Bowel Issues after procedure - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel Issues after procedure Bowel Issues after procedure

Unread 07-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Bowel Issues after procedure

I had TAH/RSO on July 11. For several days it hurt when i had to "go". Doc said that pain medications keep the bowel sleepy , so I tapered off as much as I could. Now I have very little pain when its time to go. Also started making sure I was getting plenty of fiber and drinking a lot of water. At first it felt like a knife was coming thru "down there", but my bladder is calming down too...It'll all get worked out soon....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2005, 03:41 PM

I think that probably the #1 post-op complaint (other than general pain) is probably some sort of gastrointestinal problem.... gas, lack of appetite, nausea, and the ones you are describing -- namely constipation and diarrhea.

Here's my experience (for what it's worth): Each time I've had anesthesia over the years, I have had varying problems with my GI tract "waking up" after surgery. Most of them have resolved fairly quickly. After my last two operations, however, it seemed to take several weeks to get everything, ahem, back to normal as they say.

Here's what helped me with constipation: 1) I made sure I was getting enough water and fiber, and avoiding the foods which tend to make my GI tract rebel. Everyone has those foods. For me, I had to avoid hard cheeses and highly spiced foods. 2) I made sure I walked around. Gravity and body movement can help things move along. 3) I stopped spending so much time in the bathroom. When I was constipated, I would sit down and if nothing happened in a couple of minutes, I would give up and try later. Straining only makes things worse. 4) I made sure I took a stool softener whenever I was taking narcotic meds.

As for diarrhea, the following helped: 1) Drink at least 8 oz. of water every hour. Diarrhea is very dehydrating. 2) Again, I make sure I'm getting enough fiber in my diet, and bulk -- eating plenty of veggies and fruits.

Now, if either of these conditions persist more than a couple of days, or if they are accompanied by severe pain, fever, nausea, or any other such symptoms, you absolutely should be seen by a doctor for testing! It's one thing to have a bout of "traveler's flu" when you're on vacation -- but trying to deal with such serious problems while you're already hurting and exhausted is quite another matter. Especially in the case of diarrhea, there are several bacterial problems which can be easily treated but which can become very serious (as others on the thread have posted) if you do nothing. No need to suffer!

I hope everyone feels better real soon.
Unread 07-26-2005, 03:56 PM

I am just reaching week 5 and I sure do understand. I was up half the night last night with pain, gas, cramping, and vomiting just to have a bowel movement. I am soooooo tired of having to struggle or the opposite. It does not matter what I eat or not eat I feel yucky when it comes to going, I dread it. If I am constipated the only thing that does not cause severe cramps is apricots and they are keeping me pretty regular. I really understand and my heart goes out to you. I have heard that this too shall pass (no pun intended) And I hope so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2005, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the info ladies - I have the going too much problem - and I also have a low grade which I had figured was to do with my incision - that is healing up REALLY nicely I am told with no sign of infection at all... maybe only 2-3 more home visits and I will be done I am told! YEAH!!

I hadn't thought about the bowels having a problem... guess I should give the doc a call... I have a yeast infection so I am REALLY trying to avoid going on anymore anti-b's...

Shauna
Unread 07-27-2005, 04:05 PM
bowels not getting better

I feel really sick; I have gone diarrhea 4 times in the last hr, and cramping to the point of tears, and feeling like vomiting. Why is this happening, I don't want to have to go to the doc to have a stool test, that's so humiliating...just to find out there is nothing wrong?? I think I may have to do that. I took my last pain med yesterday afternoon before taking the kids to the skating rink. I don't thing the pain med is doing this, I hardly take them. Anyone else experiencing this?
angela
Unread 07-27-2005, 04:14 PM

I've had the same problem. The gas is from the anesthesia. It's released into the tissues in your upper torso, so you can also have headache, neck pain, chest pain, muscle aches in your arms and shoulders. All common after anesthesia. The good news is that goes away in time as you body rids itself of the gasses.
As for the bowel gas....walking is your best cure. Just don't overdo!
My doctor also put me on a stool softener after the surgury so I wouldn't have to bear down to have a bowel movement and push against the stitches. Ask your doctor about that.
Hang in there.....it get's better!
Haiku
Unread 07-27-2005, 05:45 PM

I am glad I am not alone. I am 9 days post op and the gas pains come in waves and takes my breath away. I started taking Metamucil to keep me regular. One day will have diarrhea, the next constipation. I am so glad I have this site to keep me company and to help calm my fears as I am healing
Unread 07-27-2005, 06:06 PM

For Tandm88 and other going too frequently, I had that same problem after bowel surgery 6 years ago. My doctor told me to try some of the following foods, and they really helped me: bananas, toast with peanut butter, tea (regular type), and marshmellows. I still have the tendency to go more often than most, but these things really do the trick. Hope that helps someone.
Unread 07-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Bowel pain

I am not sure this is just gas pain. It hurts with or without the gas..
Does anyone else have aching and hurting from the bladder area? When I do have gas, it feels like I'm going to explode before anything happens, and sometimes nothing happens. Sometimes my bowels move very slowly, painfully..... It's always soft or runny, sometimes with gas. When I urinate, it's off and on because when it starts to hurt, it cuts off the stream, and I have to go pee again in a half hr or so...it's been 2 weeks since my hyst.
Unread 07-27-2005, 06:25 PM

Same pain here as well, I'm almost 2 weeks post op. I have pain when going to the bathroom and I have to stop and breath slowly midstream. It's a pretty scary feeling. What I don't understand is why am I only learning about many of the healing issues now? My Dr. never provided much of anything that I would be experiencing. Even upon leaving the hospital, nobody said...Oh by the way...you may have some bladder pain or BM pain in the coming weeks.....Please let this pain end soon!! Did someone say that walking helps?

KDP

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register