back from castle but in so much pain | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

back from castle but in so much pain back from castle but in so much pain

Unread 08-08-2005, 11:42 AM
back from castle but in so much pain

hi all. i had my tah last thursday and came home yesterday. my dr sent me home w/percoset only 20 , one every 6 hrs. in the hospital i was taking percoset 2 every 3 hrs and now its just not touching the pain. i called the drs ofc and asked if i could take motrin too and she said definately not due to bleeding and that i shouldnt be in so much pain. that the dr would have to see my today or tomorrow am. i dont think i can make that drive (45 mins) i dont know what to do. they make me feel like i am making it up just to get a fix or something. i have not slept in 4 days either. anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2005, 12:06 PM

Go to the doctor - but don't drive. Call a taxi, friend, neighbor. I had an abdominal SAH and was sent home from the hospital with approx. 20 percoset pills. Have only used about 6 in total. I didn't use any after I was home for 4 days.
Unread 08-08-2005, 12:34 PM

Hi Laura,
I'm sorry to hear you're hurting so badly. I hope you're resting and not trying to do too much. Doing things you shouldn't be doing is one thing that can increase your pain.
Do you have anyone who can help you so you don't have to be getting up and down so much? I'm sorry to hear it's such a long drive to your dr. You really do need someone to take you.
Please don't let anyone at the dr's office make you feel apologetic for calling and asking about your pain and what you can be taking for it. I think you did the right thing to call and ask them what to do. Could some of your discomfort be from gas? It's really common if you haven't gotten your bowels to move yet. You need to be drinking lots of water and making sure you have plenty of fiber in your diet. My dr had me take stool softeners from the very first day in the hospital. I hope this isn't a problem,but it is another thing that could be contributing to your pain.
I hope you will get some good care from your dr and that you will soon be feeling better.

's,Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2005, 12:51 PM

I definitely think you need more percocets than that. Keep calling. Insist on a refill. Tell them you are in no condition to drive 45 minutes. Keep insisting. If they say no, call back 30 minutes later and start the whole thing all over again.

This is real pain you are dealing with, and they have an obligation to give you the relief you need. Be assertive, and go get your meds.
Unread 08-08-2005, 02:01 PM

Laura,
Bless your heart. I am so sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Rita is right about the gas pain. I used Phazyme, but I have heard Gas-X is really good also. My doc discharged me home from the hospital on Percocet also. She said I could take 1-2 every four hours. When I told her that 2 made me feel "loopy", she said I could take 1 Percocet and 1 Advil together. I'm not trying to tell you how to medicate your pain, just letting you know what I was told. But, keep in mind that narcotic pain meds tend to "bind you up" and that could lead to more pain right now.

I also agree with Angella. Keep calling that doc's office. Don't back down. Your pain is real and, if nothing else, remind yourself that you're paying their salaries. They are there to work FOR YOU.

Hope you get feeling better very soon!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register