Hair Falling Out | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hair Falling Out Hair Falling Out

Unread 06-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Hair Falling Out

I'm three months post-op total abdominal hysterectomy and not taking any hormones. My hair is falling out quite a bit lately and I'm concerned how much longer this will go on.

Can anyone share any of their experiences on when this stops and if your hair grows back to its original fullness.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Re: Hair Falling Out

Hair falling out is a real good reason to call your dr. as it sounds like a possible Thyroid or Hormone issue. Maybe someone who's experienced this will have a better answer, but I hope it gets better for you soon!
Unread 06-03-2009, 01:58 AM

My beautician told me some of the drugs they use to put you to sleep will cause your hair to fall out...that is why she also didn't recommend having coloring done to my hair right after surgery. Plus, hormones could be giving you the same effect. I'm don't know how long this will last. I've been lucky, I haven't had that problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2009, 09:33 AM

3 weeks post op and hair is falling out also. but, it was starting to fall out before surgery which my friends and family said "stress". No I just got my hair colored and my girl said nothing about not coloring hair 3 weeks after surgery. But i've been told also about the anesthesia drugs will do that, I am waiting for it to stop, it has slowed down I think.
Unread 06-03-2009, 02:20 PM

Oh yes! This happened to me! I had a TAH/BSO in November; for many weeks afterwards, I didn't have any real menopausal symptoms. But at about the 3-4 month post op mark, my hair started coming out...it was awful! I have a LOT of hair, so no one really noticed, but I could SEE it in the shower after I had washed my hair. My husband noticed only when he touched my head, but he DID agree that I was losing hair.

God, there was hair everywhere. In the dishwasher, in the fridge; I had to vacuum every day...what a mess.

I went to my hairdresser, and she said that many people lose a lot of hair post-op just from the trauma of major surgery.

My husband did some research and found that vitamin B supplements are supposed to help. I took it for about a week but stopped because I already take so many pills for another medical condition that I really didn't want to take any more.

As suddenly as the problem cropped up, it went away. I suddenly stopped losing so much hair. The next time I went to the hairdresser, I reminded her of my previous problem, and she said that I now have tons of hair as usual.

I don't take HRT, so I can't really claim that it was a hormonal problem; I really believe that trauma was the cause. I suspect you might find the same is true in your case, and I suspect that after a few weeks, you may find that the problem has resolved itself like it did with me.

Let us know what happens!
Unread 06-04-2009, 01:41 AM

Hugs to you! Yes I had exactly the same thing, the summer of my op my hair started falling out! I thought I'd need to get a wig. But as suddenly as it appeared, it stopped! Thank goodness. NO HRT for me but I take lots of vitamins: calcium, glucosamine, MSM, B complex, multi vit, baby aspirin, coenzyme 10 (for 6 weeks) and omega3.
All the best.
Unread 06-06-2009, 10:23 PM

I had a TAH and my hair started to fall out just before my surgery, and then after my surgery it got worse. I could see it thinning on the top of my head. It also was so brittle and broken. I use to have really thick full hair. My doctor told me that it was very normal to lose hair like that after surgery. Your body goes through so much trauma and hormonal changes that it affects alot of things. Hair being one of them. I started taking a vitamin pack from GNC and also using the Nioxin shampoo. I have been doing it for two weeks now and I have noticed a big difference. My hair has stopped falling out as much. It is much softer and looks thicker to me. My husband noticed the difference as well when he touched it. I don't take hormones due to cancer, so I was quite happy to see that the shampoo and the vitamins have helped so much.
Unread 06-07-2009, 07:05 AM

Welcome to the club.

I am experiencing the same. Actually, for me it is not the first time, I had this problem already 9 years ago after a knee surgery. Furthermore, I had it stress related, too.

Ok to make a long story short: Can be stress related what causes an increase of male hormon (testosterone?).
It also happens after an anesthesia.

What I am currently taking (and this is not the first time I am going through this) I take Biotin. This is awesome for strong fingernails and HAIR!!!

The first time I had this problem I needed help from my gyn, too (hormones!) and also from a skin doctor (hair loss belongs to skin doctor's work :-). He gave me special hair shampoo for (against) hair loss and an additinal liquid I massaged my scalp every day.

Every hair salon also has awesome treatments, such as hair shampoo and massage oil for the scalp for hair loss problems.

The hair will grow again, at least in my case. And I was freaking out years ago when I had that issue ;-)
Unread 06-07-2009, 07:58 AM

Hi there,

My mother is a hairstylist and has been for 28 years, I am going through the same thing and its from the anestitic(spelling) and the pain meds as well... she advised that it can take months for it to slow down because the hair follicules are the last place that the meds will come out.... Hope this helps!!!!
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:16 PM

chuwee

Did you have fibroids?

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register