4 1/2 weeks post op having issues - Page 2 | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 1/2 weeks post op having issues 4 1/2 weeks post op having issues

Unread 02-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Re: 4 1/2 weeks post op having issues

This is my first post. I am almost 5 weeks postop after a vaginal hysterectomy/bladder repair. I ended up with internal bleeding the day after initial surgery. Doc had to do an open lap to repair the bleeding. ended up in icu for 3 days and in the hospital for 5 total. I was suffering from severe anemia on top of unexpected additional surgery and recovery time. So i have a question. Because of my complications, should i expect a longer recovery? I have minor pain and pressure when walking and standing too long. I measured my waist yesterday thinking my swelling had gone down, but instead am 2 1/2 inches bigger around than before surgery. cant fit into anything. will this swelling continue to go down? I have been eating very healthy food. no junk. lean protein and green leafy veggies to help with anemia. I think I'm just getting a bit discouaraged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistikbird View Post
What exactly is a vaginal cuff?
Mistikbird,
You have a vaginal cuff if you had your cervix removed. My doc described it like the toe of a sock, they fold the top of the vagina over and sew it up.

I'm 8 weeks on Monday and when I do alot I still get that "strange feeling in my vagina, swelling is the culprit, I've read it can go on for 12 weeks or more. I'm also still spotting lightly , have been since the middle of week 3.

Prayers to all
Flower
Unread 02-08-2014, 04:07 PM
4 1/2 weeks post op having issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarland View Post
Mistikbird,
You have a vaginal cuff if you had your cervix removed. My doc described it like the toe of a sock, they fold the top of the vagina over and sew it up.

I'm 8 weeks on Monday and when I do alot I still get that "strange feeling in my vagina, swelling is the culprit, I've read it can go on for 12 weeks or more. I'm also still spotting lightly , have been since the middle of week 3.

Prayers to all
Flower
Oh wow.. I didn't know that.. Guess that's why I feel like my goods are falling out down there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
It is where they remove the cervix and create a flap at the top of the vagina that they stitch to close it off.
Unread 02-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
i didnt know what that was either. thank u ladies
Unread 02-08-2014, 09:19 PM

I have a "knotty/lumpy" incision... I've been told this is normal hopefully that's all yours is.. Unless your lum is nowhere near?

Quote:
Thanks ladies.. So noone else has had spotting?
Have another issue now, after getting out of the shower I noticed a tender lump on the bottom of my belly. It's about the size of a half dollar and wasn't there last night.
My mom is concerned that it's an infection of my incision site. I'll be calling the doctor Monday.
Unread 02-08-2014, 09:23 PM

My dr told me to expect a bit more exhaustion in my recovery and a little slower of recovery due to my severe anemia. My hemaglobin was at a 5.8 before surgery. After blood transfusion it was a 10.4 for surgery and after testing it after surgery I was at a 7. She did give me the option of another transfusion and I'm kinda wishing I had done it now. But I opted to see what it ended up on its own with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopchick View Post
This is my first post. I am almost 5 weeks postop after a vaginal hysterectomy/bladder repair. I ended up with internal bleeding the day after initial surgery. Doc had to do an open lap to repair the bleeding. ended up in icu for 3 days and in the hospital for 5 total. I was suffering from severe anemia on top of unexpected additional surgery and recovery time. So i have a question. Because of my complications, should i expect a longer recovery? I have minor pain and pressure when walking and standing too long. I measured my waist yesterday thinking my swelling had gone down, but instead am 2 1/2 inches bigger around than before surgery. cant fit into anything. will this swelling continue to go down? I have been eating very healthy food. no junk. lean protein and green leafy veggies to help with anemia. I think I'm just getting a bit discouaraged.
Unread 02-09-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somrluvin View Post
I have a "knotty/lumpy" incision... I've been told this is normal hopefully that's all yours is.. Unless your lum is nowhere near?
I'm really not sure if it's on one of my incision sites because it's on the underside of my belly
Unread 02-09-2014, 09:16 AM

I didn't have a transfusion even tho my levels dropped to 6. However my levels were normal at pre-op visit. 5 weeks later my hematocrit is higher than before surgery. Probably due to all the iron and good diet. So for that I'm very thankful. Now I guess I just need to focus on healing and being patient...still feels like my pubic bone has been hit with a sledge hammer. Why is that?
Unread 02-09-2014, 10:08 AM

I kept my cervix, as I had the DaVinci super cervical ( I pad auto correct) but since learned they. Put a mesh behind the cervix and cauterize to prevent periods. I too notice I get swelling inside the vagina when I do too much, and smelly belly. I still can't wear my jeans for any length of time. But doing nothing is soo hard to do. Good luck with your recovery....we will. All get through it.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register