Surgery tomorrow!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery tomorrow!!! Surgery tomorrow!!!

Unread 11-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Surgery tomorrow!!!

TAH scheduled for Nov 21 and it is now crunch time! Any advice for trying to relax the day before surgery? I am trying too hard to get "everything done" before my surgery and feel like I am just stressing myself out Not to mention the "mom guilt" for being at the castle over Thanksgiving!! This gal needs some advice!

Angela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Surgery tomorrow!!!

Hello, Angela. Best wishes to you on your upcoming surgery! This time right now is for you, so try not to feel guilty simply because you want to feel better! To relax, I found that focused thinking, what some call imaging, helped me a lot. I would sit myself down in a dark-ish place or lie on my bed, lights out and quiet all around me, and work to recall -- as if living in the moment again -- a childhood memory that always made me happy. For me, happiness was hearing water lapping against a dock, leaves on trees overhead just making that swishing sound, and warm sun (not hot, but warm sun) warming my body. I was a kid, and we had a cottage at a lake. These were my absolute happiest innocent times. If I can manage to bring back those days in my memory, I calm down a lot and realize that life is like this -- we have events that test us, making us stronger, and events that refresh us, and help us through the trying times.

Try to focus. The dirty dishes, vacuuming, laundry -- all this can wait. It's you who matters just now. Take yourself out for a walk, maybe, or go lie down and try some deep, slow breathing, and try to recall some childhood memory when you felt whole.

Warmest of good wishes to you on your surgery.
Unread 11-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Surgery tomorrow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1typist
TAH scheduled for Nov 21 and it is now crunch time! Any advice for trying to relax the day before surgery? I am trying too hard to get "everything done" before my surgery and feel like I am just stressing myself out Not to mention the "mom guilt" for being at the castle over Thanksgiving!! This gal needs some advice!

Angela
Take time for you today I know it sounds so hard to do but a nice relaxing bath with my favorite sented bath salts or bubbles and light some candles,listen to a favorite cdhelped me with the stress. I also was on a liquid diet which caused me to be cranky so I got happy with italian flavored ice. Remeber you will feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Surgery tomorrow!!!

Hi Angela,
As I took a break from 'trying to get everything done' to check in with the sisters, I saw your post. I too am scheduled for my surgery tomorrow and am driving myself crazy with the lists and the chores and so on. While I know blueheron2003 is right in saying all this can wait, we're what's important now, I just can't help myself. I must be truely neurotic. I'm sure it's just nervous energy, but I just KNOW I'll be able to relax once I get that bathroom floor mopped.....!
Wishing you the best tomorrow and a spotless house today. I'll try to relax if you will.....
Betty
Unread 11-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Surgery tomorrow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1025
Hi Angela,
As I took a break from 'trying to get everything done' to check in with the sisters, I saw your post. I too am scheduled for my surgery tomorrow and am driving myself crazy with the lists and the chores and so on. While I know blueheron2003 is right in saying all this can wait, we're what's important now, I just can't help myself. I must be truely neurotic. I'm sure it's just nervous energy, but I just KNOW I'll be able to relax once I get that bathroom floor mopped.....!
Wishing you the best tomorrow and a spotless house today. I'll try to relax if you will.....
Betty
Yes, Betty...that is exactly what my thoughts are! Thanks for reassuring me that I am not the only one feeling this nervous energy! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Angela
Unread 11-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Surgery tomorrow!!!

hi angela i am also going to the castle tomorrow but not having op till thur 22nd but got to stay in over nite before op so i will feel like its a long wait for me.... good luck for tomorrow i will be thinking about you everything will go fine i know what you mean with the mum guilt my kids are in there christma show over wekend and i wont be out of hosp till monday at the earliest but think about the pain free life we will have after the op good luck sweetie keep intouch xxx
Unread 11-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Surgery tomorrow!!!

In a way I envy you. My house has never been as clean as it was the day before my surgery.

Seriously, I suggest a nice warm bath because you won't be able to have one for a few weeks.

And tomorrow things will go by really fast and everyone int he hospital will be looking out for you.

Best wishes and good luck!

Unread 11-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Surgery tomorrow!!!

Best of luck to you with your upcoming surgery. I hope you have a easy and speedy recovery!!
Unread 11-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Surgery tomorrow!!!

OH no I missed my best wishes, and warm bath wishes too!! Keep us updated, how did it go? how you feeling? Happy Thanksgiving..
Unread 11-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Surgery tomorrow!!!

Best of luck to you - just had my surgery on Friday...things are going well. I had 36 hours to prepare for my TVH versus the scope I thought I was going to have. In looking back - still glad I shampooed all of the carpets and scrubbed the floors - just remember being scared to go to bed because once I stopped I would be stopped for 6 weeks...the one thing I forgot...be sure to have someone go to the grocery store for you while you are in the hospital for simple foods that you can eat when you get home - especially fresh fruits, soda crackers and simple snacks...the one thing I forgot...

Take care and God Bless

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register