3 months post op and back to riding my horse | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 months post op and back to riding my horse 3 months post op and back to riding my horse

Unread 03-16-2011, 06:19 PM
3 months post op and back to riding my horse

This past week I started riding my horse after 10 weeks off for recovery...I was able to throw my western saddle on my horse first try and today after 4 days of just walking and trotting, I loped. I feel really good and while my muscles are tired, no pain to speak of and handling all well. It is such a relief to know that I can get back to pre-op condition so quickly. First show in a month and I think I will be able to be ready enough to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Re: 3 months post op and back to riding my horse

Glad your doing good I had to wait until now I had my hyst Nov 9
Everything out Dr said since she had to do so much in there and because I had 35
Staples from my belly button down she wanted me to wait so today was the first time I got to ride since way before surgery I went all by myself and enjoyed every minute of it I love riding it is so relaxing...
Unread 03-16-2011, 11:14 PM

Thank you so much for posting this!

I'm at 7 weeks, have strep and a gap in my internal incision.. getting very depressed in the house looking out the window at the horses... wondering when I'll ever get back out there.

I see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2011, 01:02 AM

Same!! Thankyou for sharing this. It makes me feel like there is hope I may ride a horse again.
Unread 03-17-2011, 01:51 PM

Yea there is hope lol ....I'm sore today my butt is very tender lol ...but my stomach does not hurt at all I figured it would be sore but its not at all just be patient you'll be back in saddle in no time
Unread 03-17-2011, 03:48 PM

I just asked this question on "my" recovery thread dates. Did you have DaVinci? and 3months? I was so hoping the doctor would let me start after my 6 week post op ----if he releases me to work --then I would think I could ride? At least to start legging them up---compete after another 3-4 weeks--maybe I'm expecting too much too soon----I thought with Davinci our lives returned to normal quicker??
Unread 03-17-2011, 05:53 PM

Frosty: (and others) I had DaVinci and it really was 10 1/2 weeks. I was cleared to ride on a Monday but had to wait until Sat. because my horse had an abscess that had to drain first. My dr is pretty conservative and wanted me to wait 8 weeks but then because I had trouble with the stitches on the vaginal cuff at 2 weeks post-op, I had to wait 2 more extra weeks. I didn't want to screw anything up so I waited like I was told. I did start showmanship practice at 7 weeks because that is on the ground and my horse is really quiet. I am planning to start showing in a month. My legs are a little tired and achy but not bad. I'm building my time in the saddle and after 5 rides am up to 1/2 hr. with posting and half seat work and loping. I'm very optimistic!
Unread 03-17-2011, 10:07 PM

Yeah!!!! I was just thinking about going for a spin, and today is 5 weeks for me. When I saw my Dr at pre op consultation when I scheduled my surgery I pretty much had two questions: Do I really need this surgery and when can I ride after? He said then six weeks, so I'll find out next week at post op appt. Taking DD and mare to schooling show the 27th.

Happy days!
Unread 03-20-2011, 09:23 AM

coastlandscape: I'm not so sure I'd have been ready for a schooling show that quickly but good luck. I wanted to ride at 6 weeks but glad I waited a little longer because I felt so good in the saddle! Had a lesson yesterday and it went well. My hips were sore last nite...but tired sore. All that riding without stirrups! Less than a month to get show ready...Yikes!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register