Concerned about my decisions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Concerned about my decisions Concerned about my decisions

Unread 04-26-2003, 04:15 PM
Concerned and Thank you!

I have been in pain since I was 16. I have endo and did a lap 12/94. I am 26 years old and I have made the decision about getting a hysterectomy. I have been bleeding for over a year now. I can't even walk my daughter to the bus stop without bleeding. My tubes are tied and I have two children (vaginal). I have tried many medications and the last step would of been Lupron. I don't want to go through menopause. I have done all the options. Another lap on 1/03 and a DNC a month ago. It seems that this is my last resort. My doctor said she would do a VH and I told her that I recommended a lap instead. But it's her choice. I told her that I wanted to keep one ovary so I don't have to be on any medication. She said keeping one I might experience some cramping and pain. So that is why I cannot decided if I should keep one or none.

So what is the difference?

1) Which one is really the better way? VH or Laparoscopy?

2) What is the difference between having no ovaries or just one?

Thank you all for your input.
From thinking it over I will keep my one ovary and ask the doctor to do the LAP. I just don't feel secure with them doing a VH. I can only hope she will agree with me. I am having a very hard time mentally and physically.
Any suggestions please write away. Thank you ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Concerned about my decisions

Hi,

What is your diagnosis? Why the hyst? Sometimes because of the medical reasons for a hyst the ovaries need to be removed. What has your DR recommended?

And has your DR given you a choice of which type of procedure? Sometimes because of the situation one way is better than another, and the DR will always leave themselves the option of changing to a different procedure once surgery is underway just in case there is something unexpected. This is something to discuss with your DR if you haven't already.
Unread 04-27-2003, 04:38 AM

Hi Kimber and welcome!

I agree with MaryLou that you really need to discuss these questions with your Dr. Your Dr. will discuss your options as to which way your surgery can be performed and the reasons why.

At 26 you are very young to have a hyst and to have both ovaries removed. As MaryLou said, a lot will depend on why you are having your surgery. It is often preferable to keep at least one ovary to avoid going the HRT route, but this is not always possible.

As you still have some time before your scheduled surgery date, I would suggest that you make a list of your questions and speak to your Dr. in person with list in hand. Jot down answers you receive and make notes if needed on other things that come into the conversation. If you are not satisfied with all of the answers, then please a second opinion.

Having a hyst is a major, non-reversible surgery. I know that for many women it is a last resort to end pain and excessive bleeding and they never look back. For me, it was life-saving. But if you have doubts or concerns, doing your research now is the most important thing you can do for yourself.

Good luck to you! I'm very glad that you have found HysterSisters and hope that you find the answers you are looking for. Let us know how you are, ok?

Best wishes and s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2003, 07:01 AM

Hi

It does sound like you've done all the right things and that your decision for a hysterectomy is probably well founded. As for what kind of surgery to have, this is really something that your should decide, as there are many factors that go into deciding what the best surgery is. Actually, with endo many doctors prefer abdominal surgery so that they can make sure they get a good look and can remove all the endo, if possible. So discuss the alternatives with your doctor and you will understand which approach is best for you.

As for the ovaries, they are often taken in women who have endo, but I can understand that at your age your doctor might want to leave at least one. You are very young to be without your own hormones. The risk, of course, is recurring endo. This is something else that really needs to be discussed with your doctor. There is no clear answer for either of your questions. At least not from here!!
Unread 04-27-2003, 07:05 AM

Kim,
I am 28 and i have had the same problems.My doctor told me with endo,it just keeps growing.I had several lap done to remove it and it just came back.I wanted to keep one of my ovaries but the doctor said eventually i would end up loosing the other,and i didnt want to have to go through it twice,so i decided to have it all taken out,we can give you advise but its your decision sweetie.and we are all here for you...keep us posted

Tj
Unread 04-27-2003, 08:48 AM
Been there

I too am 26, I begin having symptoms of endo when I was 12. In December I had a hysterectomy after several surgeries to remove endo, drain cysts, fix a retroverted, retroflexed uterus, and remove severe CIN III. Enough was enough, and all my hormones were crazy.
I was offered Lupron, but did not take it after getting many opinions from doctors. It was explained to me that Lupron was most beneficial to women after laproscopy if they planned on becoming pregnant after the Lupron treatment was over.
I eventually went to a general surgeon to have the surgery done. He did a TAH/ BSO appy. His thought was that if a woman has endo bad enough that a hysterectomy is warranted, it is best to open and actually be able to see how bad the pelvis looks. I was told that even though you can see with the other procedures, you get a better view when you are open. I think that if you have requested that your doctor open you, then she should respect your wishes. If not, you may want to reevaluate the relationship.
As far as ovaries go, each of us must make their own choices. I was given a choice. My doctor said that as long as I still had even one of my ovaries there was a chance that the endo would still grow and thrive. I also cannot take hormones for 1 year. So far I have done okay with this therapy. Each of us are different though. I wish you the best of luck with this.
Unread 04-27-2003, 11:04 AM

I too have had problems since a teenager, mine from appendix rupturing and causing adhesions. Then the endo came. Went through surgery after surgery. Was offered lupron also but didn't want to go the menopause route. I had TVH 2/02. To me it was easier than childbirth, however longer recovery due to everything going on inside. I kept my ovaries. Well, I had part of an ovary removed years ago due to problems. I don't have the cramping or anything. I do still ovulate and get a bit of PMS, however, no bleeding anymore. I kept my ovaries as I told my Dr that if they were okay I don't want them removed. Wanna hang on to the benefits of them. And I haven't had any problems from them being there. I never really had ovarian problems, I have had a cyst here and there and that's it. It is a choice you and you alone have to make regarding this. Nobody should do it for you. It's totallyl up to you . I have had lap surgeries and my TVH was no worse than those other than all of the stitches inside, which you are going to have no matter what route you take. I had no vaginal problems after my surgery. Not the pain you get from giving birth. I had a very easy time of itwith no problems.
Unread 04-27-2003, 01:47 PM

This is my experience. I was diagnosed and treated for endo at the age of 19 and had three kids after. When it was time for the hyst (a different dr. who is awesome) told me he wanted to avoid a lap because of the additional cutting it required. I had a TVH. No outside cuts and of course my choice of anesthesia. I got very sick with general and if I had another lap, I would not have had a choice of anesthesia.

Either way you go if you are not seeing eye to eye with your dr. and she isn't giving you a valid reason of why she prefers a TVH rather than a lap, it may be a good idea to find another dr. for another opinion. That dr. can also help you decide on the ovaries if your current dr. isn't clear on the issue.

You asked about no ovaries vs one. If you lose both ovaries you will go into menopause. If you keep one you can continue to get your own hormones from the one.

My dr clearly told me even when I told him I didn't want a lap that he didn't prefer that way because he wanted to avoid additional cutting. He was very informative and explained everything and what if's like ovaries, if they had to be removed. I also didn't experience pain in vaginal area like I did after childbirth.

I have read on here that there are more complications and the infection rate may be higher with laproscopic procedures so it's a good idea to have a dr. who is more experienced with that.
Here is a link about the difference between lap vs. abdominal. I know you mentioned TVH but it has some really good info about laps.
If I had a choice between lap or abdominal I would have wanted abdominal. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ht=laproscopic

Dawn wrote "He said that the instance of infections is MUCH higher with the LAVH and the procedure much more difficult to do because the DR does not a have a really good view of internals and so more has to be moved around. My DR won't even do a LAVH but he did want me to know the difference and give me a chance to go elsewhere if I wanted to. (which I would have never done) So weigh options with your DR and decide what is best for you."
Unread 04-27-2003, 07:09 PM

I got the same opinion as some of the other sisters. My doc said the lap was complicated and since he didn't know what was going on w/my insides he wanted to go abdominally. I'm glad he did. He was able to clean everything up and the incision wasn't a big deal. Of course you have to do what's best for you. I would always get at least a second opinion. (I went to 3 doctors just to be sure of my decision).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register