I'm packing... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm packing... I'm packing...

Unread 02-16-2004, 12:00 PM
I'm packing...

I am getting ready, 2 days early, but I want to be prepared. I have even packed some cup-o-soups just in case I can't sleep in hospital and have a hankerin' for something light to eat. I've got some candies, a couple of cereal bars, hand lotion, little shampoo and conditioner, huge granny panties, lots of warm socks, slippers, robe, flannel nightie....I LOVE my floor length flannel nightie. toothpaste & brush, hair brush and my own face cloth. I have big comfy clothes to come home in, I think I'm pretty much set...all but the kitchen sink! I am actually really excited now! I look like I am about 6 months pregnant and the pain last night was so bad I kept waking up out of a sound sleep! I am so ready for this to be done with, and I tell ya, this site and everyone here have helped get over my fears and reservations and I do love you all so much for that!!!!! I will peek in every once in awhile between now and Wednesday morning. BTW...If I have forgotten to pack anything, let me know okay. I will be in for 4 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2004, 12:06 PM
I'm packing...

Hi vll69

What I used most during my stay was chapstick...yikes were my lips dry.

You might also think about some panty liners for the trip home. Other than that, you sound prepared!!

Sending you a big !!!

Blessings,
Unread 02-16-2004, 03:32 PM
I'm packing...

Okay, I got my chap stick so I guess that's it. Gotta get my flannel from the dryer and I'll be good to go. I am on a liquid diet tomorrow, but I'm having my chicken, feta and onion pizza tonight. DH already ordered it. Oh gosh though, I do feel like I am forgetting something, am I????? I am going to have a game night with DH and the kids tonight. All my help for the few weeks is arranged, hopefully no one will bail on me at the last minute, I'm worried about that. But all in all I guess I'm excited, nervous and scared, but excited none the less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2004, 04:07 PM
I'm packing...

Stress less Princess

Whatever you've forgotten (if at all) your family can bring it in to you, my op. in May is in cooler months thank goodness, I lurv flannelette jammies and am grateful that I'm going to be able to rug up - as we had a weekend of 40+ celsius with showers predicted next weekend yay!!! I'm also grateful that you told us what you're taking as we can all pinch your ideas!!

ENJOY you pizza and good luck and best wishes from down under Leddles
Unread 02-16-2004, 05:37 PM
I'm packing...

Sweetie-make sure that who ever brings you home has a small pillow for you to put on your tummy so when you put your seat belt on, you are protected. Make sure your slippers are easy to take on and off because you won't be able to bend to mess with them. LOL! Also--buy a digital thermometer for when you get home to take your temp. This way you can make sure you don't get an infection.

For at home, load up on magazines, books and videos too. Your vision may be a little strange after surgery. I know mine was and I could not read the paper---but give it time and it will adjust back to normal. Have a comfy place in front of the t.v. ready for you because once you are home, you don't want to spend all your time in bed. Check out your bed and make sure you have plenty of pillows there too to keep you comfy. And make sure your bed will be easy to get in and out of. You will be sleeping on your back for a while. Those extra pillows will help to put under your knees/arms. Make sure you get pampered when you get home. Someone to cook or bring you your meals and someone to do your laundry and cleaning for you. Have a phone near ya because you will not want to have to get out of your comfy bed/chair to answer it.

Get some foods that are easy on your digestive system too. You won't want to eat anything too spicy or hard on your G.I. tract for awhile. Yogurt, crackers, soups, hot cereals, canned fruit, pudding, jello-things like that will be good for you.

Take care of yourself and please let us know how you are doing! God bless!
Unread 02-16-2004, 05:55 PM
TAH BOS birch and anterior repair

I finally scheduled my surgery fro March 2nd. Has anyone had this ssurgery done. I am scared. I have a fallen bladder that needs repair, but in order to fix it correctly he has to take my uterus and overies out. Doesn't seem fair that women ahve to go through this. My husband is a old-fashioned man when it comes to housework.
He has a business beside a regular full-time job, so he is in the shop most of the time. My family dosn't seem to concerned with my sugery and hasn't offered any help. Ia m afraid I won't have any body. My co-workers have offered to help,but they have a job and their families. My husband is a big baby. I have had the vacuum cleaner in the living room for 10 days now and he is fianlly vacuuming, but fusssing becasue he doesn;t know what the is doing,first he can't find the vaccum cleaner bags, then he get a string caught and yells how to you get this thing out. He is so dumb. Sohelpless. Now he says this is a sob. Wah wah wah.
Unread 02-16-2004, 06:11 PM
packing?

I wasn't planning on taking anything more than a robe and perhaps slippers. I think teh hopsital actually supplies those non skid slipper socky things...I'm suppose to only be in for 2 days with TAH.. I guess chap stick would be and OK idea, but I'm sure they give you water and glycerine swabs should you need to wet your whistle.I can't imagine bringing in food to eat let alone small microwavable cup of soups. I'll be hapopy if I can walk, pee and poop. afterwards. Wish you all the best . Let us know what you really needed at the hospital so I ( we ) can avoid packing unnecessary stuff.
Unread 02-16-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm packing...

Hi Vll69,

Just a quick comment on your post....I know you said that you love your floor length nightie, and it might be fine.....but.....I would have found it really hard to manuever in and out of the castle bed with all that nightie wrapped around my legs. Because, unfortunately, it would have porbably ended up around my waist!

When I had my surgery last November, I had read several posts from sisters recommending a short (knee length) nightie for the hospital (and then keep your comfie ones for home). It worked really well for me. I was in and out of bed a lot, trying to walk as much as I could, so independence was important to me.

Best wishes!

Cheri
Unread 02-16-2004, 07:05 PM
I'm packing...

ditto on the floor length nightie, you will get wrapped up in it. A word of caution on granny panties - they are big everywhere not just the tummy, big in the crotch and butt. Spend the extra money and buy maternity undies you will be so happy that you did.
Unread 02-16-2004, 07:30 PM
I'm packing...

I really don't what I'd do without you guys! I will heed your advice and bring my summer knee length nightie and maternity panties. I have them packed in a box somewhere...my chore for tomorrow is to dig them out. I will use my daughter's camping pillow for the drive home..it is small. You guys are all so great!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register