Newbie: Do I need HRT or not? very confused. | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie: Do I need HRT or not? very confused. Newbie: Do I need HRT or not? very confused.

Unread 08-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Newbie: Do I need HRT or not? very confused.

Good morning ,
I had my total vaginal hysterectomy done on July 17, 2003, 4 weeks ago, and although I feel great physically my doctor is recommending I start estrogen replacement. Vivelle 0.05 mg patch was recommended and now he is adding progesterone to the treatment. Although I have great confidence in my Dr, I have a long history of every cancer you can think of in my family. My mom had ovarian, uterine cancer in her 30's and then breast cancer in her 70's. Two of my aunts have had uterine cancer, one of them also had breast cancer. My brother had a malignant tumor removed last year, etc. Anyway, am so confused with all the "hormone information" out on the internet that I just want a CLEAR read about if I should be on HRT or not. If yes I need therapy, does it decrease or increase my chances of breast cancer. Also, heart disease and stroke Ive read is a concern.
I have two little boys 4 & 6 years old and need to be around to take care of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Re: Newbie: Do I need HRT or not? very confused.

Estrogen alone does not appear to increase breast cancer risk for at least 10 years. Combined does increase risk. I believe it is the progestin vs progesterone that causes the increased risk.

Family members getting cancer in their 70s and beyond does not usually increase your risk for a certain kind of cancer because older people get cancer. Family members getting cancer when they are 50 or younger does increase your risk.
My mother had breast cancer at 30 and my grandmother at 50. My mother also had colon cancer at 60 (right on the cusp of is it old age or hereditary) since ovarian, breast and colon cancers run as a group I removed my ovaries. But I'm on estrogen only hrt. My mother was on compounded estrogen and progesterone for 10 years after her hysterectomy and she was fine, no reoccurrence of cancer.

You really need to address these issues with your DR and be direct. I was with mine. I directly asked him with my family history is HRT the right way to go and he put me at ease. Besides id be a basket case without it.

As for the cardiovascular risks, if you were premenopausal before your bso you are at a greater risk for cardiovascular issues without estrogen that with it. If you are under the age of natural menopause it is recommeneded to be on estrogen. Again adding progestin seems to negate this protective factor but I'm not sure about progesterone.

For me I won't be adding progesterone unless I hormonally need it.
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Newbie: Do I need HRT or not? very confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAsista View Post
Estrogen alone does not appear to increase breast cancer risk for at least 10 years. Combined does increase risk. I believe it is the progestin vs progesterone that causes the increased risk.

Family members getting cancer in their 70s and beyond does not usually increase your risk for a certain kind of cancer because older people get cancer. Family members getting cancer when they are 50 or younger does increase your risk.
My mother had breast cancer at 30 and my grandmother at 50. My mother also had colon cancer at 60 (right on the cusp of is it old age or hereditary) since ovarian, breast and colon cancers run as a group I removed my ovaries. But I'm on estrogen only hrt. My mother was on compounded estrogen and progesterone for 10 years after her hysterectomy and she was fine, no reoccurrence of cancer.

You really need to address these issues with your DR and be direct. I was with mine. I directly asked him with my family history is HRT the right way to go and he put me at ease. Besides id be a basket case without it.

As for the cardiovascular risks, if you were premenopausal before your bso you are at a greater risk for cardiovascular issues without estrogen that with it. If you are under the age of natural menopause it is recommeneded to be on estrogen. Again adding progestin seems to negate this protective factor but I'm not sure about progesterone.

For me I won't be adding progesterone unless I hormonally need it.
Thank you so much Casista. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

I spoke to my OB/GYN surgeon and he thought putting me on premarin was a good idea. That's it. And then I started to get massive headaches ( throbbing, nausea, increased heart rate) so he discontinued premarin and told me I could call my PCP and when I asked what plan B was he directed me to my PCP. My PCP recommended a compounding pharmacist that is the one whom recommended the vivelle patch .05 mg and the compounded progesterone cream. This compounding pharmacist also told me that my older GyN surgeon would probably recommend against the progesterone and that I should really consider going on it because it modulates the usage I the estrogen .
That's were all the confusion came in so many drs different opinions.
And I don't feel in the right mind to decide what's best. I wish the info out there about hormones was clearer because am so mentally foggy right now that I can't make a decision for the life of me.
Thank you so much for speaking up and trying to help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2013, 02:41 PM

Ya, there just isn't great research on this stuff and it is so variable. Honestly I personally will go on whatever mix it takes to feel normal. Quality of life is important too.

If you can find a dr who does menopause management that might help. I'm not loving my oral estradiol and hope to try the patch at my 4 week. My GYN doesn't like the patch so I think I may be off to see the menopause maven in our area soon. I can't imagine my GP having much of a clue about this myself. I don't know why but the compounding pharmacists really seem big into progesterone.
Unread 08-19-2013, 03:38 PM

That is true... Quality of life is most important but since I have my little ones I can't help wonder which is best estrogen patch with supplemental progesterone cream or NO progesterone.
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:57 PM

Well going fom the published "evidence" that we have, estrogen only has the least risks. Out of curiosity do you feel like you need progesterone?
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:58 AM

I don't feel like a need progesterone but everything the compounding pharmacist says encourages to go on supplemental progesterone cream. Apparently progesterone, according to pharmacist, helps all the hormones in your body help do the most they do and allow receptors of hormones to not compete for eachother. It's like it balances everything. But I don't know enough to just trust his judgement so I wanted to see if anyone in this site had experience with it or have been told the same things?

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register