Can't sleep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-19-2005, 11:25 PM
Can't sleep

I am one week post op. I feel pretty good except for the fact that I can't seem to get to sleep. I stayed up all day and night the day of the surgery, came home and have had only one night sleep since. Nothing seems to help. The pain meds, the nausea meds, OTC sleeping meds, nothing. Is there anyone else out there that had the same problem? I feel :eyes: I had a TVH with a bladder neck suspension. Sure am glad it is over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2005, 11:47 PM
Can't sleep

I think a lot of us have sleeping problems, either we sleep all the time or we cant sleep at all. I think its pretty normal from all ive read here and my own experience. The only thing you can do is just rest when you can and find things to do when you cant, like read or nit or get on here... I play cards, lol ive become a regular poker card shark lol
I go from one side to the other, im so tired sometimes I sleep 12 hours, then I have days i cant sleep at all, just take it one day at a time...
Good luck!!
Unread 07-20-2005, 06:35 AM
Can't sleep

I was having trouble sleeping around 1 week post op and my doc prescribed me some sleeping pills. Worked great!!! It's so important to get plenty of rest. I didn't and I was so tired/exhausted that my doc had to put me on Zoloft to straighten me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Can't sleep

Hi DeeandSmitty,

I know it must be very frustrating not to sleep. You aren't alone, insomnia happens to many of us following this surgery. During my first month post-op I went through periods when I slept alot and also periods when I couldn't sleep well for days.

Let your doctor know that you are not sleeping. It could be caused by whacky hormones, pain, medications, or the trauma of the surgery. Your doctor should be able to help you figure out what you need to sleep. Maybe a sleeping pill will help you get back on a sleep routine. Maybe changing your pain meds might help.

Be sure to use plenty of pillows to get comfy when you go to bed....the pillows helped me stay comfy long enough to at least nap off and on at night.

Keeping my drapes open during the day and sitting outside for a few minutes seemed to help me. Be careful with time in front of a TV or computer screen...the light from the screens can stimulate you too much.

I'm wishing you sweet dreams!
Unread 07-20-2005, 08:58 AM
Me too!

I haven't slept well since surgery either. I had LSH on July 12th and, with the exception of my first day home, I haven't napped during the day or been able to sleep at night. Really wierd, vivid dreams when I do sleep. I'm not taking any prescription pain meds...
Probably should discuss this in another thread but I also have no appetite. I'm making sure I eat and eat healthy but everything seems to leave me feeling ick! I know I'm probably suffering the after effects of surgery but it's just another thing to wear you out!
Mary
Unread 07-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Can't sleep

I find reading a really soothing book helps me to sleep when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. I can also recommend Sage tea (but only use it 2-3 times a week). A good hot cup about an hour before bedtime makes me really drowsy.
Unread 07-20-2005, 08:49 PM
Can't sleep

Disruption of sleep habits is very common after a hyster. I got lots of rest, but not lots of *sleep* my first few weeks. It got better with time. I didn't bother with the sleep aids since I already had a mild presc. for Xanax. It did help to relax me a bit so that I could go to sleep after some restless nights. If it becomes a problem and you are not resting, speak with your dr. I am sure they can come up with something to help you rest. Once I returned to work, that issue seemed to resolve itself! Now, I have no problems going to sleep!

Best wishes to you in your recovery.
Unread 07-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Can't sleep

Prior to surgery I never had any problems sleeping, however Insomnia was the one of the worst problems for me post-op!! (Headaches were bad too!) It didn't help to stay up all day either, I tried that and ended up being awake for 72 hrs (until I finally took Tylenol PM) I did not sleep a full night through for 6 weeks post-op. (Ooo, I'm envious of the Xanax - I've used that in the past & it does help you relax)

I've been back to work for 3 days now and have slept like a rock at night!!

Might try valerian root, melatonin, calcium + magnesium... or ask you dr for a prescription sleepaid!

Sweet dreams!
Unread 07-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Can't sleep

I found that my sleep habits were chaotic after surgery. Sometimes I slept a lot, other days I didn't sleep at all. One thing I do know is that pain medication can have the opposite effect for some people. Instead of putting you to sleep, it can actually keep you awake. Your sleep will eventually return to normal. If it becomes too much of a problem, talk to your doctor.
Unread 07-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Can't sleep

I, too, am having horrendous trouble sleeping. I've begun to notice a pattern... especially since I was released from the hospital. I'm wide awake until about 5:00 a.m., then I seem to get somewhat sleep. I'll lie down, fall asleep, and then come wide awake. I'll be thinking it's gotta be 10:00 or later at least. But when I look at the clock, it's only like 6:30 or something. I cannot go back to sleep no matter what I do. I sit up for hours and hours and hours, then get sleepy and will have to take a short nap. It seems that this pattern is worsening as the weeks go. I hope that it smooths out soon, because I surely cannot go back to work all zombiefied and stuff.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register