5 months post op with fatigue and depression | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 months post op with fatigue and depression 5 months post op with fatigue and depression

Unread 08-07-2005, 06:03 PM
5 months post op with fatigue and depression

I am writing to let you all know that I am worried about my mother. My mom was diagnosed having Primary Peritoneal Carcinoma in October 2004. She had 16 weeks of aggressive chemotherapy. After her chemotherapy she had a radical hysterectomy and exploratory surgery on March 30th 2005. Mom's gyn/onc surgeon said that the chemo did a miraculous(sp??) job killing and shinking the cancerous tumor.

Everything was going good for mom until June 25,2005. My grandma came to visit us and finally have some good times with my mom considering what all she went through with the chemo and all. My grandma had a 4 mini strokes on June 25 and 26th. For the past 5 weeks my mom has taken care of grandma and has taken her back home and gotten her situated. This past week I have been worried sick about my mom. She has been so depressed and exhausted. I am thinking it is a mixture of things that could be causing it. She has no energy and she is depressed because she is thinking about my grandma and hoping that the rest of the family are doing their share.

I went over to my parents place today around 2 and mom was in her pjs sleeping in the guestroom. I walked in and woke her up and gave her some pick me up gifts. Like stationary, a smilely face pin, a book etc... . She got up and ate but when i left she went back to sleep. I ask her if anything is bothering her physically and all she says is she is tired. She went for her 1st 3 month checkup On July 18 she saw the oncologist he said she is NED. No Evidence of Disease. Are depression and fatigue side effects after having a hystectomy? Any advice??? Should I let mom get caught up on her rest???

jb121
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2005, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb121
Are depression and fatigue side effects after having a hystectomy? Any advice??? Should I let mom get caught up on her rest???
Depression and fatigue are definitely among the possible side-effects of hysterectomy...or almost any major surgery, as a matter-of-fact. I think it would be a good idea to allow your mother to rest as much as she wants to. She's probably "listening to her body" and that's a good thing!

My other advice to you is to contact your mother's doctor with a list of questions you have about her post-op care and what you can do for her. Your mother has been through a lot. Her medical provider can assist you with your concerns about her health and well-being.

Many s to both you and her!
Unread 08-08-2005, 03:27 PM

Stress alone may be part of the reason for your Mom's reaction. She has been through a lot. After teh Chemo and surgery, she was still on the go with all the worry from Chemo. She may finally be on the mend.

It is amazing how stress can up our activity level for awhile, but it usually catches up with us. Keep checking up on her, and make sure this is a temporary condition.

You may also want your Mom to check on her hormones to make sure everything is at the right levels.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register