First day back to work | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First day back to work First day back to work

Unread 09-17-2011, 07:44 PM
First day back to work

Hi, I'm 8 weeks post op and went back to work yesterday. It was very difficult! My stretchy yoga pants were killing me by 10:00 and I was very sore inside everytime I stood up I had to stand very slowly and pause a moment before I started walking. The thing the surprised me most was how emotional I was... I started crying in my car in the way there (managed to hold it in most of the day at work) and then cried all the way home and all night until I finally took a Gravol to make me sleep. I'm still sore today and have had the heating pad on since I got home yesterday. And still feel like crying today too although I'm doing better at keeping it in. I feel like a big mess! Almost as big as the mess that was left for me at my desk at work!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Re: First day back to work

I am so sorry your first day back to work was so hard for you! Mine was pretty tough too!

My doc gave me some xanax for the times when I am too emotional to deal w/things. I understand about the feeling sore too! I have made it through the past 2 weeks of work and it is getting better and better!

I still have days where I come home to the heating pad and crash...that's ok...healing is a slow process and we are making progress (even though sometimes it doesn't seem like much progress).

My own job is pretty stressful and I try to get my strength from knowing this is temporary and I will get to the end of the day and get home!

Best of luck to you with healing and getting back to work!
Unread 09-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Sorry to hear you had a rough first day. I got a stool at my desk and varied my foot position and also got up and walked around every hour and between both of those it helped.

My first day of work was ok and when I showed up the second day one of my co workers told me I looked terrible. I took a half day and went home and napped. The next day was better as long as I varied my foot position and walked around every hour or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Thank you Heidi! I appreciate your support :-)
Unread 09-17-2011, 08:37 PM

Thank you Kren... And you reminded me of another thing... My bladder is still sensitive so I had to get up and go pee constantly! I used to go once a day but yesterday I must have gone 4 or 5 times.
Unread 09-17-2011, 08:40 PM

Oh Sweetie I'm sorry to hear that. My entire first week was like that. It was hard. I got so tired by noon I had to leave and go home. My second week was much better although I still got a little sore from sitting in the desk chair for so long. Even though I was able to stay all day I was totally exhausted at the end. Try not to do anything when you get home but rest.
Unread 09-17-2011, 09:25 PM

I'm glad that I started on a Friday! And I'm very lucky that next week I am working Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I will take the other two days as "vacation" and rest in between. I had a feeling going back would be a challenge! I just didn't realize I'd be dealing with a mess at work, pain, nothing comfy to wear, overactive bladder, and out of control emotions at the same time! At least I can say life is interesting LOL!
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:56 AM

Oh you are so correct! "interesting" is the very least of what we deal with!

I have to goto the bathroom all the time too! I suppose it is just another trade off we have for surgery!

This week sounds like a good plan for you...on a day and off a day! My first 2 weeks back were shorter than normal and after the first full week back I am truly grateful!

Hang in there! It will get better!
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:20 AM

Hi sugar and spice,

I make 8 weeks tomorrow and have to go in to work. I have been emotional at times. I don't know why. I was telling my DH that I feel like a little girl going back to school. I don't know what will be waiting for me at my desk. I usually have a load of work. I am not 100% yet. I can relate I also can't fit into my regular clothing so I don't know what I will wear and I still feel achy and sore at the end of the day. I still swell up and incision still feels sore at times. I won't get much sympathy at my job. My boss will expect me to come in and do my job. I hope that it goes better for you tomorrow. I am hoping that the day goes smoothly for me. It is not easy so lets just take it one day at a time and hope for the better days that will come ahead. We just have to think positive. We can do all things through Christ who strenghthens us.
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:23 AM

Sugar and spice I forgot to tell you that you had me with a knot at my throat. I felt like crying with you. We are all in this together...

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register