Painful intercourse | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Painful intercourse Painful intercourse

Unread 06-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Painful intercourse

I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago, and I am still experiencing extreme pain during intercourse...I feel like I am being cut up there and it burns. Also, occasionally there is bleeding. Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2009, 12:39 AM
Re: Painful intercourse

I would call your doctor. I've had painful intercourse and thought it was normal until my doctor told me after my hysterectomy that something down there was causing painful intercourse. Extreme pain is not normal. Sometimes us ladies think pain is apart of life and it shouldn't be.
Unread 06-24-2009, 03:12 AM

I also had very painful intercourse after my hysterectomy. I am going to physical therapy, and it has helped so much. I have been going for 6 weeks, and it is about a million times better!!!! Call your dr and have a check up, and ask about physical therapy. It really helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2009, 08:35 AM

Hi from what I've read in the past few months pain during intercourse can be from vaginal dryness. Maybe more lubrication needed or hormone adjustment. Vaginal wall atrophy from decreased estrogen - treated with suppositories. Also as mentioned above pain can be from possible granulation or scar tissue in the vaginal vault. Musculoskeletal origin can be helped with pelvic floor physical therapy. When was the last time you visited your gyn and had an exam? Give them a call and see what they say. If your embarrassed us medical terms when calling.
Unread 06-24-2009, 10:16 AM

sillychic01

I'm so sorry you're having problems that bring you here.

When you have a moment, it will help us greatly (when replying to any concerns) if you could complete your Member Survey since this includes information such as what type/which hysterectomy procedure you had, whether or not you kept your ovaries, and HRT information if applicable, etc. You can do that by clicking HERE.

Amongst other things, hormonal issues (lack of) can cause this, as can problems with the vaginal cuff, if you have one. Perhaps you could reply again with a little more information so we can help you further?

Also, as the ((ladies)) have already suggested, please don't hesitate to contact your doctor.

Sending all good wishes!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register