Germs!!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-04-2002, 10:19 AM
Germs!!!

Last night, my best friend (the one that's moving 250 miles away today) and I went to Denny's for supper. Across from our table was a family with three teenagers. Two of the three were sneezing all over the place and coughing like they were trying to hack up a hair ball!

I was getting totally panicky just listening to them, cause I know if I catch a cold or anything, my surgery might be cancelled, and if that happens you might as well just go ahead and commit me to the nut house. My friend said I was over reacting, but if I'd had a can of Lysol, I would have sprayed them then and there.

Last week, our receptionist at work came in and sat down in my cubicle. She looked kind of icky and I asked her what was wrong and she said she thought she was coming down with something. I immediately expelled her from my cubicle. Don't these people have any brains? AAAAUUUUGGGHHH!!! All I need on top of everything else I've had is to get sick now!

Okay, I have 18 days left. What can I do to protect myself from nasty bugs short of locking myself in my house for the next 2 1/2 weeks? I'm already taking two multi-vitamins with iron a day and trying to stay away from anyone who even remotely looks ill. But we've also got a hepatitis A epidemic in my area right now, and that's worrying me too. (I eat out a lot, and that's where the infections are coming from - restaurant workers who don't wash their hands.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lisa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2002, 10:35 AM
Germs!!!

Hi, Lisa,

The best way to avoid respiratory infections is to wash your own hands, frequently. Often airborne viruses, which have been expelled through coughs or nasal secretions, end up on objects which we touch. When you touch an object which has these viruses on its surface, then touch your own face, you may also be infected with the virus.

So wash your hands, and you will be less likely to get a respiratory infection.

To avoid gastroenteritis, avoid raw foods of all types, be sure the foods you eat have been cooked thoroughly, expecially meats, and avoid restaurants.

And please try not to get too nervous about getting sick before your surgery. Often, unless you have a fever, hospitals will not cancel your surgery.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 05-04-2002, 10:44 AM
Germs!!!

wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.

if your can't get to water, buy a bottle of that waterless sanitizer stuff to keep handy, it'll do a good job in a pinch if you shake hands with a sicky at a business meeting or something!

good luck!
(I am hoping my patients don't get me sick, too.....luckily, I take care of mostly pregant or postpartum women/girls.....go maybe it's my kids I should worry about......ack! ack!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2002, 11:43 AM
Hey

Hi, Sashi,

I know what you mean about eating out! I've only eaten out once in the last 4 weeks! I can't believe the number of cases we're getting here.

As for avoiding cold and the like, I've been told to do the handwashing frequently. But, in addition, avoid touching your mucus membranes, like your eyes, nose, and mouth. If you do get germs on your hands, they can't get into your system unless they get to your mucus membranes.

I, too, was afraid something would get me at the last minute. When the nurse did my prep (shaving, ....) I asked her if I had a temp. I was just sure something would happen to postpone my surgery, even up to the last temperature check! lol

Fortunately, I was ok & its all over.

I'm 20 days post now and thinking of trying to go back to work next Tuesday. (Monday is my last sick day.)

Take Care!

Debbie

Unread 05-04-2002, 03:13 PM
Hey Debbie

I've been wondering how you are doing. Gosh, it doesn't seem like 20 days have gone by already!! I just hope the next 18 go as fast.

I'm glad to hear that you are doing okay, but don't rush back to work too fast! As we've heard here time and again, you only get once chance to heal.

I eat out here a lot, but I try to stay in nice restaurants, not the smaller "Mom and Pop" places. I'm even afraid of some of the fast food places. Since my best friend is moving to Miami tonight (he leaves in 2 hours), I probably won't be eating out nearly as much.

I wanted to ask you if they put those leg massagers thingies on you like some of the ladies described. Those sound pretty cool. I hope I get a private room too. Were you on the OB/GYN floor or the Surgical floor? Were the nurses good about getting your pain meds to you? Did you have a general anesthesia? Sorry so many questions, but since you've just been to "our" castle, I figure you're the person who can tell me what to expect from there.

Thanks Debbie,

Lisa

Unread 05-04-2002, 08:29 PM
Germs!!!

Hi,

I'm sorry your friend is moving. I'm really am going to try to go back Tuesday for money's sake. But I'm just going to do half days, I think.

Probably over did it tonight, I'll let you know tomorrow! My hubby is in a big golf tournament in Lakeland this weekend & we went to the party. Texas Cattle Company caters it & it was good. They always have a good band. This year it was the Rouges, a local group that does 50's-80's music. We only danced 3 slow dances. lol I'm just a bit sore, but my hubby's hip gave out before I did!

I was on M5 which is the ob/gyn floor in room 5135. It was a nice private room & that nurse's station was really quiet. They were regular with my pain meds. Had a friend in 5104 & her nurse's station was loud!

Yes, you get the massage thing's. They actually felt pretty good to me.

I had the general. I think I actually fell asleep in the pre-op room where they start your IV because that's the last thing I remember until I was in my room. Don't even remember the recovery room. (Which I DID when I had my gall bladder out.) My dh says I was talking in the hallway on way to room, but not making sense! lol But he always says that!

The private rooms do not cost any more than the semi's, so ASK for one!

Keep in touch!

Debbie

Unread 05-04-2002, 09:03 PM
I dont know what to do?

I have been sick now for a week and a half! My surgery is this Wednesday and im still coughing up stuff. I went to my doc friday and they said it was a virus and it would just have to run its course. I will be so disappointed if i cant have my surgery done this wednesday..granted im scared to death! I have been trying to drink alot of water to flush out my system and just taking it easy but its still not going away...I dont know what im going to do!!!
Unread 05-05-2002, 09:21 AM
Debbie, One Last Question

Hi Debbie,

One last question about your castle stay at LRMC. Did you have a PCA pump after surgery to allow you to control your own pain meds?

Thanks,

Lisa
Unread 05-05-2002, 10:06 AM
Germs!

Hi Shashi!

I know how nervous it can be to count down the days and worry about getting ill ( especially from careless people!! ). Like others have said, just take the precautions that you can and try to avoid those situations.

My students are profoundly mentally and physically disabled. Because our school is a special school in the district, their parents tend to send them whether they are ill or not. Tube feeding, changing diapers, orally feeding, wiping noses, drool, vomit, discharges, and other bodily fluids are all part of our routine day. At first I was very easy to panic over possible infections. But, we just took our usual precautions. I thought of all the other professions with even more risks - Ex. medical field. Then think of the normal odds of getting ill. It kind of puts things in perspective. I hope this helps.

Rayna
Unread 05-05-2002, 10:46 AM
Thanks, Ladies!

Thanks for all of the great advice on avoiding illnesses. I have some of the Germ-X handwashing stuff, and have used it so much in the last few days that I smell like a hospital.

Rayna, you had a good point about the normal odds of getting sick. It's been quite awhile since I've been had a cold or flu anyway. I guess I'm just thinking of Murphy's Law - if anything bad can happen, it will.

I'll try to stop spazzing out of this and just use some common sense.

s to you all!

Lisa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register