Shortness of breath- almost went to ER | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Shortness of breath- almost went to ER Shortness of breath- almost went to ER

Unread 08-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Shortness of breath- almost went to ER

This happened to me 5 days ago, and I've been watching/waiting to see if it happened again, which is why I didn't post about this sooner.

Last Saturday night I went to bed at 8:30. At about 9 I started having heart pounding and shortness of breath. My heart was not racing (pulse about 65), and I was not breathing rapidly. This went on for awhile. I had to sit up, because laying down seemed to make it worse. I was not in any distress, other than feeling like I couldn't fill my lungs.

Then my thumbs and hands started tingling, then my feet. That made me get scared and I started sweating. At that time I thought I might be having a heart attack.

We finally called the doctor at 11:30pm. She said it didn't sound like anything, in the absence of chest pain or cough. But I should go to the ER, so they could do an EKG, chest x-ray and maybe a CT scan.

I suffered with this for another 2.5 hrs, because I believed the doctor, that it wasn't anything emergent. Just about 2am I got up and walked around a bit, went pee, and my heart stopped pounding. The breathing came under control soon after.

The next few days after my diaphragm hurt, most likely from all the deep breathing I was trying to do.

I have not had another episode like this. But if I do, I will go to the ER, or urgent care and get it checked out.

Just wondering if anybody has any insight as to what may have been happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Re: Shortness of breath- almost went to ER

sounds like you had an anxiety attack!
Unread 08-19-2010, 06:11 PM

I agree, it does sound like an anxiety attack. I had one in the hospital, and since I was being treated for DVTs and a pulmonary embolism, they did the chest xrays and cardiac monitoring. All came back normal, and my PE was stable. My doc said that my body was under a lot of stress from the surgery, the complications I had, and the sudden menopause, and it was understandable and expected.

I do recall that I could not seem to catch my breath, and I had a pressure, but not pain, in my chest. It woke me out of a sound sleep. I still get them from time to time, but not as severely. I'm not on HRTs.

If you keep getting them, you might want to consider asking your doc to prescribe a mild anti-anxiety med.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2010, 06:23 PM

Wow, I really appreciate your replies. I never would have thought anxiety attack, but that makes sense. The sweating was definitely a reaction from being scared, and I think the tingling was from hyperventilating from deep, deep breaths.
Unread 08-19-2010, 06:56 PM

Anesthesia always gives me shortness of breath and can be a bit scary. It could easily lead to an anxiety attack if you're not feeling well to begin with. Hyperventilating can bring on an anxiety attack, as the other posters mentioned. I would let your doctor know so he/she can help you prevent another episode.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register