Has anyone else also had an anterior and posterior repair? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone else also had an anterior and posterior repair? Has anyone else also had an anterior and posterior repair?

Unread 12-28-2013, 11:58 PM
Has anyone else also had an anterior and posterior repair?

First off I'd like to say what a Godsend this site has been, both pre and post-op. From other posts I gather a lot of pain even 2 weeks post-op isn't that unusual, but I wondered how many other ladies who may have had a posterior and anterior repair were doing? I find sitting for more than 5 or 10 minutes just too uncomfortable and wondered if that's normal? Also the pain is worse now than a week ago when they removed the Foley catheter, but I've since developed a bladder infection and I'm back on antibiotics. Taking more pain meds as well, so back to no BM's. Could this new pain be related to the bowel problems and bladder infection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2013, 07:01 AM
Re: Has anyone else also had an anterior and posterior repair?

I had both anterior and posterior repairs. Other than perineal stitches burning a bit (and I blow dry the area to help with this), I am not having pain issues. I know we all heal differently, and I am a bit of a surgery pro with a high tolerance, but I believe if you are having increased pain you should see your physician/surgeon.

I do know the pain "down there" was much worse when I was backed up. You mentioned no BM's due to pain meds. Has it been 3 days? If you have no BM for 3 days, you should call your doctor as well.

Praying for reduced pain and a speedy recovery. Feel better, Sunshine.
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staycib View Post
I had both anterior and posterior repairs. Other than perineal stitches burning a bit (and I blow dry the area to help with this), I am not having pain issues. I know we all heal differently, and I am a bit of a surgery pro with a high tolerance, but I believe if you are having increased pain you should see your physician/surgeon.

I do know the pain "down there" was much worse when I was backed up. You mentioned no BM's due to pain meds. Has it been 3 days? If you have no BM for 3 days, you should call your doctor as well.

Praying for reduced pain and a speedy recovery. Feel better, Sunshine.
Thanks for the kind words. Just knowing I have someone to talk to makes me feel better. I'm pretty sure all this gas and BM's only every 3 to 4 days isn't helping, but my doc is away until the 6th, so no help there. I've tried everything; stool softeners, bran, prune juice, tons of water, and slippery elm, but can't get regular. I'm sure the antibiotics aren't helping, and trying an enema is looking more and more attractive, but I'm afraid to do that without the docs permission. I'm worried if the enema makes me go with too much force I'll pop stitches in the vaginal repairs. Anyone have a sure fire way to GO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2013, 11:36 AM
Re: Has anyone else also had an antllerior and posterior repair?

Magnesium oxide. Take 600 to 800 mg and you will go tomorrow. I take 800 to move things on.
Uh
Unread 12-30-2013, 12:37 PM

Magnesium does work.....also taking colace to keep things loose. Bowels are important to keep moving!
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessdebula View Post
Thanks for the kind words. Just knowing I have someone to talk to makes me feel better. I'm pretty sure all this gas and BM's only every 3 to 4 days isn't helping, but my doc is away until the 6th, so no help there. I've tried everything; stool softeners, bran, prune juice, tons of water, and slippery elm, but can't get regular. I'm sure the antibiotics aren't helping, and trying an enema is looking more and more attractive, but I'm afraid to do that without the docs permission. I'm worried if the enema makes me go with too much force I'll pop stitches in the vaginal repairs. Anyone have a sure fire way to GO?
I also had anterior/posterior repairs..Be very careful not to lift anything heavy. I too had the constipation issues..My doc told me NO enemas!! As for the constipation...I would end up taking a laxative and it worked but it wasn't worth the pain it caused..I find that milk of magnesia worked really well..and was super gentle...also a natural laxative that works for me also is celery juice...sounds weird but it works for me...I have a juicer and drink at least a half cup a day with carrot juice. sometimes it worked within an hour. .I also had a lot of pain sitting for any period of time and that lasted for weeks and weeks..Laying down was the best..I'm wondering if you had any bladder issues/pain with the prolapses? Mine started before the surgery... (about a week before the prolapse) and is still there...pain from hysto gone but bladder pain very bad..am on meds for overactive bladder. Docs can't tell me why I am having it still....Hang in there. There's lots of support here for any problems or questions you have and I've found it a godsend. Take care and keep us posted. xx
Unread 12-31-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoLo320 View Post
I also had anterior/posterior repairs..Be very careful not to lift anything heavy. I too had the constipation issues..My doc told me NO enemas!! As for the constipation...I would end up taking a laxative and it worked but it wasn't worth the pain it caused..I find that milk of magnesia worked really well..and was super gentle...also a natural laxative that works for me also is celery juice...sounds weird but it works for me...I have a juicer and drink at least a half cup a day with carrot juice. sometimes it worked within an hour. .I also had a lot of pain sitting for any period of time and that lasted for weeks and weeks..Laying down was the best..I'm wondering if you had any bladder issues/pain with the prolapses? Mine started before the surgery... (about a week before the prolapse) and is still there...pain from hysto gone but bladder pain very bad..am on meds for overactive bladder. Docs can't tell me why I am having it still....Hang in there. There's lots of support here for any problems or questions you have and I've found it a godsend. Take care and keep us posted. xx
Thanks for all the great tips girls. Hubby rushed right out for some milk of magnesia and the doc on call suggested going back on the colace for 2 weeks. Had my first BM in 4 days this morning and feeling soooooo much better. No, didn't have any bladder pain until the catheter went in, but I'm really hoping this is just irritation from that since it hurt to pee for 2 days after my initial exam and they only had the catheter in for 10 minutes. I can only imagine how irritated it must be after a week! The doc on call suggested extra strength Advil for any inflammation and it seems to be helping a bit. I plan to give that celery juice a try also since I'm always game to discover natural ways to deal with these issues. Boy, I just never realized how important it is to be able to go until now. I finally get why this was such a popular topic with my grandparents, lol.
Unread 12-31-2013, 09:38 AM

Be patient with those areas and healing. I had anterior and posterior repairs as well. It was quite uncomfortable for me to sit in a chair for quite some time. My repairs were quite "extensive" according to my Dr.
Sitz baths worked well for me for irritation and cleanliness (I asked my Dr first) I ate Activia with Fiber twice daily, plus Colace daily to keep myself regular. I wasn't a regular before surgery either, so it was quite a challenge for me afterwards. Orange juice also seemed to be a natural laxative for me.
These repairs do take time to heal. Even after the outside stitches are healed there is still times when I am sensitive.

I am 6 months PostOp today and I do have an occasional 'ouchy' moment when I need to pee really badly (I have a urethral sling as well) but from the way things were before, I'll take these issues any day.

Good Luck on the healing and take it slow. As time goes on you won't notice any issues anymore and things will be wonderful :-)
Unread 01-02-2014, 12:38 PM

Princessdeb....so glad you found some relief!! Hopefully you get a chance to try the celery juice...I mix with carrot because it sweetens it up (you can also add apple). Not to sound like a health food nut but I've done some research and carrots are supposed to balance the bladders ph level making it less acidic. . .Also, here's a link on one of many articles about the benefits of celery: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=14 ....I do hope you feel better each day...the hysterectomy is a lot in itself to recover from...but to add in the other repairs added an even greater burden and to deal with.

Kibletstripes...thanks for chiming in 6 months after your surgery..It really helps to give me hope...There are days when I feel my bladder pain and pressure will never go away. . .I don't know if I mentioned but urologist just did a ct scan to make sure there wasn't something structural going on, kidney stone, etc. and it came back normal...so that was good but it makes me wonder why so much nerve pain going on...did you have this as well before or after your surgery?
Unread 01-02-2014, 01:57 PM

I do have some pains on occassion still. Mainly first thing in the morning when I wake up or if I've "forgotten" to pee for a while. I have some scarring from other issues that seem to effect my urge to pee sometimes. It's not that bad and feels like more of a pull, but there is a slight pain involved. Nothing that isn't manageable and it doesn't happen all the time.

I still try not to lift things that are too heavy, just to play it safe.

Either way, things are much better now than before surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register