Poss. ovary removal/rectocele/cystocele | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Poss. ovary removal/rectocele/cystocele Poss. ovary removal/rectocele/cystocele

Unread 05-05-2002, 06:39 AM
Poss. ovary removal/rectocele/cystocele

Hi Ladies,
I was to the Dr. last week for my 1st post-op yearly pap etc. While doing the exam, she found a few things. First, I have an ovary that is 3-4 times the size it is supposed to be. And second, I have both a rectocele and a cystocele (don't know if that's spelled right). I go tomorrow for an ultrasound to determine how bad things are, but if it's anything like the ultrasound I went for when first diagnosed with numerous fibroids, it's probably not going to be good. I guess my first question is: If I have to have the L ovary out, should I have the R one out too to prevent having to have surgery AGAIN in another year? Next, I've seen people post things about rectocele/cystocele repair. What does this involve and is it painful? I'm hoping that if they have to take the ovaries that they can do it laproscopic.
Any help/advice you ladies can give is ALWAYS appreciated.
Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2002, 10:50 AM
Hi Tammy

I don't know about these procedures. But I wanted to bump you up and hopefully someone will come along who does.
I don't know your age either. But if you are under 45ish you might want to keep your one ovary if it is healthy. Please discuss the pro's and con's with your doctor thoroughly. Sometimes they cannot tell for sure the health of the ovaries until they get in there.
I had everything out and am on the patch. I am very lucky in that it is working well. I feel really good. I don't know if keeping mine were an option or not. But for me, at 50, I know I did not want to go through another surgery.
You may want to post your question on the Post-Op forum and/or the Road Less Travelled to get some additioinal feedback from women who have already gone through these procedures.
You can also use the Purple Search Button in the upper right hand corner and do a search on these procedures.
Good luck to you and keep us posted.
Unread 05-05-2002, 11:50 AM
Poss. ovary removal/rectocele/cystocele

Hi, Tammy,

I'm sorry that you are having more problems after your hyst, but glad that you have come back to Hystersisters.

I had a rectocele and a cystocele repair at the same time as my hyst. They are caused from prolapses of the bladder and bowel, and in the surgery that I had, my doctor cut and removed the excess tissue from the vaginal walls and then stitched it all back up again. In my case, there was discomfort from the stitches - I found it to be kind of like an episiotomy, and there is pressure on the area when you are sitting. I needed pain killers for the first couple of weeks.

You will want to have a "donut" pillow to sit on - I would recommend that you have one for the car ride home. 2 days after I came home my DD bought me one, and I wished that I had had it earlier. I went back to work at 5 1/2 weeks, and for the first couple of weeks I carried the pillow with me to sit on at work, too.

Here is a link to a site that contains pictures of actual surgeries - the pictures are pretty graphic, so if you are squeamish at all, you may not want to visit the site. http://pelvicfloor.com/library/

A agree with Shelley's advice that you might want to consider keeping your remaining ovary if it is healthy, if your doctor agrees.

's

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register