Catheter after abdominal surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheter after abdominal surgery? Catheter after abdominal surgery?

Unread 07-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Catheter after abdominal surgery?

Hi - reading all the posts here, I'm starting to think I am the only person who didn't have a catheter put in after an abdominal hysterectomy!!

I had to get up about every 2-4 hours the first day to go to the bathroom from all the IV fluid. It wasn't all that hard so I didn't think much about it. Now in retrospect, I wonder what would've happened if I couldn't get up!

My doctor never said anything about a catheter and I never even knew that was an option. He was pretty thorough about everything else I can expect. I wonder how they decide whether to put one in. Did anyone else not have a catheter? Just curious....

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2005, 07:59 PM

I had a LAVH/BSO not an abdominal and yes I had a cathetar.
I hope you are doing good!
Unread 07-24-2005, 08:10 PM

I had a LSH and a catheter. It was a good thing, since I had complications that kept me from getting up. Especially since I ended up in emergency surgery the next day as well and in ICU for the rest of my stay. My original surgery was Tuesday, I didn't even sit up until Thursday. They tried to get me up and walking around and I threw up. (I told them I didn't feel well.) No one tried again until Friday evening. Saturday morning, they pulled the catheter, I used the restroom, and I was released to go home.

It's amazing, when you think about it, what your body goes through and how you can recover so quickly. All I wanted to do is go home to get a good night's sleep (there is no sleeping in an ICU unit) and be with my family.

Patti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2005, 08:31 PM
I did, thank goodness!!

My hyst was 5 days ago and yes I did have a catheter and I'm really glad I did because they said the i.v. fluid was going right thru me! Plus I had the blow up things on my legs to help prevent blood clots ( I hated those things, made me feel trapped) , oxygen up my nose and the i.v.(not to mention being nausous and throwing up the first 12 hrs. after).. I can't imagine having to get up to go to the bathroom!! The next morning everything was taken out or off of me so I could walk around. That feeling was sooooo good!! But I asked the doc about the catheter beforehand and was a little relieved to know I wouldn't have to get up until I was good and ready!!! Good luck
Unread 07-24-2005, 08:32 PM

Ugh, that would have been horrible. The catheter was my best friend. I'm so glad I didn't have to get out of bed the first day. I hated it when they removed it because I didn't want to keep getting up. Your doctor must have a different protocol and has obviously never had abdominal surgery.
Unread 07-25-2005, 11:32 AM

Interesting. I really didn't think it was that bad getting up. It hurt more to actually urinate than to get up and walk.

Any one else? Am I truly the only one? I will have to ask my doctor the next time I see him, though at this point it's more idle curiosity.

And Robbi, yes, I feel I'm doing very well! I've started going back to work part time last week and so far so good. Just need for the swelly belly to go down!

Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register