Home to soon from hospital??? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home to soon from hospital??? Home to soon from hospital???

Unread 08-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Home to soon from hospital???

I had a TVH on Aug 17th. Came home from hospital 30 hrs later. I'm wondering if it was too soon. I'm not having much pain, and getting around fairly good. I just can't eat. I don't have any nausea, but I have no interest in food at all. I haven't ate anything since monday evening. I am having a little discomfort in my back where the epidural was, and pain in my hips, but that's all. And no vaginal bleeding. Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Re: Home to soon from hospital???

I was out less than 18 hours after surgery. That's typicall for the less invasive surgeries. A lot of people have had nausea and not wanted any food. I wasn't lucky enough to get that problem. : ) I wanted peanut butter fudge sundaes from SONIC. (yet still managed to lose 6 lbs go figure.) Anyway, hope your recovery goes well!
Unread 08-19-2010, 01:15 PM

I react horribly to anesthesia, I find that even if I am not nauseated, I will still experience discomfort after eating for around a week or so. Nothing to do with constipation, it's just like my intestines don't want to be touched, no food.

I would say your diminished appetite, with or without nausea, etc., is probably normal for you, as long as you are not feverish, bleeding, etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2010, 01:31 PM

Just try to eat a little something even if it is bread to keep something in your tummy. Your appetite will return. Take it easy.
Unread 08-19-2010, 02:43 PM

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy and the dr sent me home THE NEXT DAY! I couldn't believe it! I was told it would be 3 days. Way to quick I think!
Unread 08-19-2010, 05:00 PM

I had my surgery on a Monday. So couldn't eat past late afternoon on Sunday. Day after surgery ate a small bowl of soup and a little fruit. Only yogurt & toast on Wednesday. Then left the castle.
I had no appetite for almost 3 months after the surgery. Did manage to eat some semblance of meals, but not nearly as much as usual.

Even now I have days when food is not interesting ( great for weight control!). Guess now it's the hormones instead of the anesthesia.
Unread 08-19-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful_me View Post
I had a TVH on Aug 17th. Came home from hospital 30 hrs later. I'm wondering if it was too soon. I'm not having much pain, and getting around fairly good. I just can't eat. I don't have any nausea, but I have no interest in food at all. I haven't ate anything since monday evening. I am having a little discomfort in my back where the epidural was, and pain in my hips, but that's all. And no vaginal bleeding. Help?
What I would be concerned with is the pain in the hips. Have you called your Doc.

now for going home to soon, I wish I had 30hrs, I was only in my room 20 hrs. I did fine, like someone else said with TVH they don't keep us, we have very little pain, next to know bleeding. Just make sure to rest and don't sit on your bottom, recline in a easy chair, it will help with the pain in your back.

Food, you need to eat so you can take your meds. try crackers w/ peanutbutter and glass of milk. I didn't want much either. It can be the gas they used that is making you feel like this, again call your doc, thats what they are there for. better to call and feel dumb, than to not ask and be in trouble.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register