Bowel Issues after procedure - Page 3 | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel Issues after procedure Bowel Issues after procedure

Unread 07-27-2005, 06:36 PM
I hear you KDP

I was told walking helps gas, but what about the bladder and the BM's? Their painful even when I have diarrhea. Which btw is ever other BM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDP
Same pain here as well, I'm almost 2 weeks post op. I have pain when going to the bathroom and I have to stop and breath slowly midstream. It's a pretty scary feeling. What I don't understand is why am I only learning about many of the healing issues now? My Dr. never provided much of anything that I would be experiencing. Even upon leaving the hospital, nobody said...Oh by the way...you may have some bladder pain or BM pain in the coming weeks.....Please let this pain end soon!! Did someone say that walking helps?

KDP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Bowel Issues after procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydo
I had my Hysterectomy April 26, 05 . I have done well with the Hyst. But also have had bowel issue. Frequently going to the bathroom and pasing lots of gas and tissuey stuff . Stomach cramps. colon spasms. Finally doc did a stool speciman on me ,, results( pseudomembranous colitis) caused by taking Antibiotics and knocking out the bodies natural flora. . It is very frustrating to have stomach cramps and the urge to go 24-7 . By the end of the day it feels like your rectum is inside out. Flagyll or VAncomycin. is the best treatments. I took Flaygl , It made me sick and It came back . Now I am on vancomycin. Trying to get ride of this stuff. Eat. Lots of yogurt if you can and I am now taking acidophlis to try to build back my bodies natural flora. Hope every one gets to feeling better. Hello to All. Scrappy
Wow Scrappy, when I read your answer to this post it kind of freaked me. Like you my Hyst went well, but I have a lot of bladder problems etc which I have explained before in other posts.
What freaked me was what you had in your bowel, I had the Pseudomonas aeruginosa of the bladder, which was either picked up in the hospital, or through a catheter change by a nurse. Similiar type of thing but mine was the bladder.

I had mucousy blood type stuff coming through my catheter, and the pain was unbelievable. I am on long term antibiotics, and the one I am on is the only one that this infection is susceptible to.

I hope this part isn't too much info, and can maybe help aomeone, but I am also having problems with my bowel in a way that when I am going, which is about 4 times a day, I feel it isn't really all coming away.
So one night instead of sitting on the pan, I just lay back against the pan and sighed, and unbelievably errrrrrr my bowel movement shot out LOL

Anyways, that is how I sit on the pan when having a BM and I am passing now with no problems, and it has also stopped that feeling of always having to go.
Sorry if my answer was long or TMI, but I just found it so weird we have a similiar type of thing, but one is of the bladder and one is in the bowel.

tandm88

I hope ypu get help soon hun and you feel more comfortable. Take care and as hard as these miserable things are try and keep your chin up girl.

Luvs and Hugs Peachy xxxxxx
Unread 07-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Lapatrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus
I have the opposite problem. I have very bad gas pains and do not have regular bowl movements yet. The pain from the gas is worse than the pain from the surgery! any suggestion? 6 days post.
I have had the exact same problem. The gas pains and constipation were worse than the symtoms from my fibroids. My hysterectomy was july 14.
I tried everything; colace, fiber increase, not eating much, gas -x tabs, prunes, prune juice, fiber cereal, more, water,etc. I even had to resort to a dulcolax suppository and when that didn't work an Enema, which was extremely painful! I can't tell you how terrible I felt. I stopped taking the percocet(narcotic) and am just taking the motrin every 8-10hrs and tylenol now and then when necessary.
Finally, yesterday I tried Citrucel powder in the afternoon and had a BM first thing in morning today. I also took a Reglan pill (prescription from doctor to get things started) when I went to bed the night before. I had also had prune juice,etc.
I'm going to try the citrucel again with dinner, and the colace and Reglan tonight before I go to bed. You might want to try it too.
Good Luck! I really wish you well and sympathize with you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2005, 07:02 AM

It has now been one week and one day since my surgery and the gas pain has finally started to dwindle! I suggest trying beano gas pills. I had more pain from gas than the actual surgery and these pills DEFINATELY helped with the gas, and use the stool softener if you find your one of the ones that can't go regularly. These two little things have cut my pain in half!
Unread 07-28-2005, 07:10 AM
thankyou

Hi I wanted to say thankyou for all the replies, I had hoped this would slow down by now being that the surgery was in the begining of May. I really appreciate everyones advise. funny thing is I have a job interview at an ob-gyn office on Friday. maybe i will get the job and the help. anyway thankyou very much
Unread 07-28-2005, 11:10 AM

Peachy,
That is freaky. And no, not TMI ,I have found on here that the only way to get it out there is to just say it. I think at some point either we've been there or our docs have gone there. Ha. What kinda meds did they put you on for your bladder? I am hoping that the Vancomycin I am on will clear this up. :hair: It makes you want to pull your hair out when you think you are on the road to recovery and bam. Some one pops you with something else or worse yet the same thing. :f to a fast and final recover from all the crazy things our hyst. have left in our wake.. Hope you are feeling better really soon.. .....Scrappy
Unread 07-28-2005, 11:24 AM

I hurt the same way, and also have trouble urinating. The uterus is located right behind the bladder. If you ever had an ultrasound they may have had you drink alot of water so they could see through the bladder into the uterus. So what this means is that the sutures from the vaginal cuff and other sutures from where they removed the uterus and tubes are right behind the bladder now. It's difficult to relax the muscles that controll the flow of urine and '"squeeze" the bladder to empty it without putting some pressure on your suture site. I'm three weeks out and although it's gotten easier to empty the bladder, it still requires some concentration to completely empty it because you're at the same time "gaurding" that suture site.
Unread 07-28-2005, 11:44 AM

I was just talking about this with my best friend minutes ago. I can't seem to eat anything without it going right through me. I must have diarrhia 5 or 6 times a day. It's horrible in the mornings and seems to get better as the day goes along.

I mentioned it to my surgeon and GP and they are not taking me seriously. The cramps are horrible and the urgency is unpredictable. I'm afraid I'm going to have an accident while I'm out of the house!

What is going on? I didn't have this problem before my surgery.

At least now I know a bunch of us are going through this.
Unread 07-28-2005, 01:40 PM

I would ask your GP or surgeon if you might have an infection in your bowel - they can test a sample - I know because I have to collect one...

If not - do you have a walk in clinic you can go to? Maybe they would ask for the test?

Hugs!!

Shauna
Unread 07-28-2005, 02:14 PM

Hi Scrappy

I am on Ciproxin antibiotic, as it is the only one that clears this thing up in my bladder. I am also on Lyrenal Xl for the spasms.

I am just about to go post and find out if someone can help me with another problem. I was bleeding today and I am four and a half months post op. My contact nurse said to give it 24 hours and she is coming in tomorrow morning and if it has not settled she will contact the doctor.

I am worried sick about it.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register