymph nodes and was caught early enough. I am 53 and overweight. My question is that I have been doing pretty good, maybe doing too much. I now have burning pains next to the stiches, my staples are out and have only steri strips. It feels like my skin is tearing, there is no bruising or anything that looks wrong to my skin. Could I have pulled a muscle or because of my belly hanging down because of my weight could it be that. Also with the steri strips, do they come off on their own or do you remove them after a while. My Dr. never did tell me. Is it normal to still get tired after 2 1/2 weeks of surgery? I am new to the boards so I haven't learned all the abbreviations yet. Good luck to all.
Clare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2006, 03:54 PM

Hey Clare,

Don't worry, I'm 54, overweight (only by about 20lbs) and 7 weeks post op from uteran cancer with all gone except my nodes and still tire a lot. I was in bed most of the day except for going for walks at the 2 1/2 week period. And pain is to be expected - you just had major surgery. My intense pain really didn't go away until 4 weeks po. I still have the odd pangs of pain especially going up stairs and feel like I'm carrying sextuplets in my belly.
Hope this helps. All the best.
Unread 05-07-2006, 04:08 PM

I am sorry you are hurting and tired. If you have new or unexplained pain, you may wish to call your dr to verify you have not pulled anything. And you can be for many more weeks to come. A hyst is a major surgery and can be very draining.

Different drs have different instructions about the steri strips, some say leave them on until they fall off, some give a set amout of time such as 1-2 weeks. Call your dr's office and ask what is right for you. While you are recoverying, it is not uncommon to need to call the dr on occassion as new issues and questions arise. And it is always better to error on the side of caution. I called and saw my dr numerous times as I recovered.

Here is a list of abbreviations that you may find helpful: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/vie...=abbreviations.

Best wishes to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Overweight Hysterectomy

Hi Clare,

I am about 8 wks post op now just wanted to let u know I had same burning sensation as you, But it did eventually subside but i was nervous also don't worry but to be on the safe side u can also call your gyno!!!

I also am little overweight and i think having a bit more of a tummy makes things feel worse that is my experience so far.
Still am swollen and feel like I have sextuplets myself. DR. said it takes awhile for everything to calm down hope this helps some

Christine
Unread 05-07-2006, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the responses to my post. It makes me feel better that someone else has experienced what I have and that it is normal. I feel like I shouldn't call the Dr's office, but you guys are right that there can be alot of things to call about. I guess I am being impatient in my recovery and expecting to be back to normal by now. As women we want to get back to taking care of others.
Thanks for the support.
Clare

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register