Pubic shave | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-02-2002, 12:20 PM
Pubic shave

I am scheduled for a TVH on July 8. Can the ladies who've had this procedure tell me if they needed a pubic shave. The thought of that makes me extremely uncomfortable, but forewarned is forearmed!

Chuckies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2002, 02:55 PM
Pubic shave

I had a shave, but the nurse only shaved about an inch at the hairline. She used an electric razor and it took all of 10 seconds to do it.
Unread 05-02-2002, 03:26 PM
Chuckies

Hugs and hi there. In answer to your question, I had a LAVH last sep and yes a full shave was needed. It was a little embarrassing as my prolapse was so bad the nurse had to be very careful Lol, but it was very quick. It is done for risk of infection etc and gives surgeon a better view. Good luck with your up coming surgery Hugs Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2002, 03:31 PM
Pubic shave

Chuckies,
When I had my surgery they shaved the very back after I was asleep. I was very greatful of this it saved any embaressment that I would have had! Hopefully if they shave you it will be after they put you out.
Mel
Unread 05-02-2002, 04:04 PM
Pubic shave

With my doc's permission, I did my own shaving, starting a few weeks ahead of time. My doc would've done it after I was asleep anyway, but I wanted to be in control -- as I always do.

You might ask about whether they'll do it while you're asleep, or if you can do it yourself at home. I wouldn't just do it without checking; some docs don't want you do.

Melissa
Unread 05-02-2002, 04:29 PM
Pubic shave

Hi, I had a TAH. I did get shaved alittle but I was asleep for that and the cath. insertion The OR nurses do it at the hospital I went to.Every place as differnent proceedures.Also every Dr. does things. Diff. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Take care. Angela
Unread 05-02-2002, 04:39 PM
Pubic shave

Hi, Ladies,

My hysterectomy was done with no pubic shave, for which I am thankful.

It is very important that you not shave yourself, unless your doctor OK's the idea first. Some hospitals won't do surgery if you have shaved yourself, because they have found that this increases the patient's chance of infections.

So the moral is: ask before you shave your pubic region. If shaving is needed, the hospital may insist upon doing the job itself. Good luck with your surgeries!

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 05-02-2002, 04:47 PM
Pubic shave

It never occured to me that shaving yourself could cause infections. No one told me not to and I did it myself. The preop nurse said I did an excellent job and there was no problem. I guess it is a good idea to call ahead and ask.
Unread 05-02-2002, 06:39 PM
Pubic shave

I had a SAH, and no shave here. I did notice afterwards that they had 'trimmed' the hair at the very top, I guess they didn't want it getting in the way. My surgeon only orders a shave for vaginal hysts (for obvious reasons).

Ask your doctor and hospital what their usual procedures are. They will be happy to answer your questions!

Unread 05-02-2002, 06:52 PM
Pubic shave

I also had a TVH and was told by a nurse in the gyn's office I would probably get trimmed not shaved. Then when I got to the prep area the nurse was waiting to trim me and my dr. came in to talk with me. As I waited to be trimmed I asked the nurse again if I was going to get trimmed as it was almost time for surgery and she said no not afterall. The dr. didn't even look at me there to see if I needed it. I was thankful I didn't have to have the trim and risk post op itching.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register