uh oh! "popped" a stitch...11 days post surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

uh oh! "popped" a stitch...11 days post surgery uh oh! "popped" a stitch...11 days post surgery

Unread 10-23-2009, 03:12 PM
uh oh! "popped" a stitch...11 days post surgery

Hi all,

My healing is going great and I am 11 days post-op. I have had zero discharge and zero bleeding since the surgery. However last night while taking a BM, I had some bright red bleeding right afterwards. I called my doctor's office immediately. It was a tablespoon or two's worth from what I can tell.

I realized that for the past few days I've forgotten to take my stool softener. The result was that I had become uncomfortably constipated by yesterday evening. Unfortunately against my better judgment I strained a bit while on the toilet. After a few minutes I realized that this was a BAD IDEA and gave up. When I went into the living room to resume a movie that I was watching with friends i felt what I thought was urine. Half an hour later I got up to go back to the bathroom and saw bright red blood. Yikes!

Though it seemed that I had stopped bleeding, I called my doctor immediately. Amazingly he was the on-call doctor last night and called me back about 45 minutes later (why on earth does it take them so long?)

He said that i most likely popped a stitch, but as long as the bleeding had stopped I should be ok, but just to keep and eye on it and to call if the bleeding resumed.

Anyone else have this problem? I am back to taking my stool softener. My doc mentioned using a mild laxative as well. Unfortunately I have only had bad experiences with laxatives. He said to try a senna based one first....First, I am waiting to see if things work themselves out today, so if not, I'll go the laxative route tomorrow.

Suggestions? I did have a small BM this morning, but know there is more to follow. I don't want to exacerbate the problem and am quite honestly a bit nervous about my bowels. Being on pain medication certainly helps with the pain, but i am also worried that it keeps me from feeling some amount of normal pain causing me to be over-confident in my daily activities. I don't believe my constipation is a direct result of my pain meds, but it certainly most likely isn't helping.

I have a short overnight trip tomorrow night up to Toronto and am going to Switzerland in a month for a wedding. Healing up well and being a good patient is my reward for taking care of myself. (doctor approved of course.) I am generally not very good at this being a classic type A personality who can't stand sitting still. I am def. playing it by ear and listening to my body, but I am quite afraid of getting an infection of any sorts from this seeming tear. Are the chances of this happening very high?

thanks,

Julie
!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Re: uh oh! "popped" a stitch...11 days post surgery

I kept taking stool softeners for about 4 weeks or so. I just didn't want to take any chances and they weren't causing me any problems. I had to use glycerin suppositories a few times at the 6-8 day point and then a few times throughout the next few weeks. It just seems to take a long time for the bowels to get back to normal function, so try to stay on top with whatever it is that helps the most. I wouldn't worry about the risk of infection. I think the biggest concern would be popping any more sutures.
Unread 10-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Re: uh oh! "popped" a stitch...11 days post surgery

aww sweetie I'm so sorry... I have had issues w/ BM's too. My first one was agony. I didn't pop a stitch (which is shocking) but it did cause a lot of pain and it hurts every time I go. I dread it... I'm just trying to eat right and doing some Benefiber... Hang in there it'll get better! (I'm telling myself this too! LOL!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register