Odd question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Odd question

Hi All,

I have a question I haven't seen on the board. I had a TAH/BSO six weeks ago and I'm happy to say all is going well - except for the depression, night sweats, etc.

My question is now that I have no uterus, tubes or ovaries, do I still see a gynecologist on a regular/yearly basis? I know I will likely see him for a few more follow-ups, but what about the future?

Thanks,
Gail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Odd question

Yup. you still have to see your Gyn. he/she may determine if they want to see you yearly, or every 2 years. I asked that question before I had my surgery..lol.
Hugz
Bernadette
Unread 08-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Odd question

I had a TVH/BSO (no uterus, tubes or ovaries left) and my gynecologist still wants me to come in for an annual exam. In fact, I had my hyst on June 7th and ironically have my annual exam next week. I certainly don't mind going.....best to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Odd question

I had a TAH-BSO on 7/18. My doctor told me the day after my surgery that she still wants me to have pap smears every year.
Unread 08-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Odd question

My dr wants to see me annually for a pap smear (of the vagina) still. I had no idea this was still needed - thought I was free (except for mammograms annually).

My dr also requires his patients on HRT to check in annually too (he only writes prescripts for one year), so you can be re-evaluated to wean you off the hormones.

Shoozie
Unread 08-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Odd question

My Dr. says every three years!!!! But she has me on HRT and that is only good for 6 months.... and also Lexipro.. so I guess I will see her before then! lol
Unread 08-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Odd question

You didn't mention if you kept your cervix. If so, you'll probably still need an annual Pap smear.
Unread 08-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Odd question

Actually.. you will need a PAP still, whether you have your cervix or not.
My cervix was taken out with the LAVH, but my dr still recommends an annual PAP on the vaginal vault cells.
(I think some drs may recommend every other year, or every 3 yrs..but I've had an abnormal PAP on the cervix 10 yrs ago, so perhaps that's why my dr wants the PAP on the vaginal vault every year.)

Shoozie
Unread 08-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Odd question

HI Gail!

Your doctor will tell you what is appropriate for you, based on your age, medical history, family medical history, reason for your surgery and other factors. The next time you see your gyn, please ask this question!

My family physician told me that an annual pelvic exam was not necessary for me. He said that if I had been diagnosed with cancer, it would be different.

Best wishes for continued good health!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register