3 weeks post op, new bleeding | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks post op, new bleeding 3 weeks post op, new bleeding

Unread 08-19-2010, 09:45 PM
3 weeks post op, new bleeding

Hey all, I had a TVH on July 26. I also had vaginal repair done and aside from the cuff and internal vaginal repair I also have some perineal repair and stitches.

I haven't had any bleeding in about a week and half. But this morning I got up to go to the bathroom at 4am and I had some fresh, bright red blood from the area of the perineal stitches. It stopped after a few minutes and I have had no bleeding since but that area has been very sensitive all day. This after I'd had very little discomfort for at least a week.

I am just curious why I would have new discomfort and bleeding out of the blue after feeling alright for a week before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Re: 3 weeks post op, new bleeding

It is very possible your body is simply healing. As stitches dissolve there can be a bit more bleeding. Think of what happens when a scab is removed. Often, even if the sore is mostly healed, it might bleed a little if some new skin gets removed with the scab. If when a stitch loosens it takes a bit of scab with it, it is understandable there could be a bit of bleeding.

Also, if you have increased your activity level at all, the bleeding might be a sign you are overdoing it a bit.

As far as feeling pretty well and not so well now, were you on meds and now you aren't? Additionally, if you had increased your activity level, your body may just now be letting you know it wasn't quite ready for those movements on tender, healing areas.

The rule of thumb is that bright red bleeding that fills a pad an hour needs medical attention. Less than that should be okay. However, never hesitate to contact your doctor to determine if you are fine. Any new pain and new symptom should be discussed with your doctor.

Unread 08-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Re: 3 weeks post op, new bleeding

You're awesome Weiser, you've put my mind at ease with both my questions tonight and I appreciate it. Thank you.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register