Headed into recovery week 6-be encouraged! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Headed into recovery week 6-be encouraged! Headed into recovery week 6-be encouraged!

Unread 01-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Headed into recovery week 6-be encouraged!

My message is a word of encouragement to my sisters out there!

My history is 11+ years of significantly heavy periods. It was so bad I would count down the days to each cycle and wonder how bad it would be "this time". I considered wearing Depends undergarments. On the "bad" day I truly could not move I would bleed so heavily.

I am otherwise a very healthy individual, a "gym rat" & nutrition enthusiast. It was truly disheartening I could not get this situation under control.

Therapeutically, I had two D & Cs, a uterine ablation, BC pills, you name it. It took two years before I was ready to "let go" of my reproductive organs.

I planned my surgical menopause and worked out diligently prior to surgery. Actually drank a gallon of water the day before surgery to help with recovery (this is not new for me-yet it was intentional).

Surgery was lap total with pull through. It sure hurt & felt like I couldn't get on top of the pain the first 24 hours. However, I was amazed at how well I felt compared to my c-section recovery.

Anyway, "swelly belly" was my greatest frustration-looking at the big picture that's truly a minor surgical outcome. I was up & around in no time. On the treadmill at 1 week (very slowly). Back at yoga within 2 weeks (taking it very easy). Pilates at 3 weeks and with doc's approval, cycle (spin) and step at 4 weeks.

I caught myself at 3 weeks starting to worry about my cycle starting and wondering how bad it would be. Then I remembered it won't happen! Don't worry!

In short, looking back, I am amazed at the realization of the mental and physical toll the health condition caused. I also know why I avoided it for so long. However, I waited til I was prepared for the transformation (obviously too long). I am fortunate to have a highly regarded GYN (and very kind as well) and a truly supportive husband. We all (women) know the toll female problems can have on a husband/wife relationship and I'm amazed my husband endured it all. He even laughs at my comments of "how's it feel to be married to a little old lady now?" (I'm early 40's).

Bottom line, guess I'm a bit stubborn and was definitely fearful, yet at 6 weeks post op I feel better than I've felt in a long time. My poor system was working overtime to compensate for the monthly loss and life's crazy stressors.

I'm grateful we who have dealt with this type of situation have the opportunity to have it corrected and can return to a better quality of life. My heart goes out to those women who for one reason or another can not or do not receive the opportunity to heal from this condition.

May we each cherish the gift of health care, health and life itself. Kudos to those who have chosen this type of medical profession. We appreciate you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register