New and Scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New and Scared New and Scared

Unread 10-04-2001, 07:14 PM
New and Scared

Hi There, I am new at this and scared to death of everything going on. I went to see my Gyn. on the 20th of September and he was going to put me on more birth control pills. I have been diagnosed with Endo. and sever bleeding during my monthlys and have had several ovary cyst. Sorry for my spelling. I am 40 yrs old and had my tubes tied for18yrs now. Well getting back to the Gyn appt. he told me either birth control pills or a hysterectomy and I told him I would perfer the Hysterectomy . well he ordered a TAH/BS . I have talked to so many poeple including my regular doctor and he told me to go ahead and have my Ovaries taken out since I hav had problems with Ovary Cyst. Well I called my Gyn and the receptionist told me I had to get make another appt. I think that is crazy. I have pre-op on the 15th of October and surgery on the 17th . I have been told I would not be able to do a thing I am overweight and scared I will really get overweight and hate myself because of it. I am a ever emotional person I cry every month during my monthly. I know I am running off at the mouth and this might not make any since to anyone. My husband is supportive about this and says if it will help he goes for it. I just can`t talk to him to much about it because he does not understand that this is going to be a lot of recovering and ups and downs. I have no one to talk to around this area and I wished I did. I really do need to have someone for the support. My family lives in Iowa and I live in Texas. I am sorry I just ran off at the mouth. I just would like some responds if I should leave my Ovaries or have them taken out. Please Help...
Thanks
TxOnlySweetie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2001, 07:38 PM
New and Scared

Welcome aboard! I had the same concerns myself. I'm 43, and at the age where taking the ovaries is debated. However, I had a lot of lower left quadrant pain during ovulation, plus terrible migraine-like headaches one week out of the month. My doctor recommended removing them, and I finally decided to do so. I am probably one of the few very lucky ones that have ventured into the hormone jungle, but I FEEL GREAT! I feel so levelled out! I haven't had a headache (hope I didn't jinx myself) since my surgery 4 weeks ago, and I'm bunches calmer. Every day is the same - no up and down mood swings. I'm on 1.25 mg of Premarin, and it's just perfect for me. My libido is back in full force, and I feel at peace with myself. Of course, you need to do what you and your doctor feel is best in your case, but I wouldn't have them back for nuthin!

Best of luck with your hyster.

MarlaSue

TAH/BSO 9/7/01 - endo, adeno, adhesions, renegade pre-cancerous fibroid
Unread 10-04-2001, 08:40 PM
New and Scared

TxOnlySweetie-Hi there. I had a SAH/BSO in Aprl and am doing fine. I had my ovaries out because I have had breast cancer and my oncologist said that would be best. I am 45 and had breast cancer at 36. I had to have the right ovary taken to begin with since it was cystic but was going to leave the left. My oncologist said to take it out also so I told my surgeon/gyn the morning of the surgery to take it. She would have had to anyways since it was bloody and cystic, also. I don't know why you need another appt. with your gyn just to let him/her know that you want your ovaries taken. Doesn't make sense to me. Have you told the receptionist to give the message to your doc anyways regardless of her saying you needed any appt? Tell the doc at your pre-op what your decision is. And only you can make that decision. But check out this web site especially the post-op site and see what the other ladies say about the ovaries out. I, too, had PMS bad during my monthly cycle. I don't have any ups and downs now. I did right after surgery when my body was adjusting to life with no ovaries. I don't take HRT because of my cancer history. So far, so good. I am overweight also by the tune of over 90 pounds. This hasn't put anymore weight on me. I initally lost about 10 pounds from not eating much in the hospital and the uterus being taken out with fibroids. What causes most of my weight gain is lackof exercise and I am planning to take care of that. My cancer is estrogen positive and even tho I have been cancer free for 8 years ( I had a recurrance in 1993.) having alot of body weight increases the estrogen factor. I wish you the best in your search for answers. Don't be afraid to take a list of questions to your doc and talk more to your hubby. There are alot of posts on this site that deal with recovery and what the hubbies and families need to do to help. Don't be afraid to ask! You only heal once! Let them take care of you! And if you have a church family ask for help. That is what they are there for! Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2001, 04:47 AM
Hello fellow October sister

Hi,
Your surgery is the day after mine. I am having a TAH/BSO on the 16th. Mine was not an option of what to keep as I have endo that my doctor thinks is pretty much everywhere. Since I am 42, no sense in keeping anything that could give me problems later he said.

The panic, fear, anxiety, and worry have all started setting in BUT also the "wow, this is my last period and NO more pain!!" No more yucky panties to keep, no more waking up in the middle of the night in a puddle, no more feeling like I am giving birth to twin baby elephants each month!!! has almost outweighed the negative aspects of this surgery! All the ladies here say the waiting is the WORST part and I believe them!!! I have tried to keep occupied by redocrating my master bedroom, CLEANING everything, and shopping. Not sure why but I have lost weight this last few weeks and hope after surgery I will lose more.

Hang in there, girl!!! We are ALL here for you! This site is a Godsend and the ladies are soooooo wonderful and supportive!!!!Your doctor will do what is best for you and you HAVE to do what your body tells you also!! As the wise ladies here say, You only have one chance to heal properly!! If you would like, you can email me directly at willoughbyj1@cs.com. We can cry, scream, and laugh together!!! We will only be one day apart in surgery so we will be going through the same things at the same time. Take care of yourself and know that we are ALL here for you!!!
Unread 10-05-2001, 04:54 AM
New and Scared

Hi and Welcome! I am five days post op and you know what? I feel better than I have i a long time...even with the soreness! I would do it again in a heartbeat, and I had a hard time with the anesthesia!
this is worth the wait and all the panic we go through. I know this was the best thing I could've done for me!
I even got romantic thoughts last night! Can you believe it? 4 days post op and romantic thoughts! I haven't felt that way in a couple of yrs! I am looking forward to the moment when we can actaully do soemthing about it! haha
Seriously, you will make it. With all the pain you have had, this will be easy! When you first wake up, and the pain is gone form all the endo and such, you will feel sore and tired, but so much better! As far as the ovaries, I chose to keep mine, but I didn't have endo. As long as there are ovaries producing estrogen, it can come back. Might think abut that. If they get it all, then of course, it can't but I hear that is hard to do.
Praying for you Hon. Write anytime. Vent all you want and be well......you are on your way!
Love and hugs
Peanut
Unread 10-06-2001, 12:17 PM
hi Tx

Just wanted to say hi, if you need to vent, you've come to the right place. I am so thankful I discovered this site recently...I am having my surgery the 19th, 4 days after my 43rd birthday, some present, huh?

I am also overweight and sometimes get very depressed about it, othertimes not much of an issue. Usually I figure out what I am really depressed about is not the weight itself but something else the weight is masking.

I don't have much to say other than I'm on your side and I hope you'll keep visiting & posting.

gentle hugs
doreen
Unread 10-06-2001, 01:02 PM
New And Scared

Thanks to all that replyed to my post I have been reading alot of different postings and it has helped out alot I decided on the day of my surgery I will be telling my doctor to go ahead and take it all out I do not want to go though another surgery to take out my ovaries with me already having cyst in them before I do not need to take the chance. I thank everyone for being so friendly and loving to me and I consider you all family to me. I am just counting the days until the surgery day. So I have 11 more days to go...
HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSS to All my NEW Friends
I do have AOL Messager now.. Buddie Name is (TxOnlySweetie)
And my E-mail is : Sky_Blue_34@yahoo.com

Thanks to ALLLLLLLL
Unread 10-06-2001, 01:17 PM
New and Scared

I just wanted to say that I hope you heal quickly and enjoy the period free life! LOL It is just now 8 days PO setting in that my menstraul wont be coming again! yeah!!!! I kept my ovaries due to the fear of hormonal imbalance but now I hear that it isnt a problem for most. I think in YOUR case taking your overies would be best. Good luck and tell us how you feel after you have your surgery.
Unread 10-06-2001, 02:06 PM
New And Scared

Thanks Breanna I will let you know.. I am having problems with my hubby telling to slow down and quit cleaning and painting and changing the drapes and things like that I went shopping the other day and bought me some new nighties and slippers and this was the first time not buying monthly products ... Hubby was asking if I needed to pick up anymore and I told him I better not ... Just got over a 2 weeker and I will be excited when I can get rid of it alllllllllll.... Have a question though ... Do you like you can`t sleep nat all ??? I go to bed at 11:00 and sleep until 2:00 and then up until 5:00. Is that normal? Better run and get started again have to do laundry and then I can relax for the rest of the day..

HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
TxOnlySweetie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register