Vaginal burning...during & after sex | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal burning...during & after sex Vaginal burning...during & after sex

Unread 08-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Vaginal burning...during & after sex

I had LAVH/BSO (ovarian cyst and prophylactic) on 5/10/05. I was given go ahead on sexual intercourse after 4 wks. Sex using lubrication has been painful both during and after with burning in vagina up to an hour or so afterwards. With a history of breast cancer, not only am I deprived of the estrogen from lack of ovaries, but I am also on the estrogen inhibitor Femara to deprive my body of the estrogen produced by the adrenal glands (BC was ER+/PR+). Has anyone experienced similar burning sensations or extreme discomfort during intercourse or on an aromatase inhibitor with this side effect? We have had sex several times but I find myself wanting to avoid it with this type of pain, which is a totally different experience for me after 28 yrs. of satisfying sexual pleasure. Thanks for any insights or suggestions. I'm feeling desperate here!!! It's almost enough to make me regret having had this procedure .
Katrin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2005, 10:36 PM

Please check with your doctor.

Though it could be caused by estrogen deficiency in the vaginal tissues, it could also indicate an infection.

Shortly after I was given the go ahead I experienced this as well, I went to the doctor and she said I had both bacterial vaginosis AND a yeast infection - common after surgery when they give you antibiotics. She treated me with oral diflucan and metrogel.

Also, talk to your doctor about whether or not vaginal estrogen is permitted. As I understand, the estrogen is absorbed only in the vaginal tissues and is not systemic - but please talk to your doctor about it.

Take care.
Unread 08-07-2005, 10:55 PM

Juniper, thanks for your reply. I have considered both of the possibilities you mentioned, but was sort of ruling out the yeast infection due to lack of any discharge. I know I need to call the doctor, but was thinking maybe it had to do with the lubricants we were using. I have tried KY gel, KY silk-E moisturizer (use daily), and Astroglide. I have purchased Replens and was going to try using it next. I feel like a real novice using them since we have never had to use them before--even through chemo-induced menopause! But this has really gotten old and I need to take the plunge and call the nurse practitioner. Thanks for your input and listening to me whine!
Katrin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2005, 12:16 AM

Katrin, I was really suprised when I was diagnosed with both infections - I'd only had a yeast infection twice in my life before that (both from antibiotics) and I didn't have any sort of odd discharge at all with this. Just the burning after intercourse. No odor, no discharge.

Again, it could be anything, including an allergy to the lubricants you've tried. It's time to call in the professionals (I know, I waited a couple of weeks when I had mine and then felt really stupid for waiting so long).

I've been using astroglide, it seems to work pretty well. Only a few drops and a lot less messy than KY. I've also been a little embarrassed about this issue, as my husband gets the impression that I don't find him desireable or something - which is definitely not the case. Of course I've explained it to him, but you know how partners can understand something intellectually but not emotionally. It's taken a little while but we've worked the use of the lubricants into our lovemaking just as we figured out how to enjoy using condoms when we needed birth control.

Take care.
Unread 08-08-2005, 07:06 AM

Juniper,
I was diagnosed with the same thing, and I also waited too long. There is simply NO reason to be that uncomfortable! I have learned to stop trying to diagnose myself, to stop feeling embarrassed about calling/visiting my nurses and doctors, and to stop thinking the worst with each new symptom.
Katrin, take care of yourself. Call the doctor...she or he can get you on the right track.
Unread 08-08-2005, 07:36 AM

I also was experiencing this burning, especially after intercourse but off and on throughout the month too! I didn't think it was yeast because I just had an occasional discharge (yellowish) and had always heard yeast was white, clumpy, and smelly. Well, finally my husband complained of burning and itching after intercourse and when we started talking about it realized he had been experiencing some of the same symptoms I was having ever since we'd been "okayed" for intercourse ! I had just thought my symtoms were part of the recovery. When I described everything to my GYN he said it was classic for yeast. So I guess it doesn't always have to have the horrible discharge. The hard part now is I've had it for a long time and husband and I had been passing it back and forth. He had to be treated and we had to stop intercourse. Now he has got rid of it, but I've still had some problems, including oral thrush and can't seem to totally kick this. I'm the same way you are, don't like to bug the doctor if I don't have to, but I think this sounds like a good reason to call.

Take care, jmw
Unread 08-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Burning issue update

Juniper, Bobbi, and jmw,
I appreciate you all sharing your experiences. You encouraged me to go ahead and call my doctor's office. They are calling in a prescription for metrogel thinking maybe it is a bacterial infection. I will use it for 5 days and then get to do another test run to see if it worked! If not, they will see me. Thanks again for your support. You have been my s with this extremely sensitive issue!
Katrin

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register