TVH My dr office is frustrating | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My dr office is frustrating My dr office is frustrating

Unread 09-28-2011, 02:18 PM
My dr office is frustrating

My dr. cut me lose at 3wks--so I am on my own. The office ladies are short, curt, and to the point. As a teacher I am scared to death to start work at 6wks because my days WILL be 11 hrs long. I am simply dreading it. I called the dr office and asked about a return to work and she said I get 6 wks. off. I asked if I could return on the Thursday of the 6th wk so I could transition into my long work days and there was this big looonng pause. She said that is up to "your employer, you are only entitled to six weeks." I asked "Well, who makes the decision, the dr or my employer?" Big Pause..."Well, ultimately the dr. Let us know what the employer wants and we can fax them paperwork." I emailed work and said I'd like to return on the Thursday and to let me know if they need verification.

Grrrrr....So here I am 4 wks post-op--I can't do diddly because the inside surgical area still hurts. I have never had medical issues and am fit and healthy. I have jogged 4 miles a day for 20 years. If I even try to go a walk a mile everything hurts. Yesterday I did some yard/house tasks for a hour or so and was in misery all afternoon and had to get out the norco. I just hope the stabbing pelvic pains go away in the next two weeks or I am going to be the picture of misery. Honestly, I wonder about the ethics of dr office ladies releasing me for work when I don't even talk to the dr. How can he know what is going on if they have not done an exam since 1 week post-op? Am I expecting too much, here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Re: My dr office is frustrating

No, you are not expecting too much. That is for sure. You shouldn't be released to return to work without another post-op exam. I'm not sure what kind of hysterectomy you had, but most of them involve more than one exam. I had one every two weeks for 10 weeks.

I don't know what to say, other than maybe find another doctor to check you out to make sure are healthy and healed enough to return to work with such long days.

I don't think anyone is "entitled" to a certain amount of time off. Everyone heals at a different pace, so someone could feel better and be able to return after 4 weeks, and some (like me) might take 10. You don't know until someone LOOKS at you to see how things are healing.

I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted on what you find out.
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:40 PM

Call your doctor's office and make an appointment. Tell them you are still in pain and that you can't get an appointment with your doctor. I hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2011, 03:04 PM

I'm 9 wks this week from my hysterectomy and saw my OB/GYN at 1 wk, 2 wks, and on my 8 wk ck up she scheduled me for another surgery for a couple of days later. I found out at that 8 wk ck up that my vaginal cuff had not healed completely and had also formed alot of scar tissue that had to be cauterized. I wouldn't have known this if she had not done an exam. I went back to work just under 2 weeks of my hysto which IMHO was way too early. Today I am 1 wk past my 2nd surgery and see my OB/GYN again tomorrow. I agree that you need to see your doctor before you go back because you just don't know what's going on inside there unless you are checked. I also think going back full-time at the beginning is going to be very difficult to do. Even though I worked alot of hours when I went back I was only in the office for 1/2 day and did the rest from home. I was exhausted, in pain, and swollen by late afternoon and ran home to my heating pad. I would suggest seeing if you could go back for 1/2 days for at least that first week. Good Luck!
Unread 09-28-2011, 03:27 PM

I too am a teacher with very long days. I went back to work at 4 weeks and it was a bad decision. I worked half days Monday thru Wednesday, a full day on Thursday and took Friday off. This week I have worked full days but I am tired and sore at the end if the days. My doctor checked me at 3 weeks and okay'd my return at 4 weeks but said I could ask him to extend it if I didn't think I was ready. I now wish I had taken the 2 extra weeks.
Unread 09-28-2011, 03:40 PM

Noticed we had surgery on the same day. I'm the same. If I do something for an hour, I'm feeling sore and want my bed. I'm taking it very easy. I really want to be healed when I go in for my 6 weeks check up.
Unread 09-28-2011, 04:57 PM

I'm 7 weeks tomorrow and things are getting better. I actually feel human now!
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:08 PM

First of all the LAW states that you have 12 weeks of job protected unpaid medical leave, yes that is up to your job, however it is for events medically attained (surgeries, deliveries, etc)...at this point I would just talk to my employer, I'm sure they would be easier to deal with than the doctor's ofc....wow!
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:21 PM

10 weeks post op today and I'm having lots of troubles managing being back at work, and I'm only working 6 hour days + 2 hour commute. It's absolutely brutal. So we all heal at very different rates. I think the doctor office is being irresponsible cutting you loose at 3 weeks. You should have a 6 (or in my case) 8 week check up to clear you for regular activities including sex.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register