Emergency hysterectomy 5 days post op | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Emergency hysterectomy 5 days post op Emergency hysterectomy 5 days post op

Unread 08-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Emergency hysterectomy 5 days post op

Hi everyone. I'm new to this board. I am five days post op after an emergency hysterectomy. I had a csection with my first child eight weeks ago. During the csection an artery got cut and had to be sewn back together. Fast forward almost six weeks later to me waking up to blood pouring out of me. I sat on the toilet and it was as if I was peeing, but it was blood. I passed out and landed face first on the bathroom floor. I was rushed to the ER with a bp of 60/40. I was given two units of blood in the hospital. An u/s and vag exam were done and they found nothing. We mentioned the torn artery and were brushed off. I stayed overnight in the hospital for observation and the bleeding didn't occur again. They chalked it up to a brutal first post partum period and sent me on my way. I saw my own doctor the next day and he ultimately agreed. Fast forward ten days later to last Wednesday night. I start gushing blood again. A seizure or two is thrown into the mix this time. Rushed to ER again. Stabilized and moved to a room where the bleeding occurs again and I have a room full of freaked out docs and nurses. Moved to SICU where they start pumping me with blood. A decision is made to do a d&c. It's realized that procedure didn't help after I started bleeding yet again in the icu. So an emergency hysterectomy was decided to be the best decision because the blood was coming from my uterus. Once they cut me open, they found that the original artery that had been cut during my csection was infected and causing the bleeding. So here I am with no uterus and cervix, but I still have my ovaries. And one perfect little baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2013, 08:03 AM
Re: Emergency hysterectomy 5 days post op

Yow! That's quite the story! How are you feeling now?
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:12 AM

That is terrifying! I am so glad you pulled through, oh my goodness! Bless your heart! Why didn't they bother to look at your chart and see an artery had been cut in your c section!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2013, 08:17 AM

I don't feel too bad. Def worse pain than csection, but not terrible. Not being able to lift and care for the baby is the worst part. They didn't believe there could be a problem with that original damaged artery so far after the csection (6 wks).
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:37 AM

oh my goodness what a story indeed! Wow girl! I am so sorry this all happened to you. While I am glad you are feeling ok I hope you have the support you need in the coming weeks and months to deal with all of this both physically and emotionally. Keep us updated as to how you are progressing!
Welcome!
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:13 AM

Meant to say congrats on the beautiful healthy baby too!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register