Treats for medical staff | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Treats for medical staff Treats for medical staff

Unread 05-05-2002, 06:47 AM
Treats for medical staff

I've been thinking of "treats" for the staff while I'm in the hospital and got some ideas from the pull down menus, but my question is do you leave them out and tell them to help themselves or do you hand them out as the staff comes in?

Last time I was in the hospital, we took in cookies about a week after I had gone home and they were sooo appreciative.

I was thinking about bringing a basket and fill it up w/goodies and just setting it on the night stand.

I've posted a couple of times and have gotten some wonderful advice and replies, so want to take this time to thank you all and say that I really enjoy this site. I visit it at least 2-3 times a day and have gotten some great advice!

My TAH is May 16 and I'm going between scared and glad to be finally getting it taken care of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2002, 07:11 AM
Treats for medical staff

I took individually wrapped life saver candies and left them in a dish with a note next to it that said 'Staff: Help Yourself'. The note was for when I was out of it cause the drugs. At times when I was awake, I would make sure to personally tell whoever came into my room to take a piece or two of candy. Even the housekeeping staff appreciated it.

Being nervous is fine. Wanting to call it off is a normal feeling. Getting scared: we have all been there. This is major surgery. I will say prayers for you to have an uneventful surgery and smooth recovery. Best wishes.

God Bless †
Unread 05-05-2002, 10:40 AM
HI

I took in Tootsie Pops and had them in a container(that was already in my room). The staff could easily grab one and put it in their pocket to eat whenever they felt like it. Helpful for those that made rounds at odd hours. Otherwise, cookies are wonderful but they kind of need to be eaten right then.
I can tell you I am at 10 weeks now and I feel fantastic.
Wish I would have had this done along time ago.
You're going to do just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2002, 10:45 AM
Treats for medical staff

What a sweet idea! (no pun intended) Wish I'd thought of that. I suppose I could still take something to the hospital staff. I love this site!
Unread 05-05-2002, 11:34 AM
Treats for medical staff

Since I know that one of the nurses on the floor will be celebrating a birthday the day after my surgery (she works nights and will be there the night of my surgery), I will have a cake from a specialty bakery sent to the hosptial the afternoon of my surgery so that she can celebrate her birthday with her co-workers. I will send along with it a thank you card to everyone for helping me through my surgery.

Caren
Unread 05-05-2002, 12:43 PM
Treats for medical staff

I brought homemade chocolate chip cookie bars for the staff and left them in my room with a sign saying, "Help yourself." But no one did!! Maybe one or two people took them. Several of the nurses didn't eat cookies -- I guess Seattle is a pretty health-conscious area.

When I checked out, I brought the rest of them to the nursing station and was assured, with much appreciation, that they'd be gone in no time flat.

I think when treats are in your room, not many people actually see them or know about them. I'm not sure how I would handle it next time. I do know each nurse or other staff I offered them to was very pleased and grateful, even if they declined. So I earned points anyway.

Melissa
Unread 05-05-2002, 01:48 PM
treats for the staff!

I think a good idea would be for your husband or SO to bring a basket filled with goodies the day you are discharged and leave it at the nurse's station. Most nurses, especially on the night shift, eat while writing notes and working at the desk, and also a treat placed there can be accessed by other people who might have been involved in your care (lab, housekeeping, etc.)

When I was working, (I am a 'retired' RN) we always loved getting treats. Usually people brought candy, chocolates, etc. But, a really nice change from that is a fruit basket or a combo of fruit, cheese, crackers, salami, etc. Another thing to consider is delivering a basket for each shift of workers, so that all the stuff doesn't get eaten up by the day shift (they are notorious for that!)

I think that most hospital staff would shy away from treats offered by patients at the bedside. Bedsides and patient's room areas are probably not the most appetizing places to place food, if you think about it, unless it's individually wrapped candy or something like that, in a jar with a lid.

Here is another idea that is not too costly and just requires you to be vigilant and write names down. One time when I was still working, I was called to another unit in the hospital to start a difficult IV. The lady was quite large and unable to move much, and having post op complications. She was very nice and talkative, and I had a nice visit with her while I started her IV. Apparently a few nurses had treated her badly because of her size, and she was writing down names of every nurse that come in the room! I thought that was the reason, anyhow. It turned out that she was keeping a list of all the people who treated her nicely! I got a lovely note about a week after she went home, addressed to "Laura, the RN who worked in ICU who started my IV one night" thanking me for my care. That note did more for my morale and general mood that month than any number of boxes of chocolates could ever do! What this woman did was write down what she could remember about each nurse; first name, unit where she worked, what ever, and then wrote up her thank you notes at home. She brought them in later and gave them to the Director of Volunteers who distributed them to the units and got to each nurses' individual mail box that way.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register