HELP !... Confict of advice between GYN and Acupuncturist | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP !... Confict of advice between GYN and Acupuncturist HELP !... Confict of advice between GYN and Acupuncturist

Unread 11-20-2004, 06:25 PM
HELP !... Confict of advice between GYN and Acupuncturist

I am 54... not in menopause and no symptoms of it at all.
My strong sense it that i wouldn't go into it for at least another year or so.

Have a fibroid inside my uterus ( filling it to the rim -- 5.5 cm) and one in the lining 4.5 cm.

I had bad bleeding, until the progesterone only b/c pills stopped it almost completely.

What I DO have is:
-- constant drained feeling
-- pain: dull to sharp where the rt. fibroid is, almost always.
-- SUDDEN, un-predicatable flow of blood ( usually followed by very bad cramps for a few hours). The blood is FRESH!.. it is very warm and bright red, and as thin as water.. and it usually consistently happens, whenever i am in the middle of a stressful conversation with a person whom i feel is toxic. I am VERY sensitive to this kind of "energy" from people, and it almost always causes me to bleed like this.

My CONFLICT is:

The acupuncturist says it's due to my weak "chi" and constitution ( spleen, liver, etc). AND.. that it is a NORMAL symptom of PERIMENOPAUSE...and told me to read "what your gyn doesn't tell you about a hysterectomy"..

My GYN thinks it's the fibroid rubbing against the uterine lining, causing it to bleed.
--or the thinning effects on the lining, caused by the micronor.

So tell me, (because i have to let the GYN's office know on monday about having a hysterectomy !!! -a LSH).. :

IS THIS KIND of bleeding due to normal perimenopause or the FIBROIDS?

thank you!

~ Karin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2004, 06:41 PM

Karin, that is not normal bleeding for perimenopause. I had some of that kind of bleeding...once right after sex and it scared me to death. It was a copious amount and bright red. Sudden bleeding like that is not normal. It can be a symptom of fibroids. For me, it was definitely from the multiple fibroids I had. The decision of whether to have a hyst or not has to come from you, since you are the one who has to live with the decision. You must consider the quality of life and whether you want to deal with these bleeding episodes.
Unread 11-20-2004, 07:13 PM

Hi Karen!

I had my hyst prior to experiencing natural menopause, or even perimenopause. The only knowledge I can share is the many conversations I have had of late with my female peers who are in natural menopause. From what I have been told, the periods experienced in the beginning of a healthy transition are not markedly different than what is "normal" for a particular woman, except that they are irregular in terms of timing and total output. My friends tell me that, for example, rather than lasting the typical length of time for them, the periods are shorter. Or, the spacing is irregular. The flow is lighter, or heavier. Something just seems "off." The drained feeling and pain you described hasn't been a factor in what my "naturally menopausal" friends have described to me.

I hope that, whatever you decide to do, you find yourself on the road to good health!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2004, 07:19 PM
For Monet... thank you !

And.. it doesn't "seem" like period blood.. i mean, it's
BRIGHT red and feels very "fresh"... like bright red water/blood..and even feels very warm.

Period blood was darker and had more "thickness" in it and did not feel so hot.

The blood amount is only about a Tablespoon.
I just went into the kitchen and filled a Tbs w/ water and yep, that's about how much it is.. 2 at the very most.

Then it stops. That's all it is/was....

But this has happened now for the last 2 weeks.

I am so happy you told me it is not perimenopause bleeding.
Thank you !!!

It is odd that it consistently happens when I have "tense" moment. Do you think the tenseness I create in my body, which must happen on a very "parasympathetic" level.. ie. un-conscious.. irritates the fibroid somehow?

Again, thank you..

~ Karin
Unread 11-21-2004, 02:16 AM

A couple of months ago there was a thread here about fibroid leakage.

It is watery, sometimes bloodstained and comes with cramps. IMHO I think this is what you are experiencing.

The ladies who spoke of this said that it happened after their usual period, but could happen at any time, and that it was most distressing when it caught them unawares.

I do not believe this has anything to do with a pre-menopause, I would advise you to ask if you can speak to the your Dr on Monday and explaine this problem to him/her.

As I said this is only my opinion, but truely belive it is a fibroid problem.
Unread 11-21-2004, 03:53 AM

If you are not having life threatening problems do not let anyone push you into having surgery before you are completely sure it is the right path for you.

Why not get a second opinion or even a third from another gyn?

You may have the choice of having the fibroid only removed rather than the whole uterus.

Please don't feel pressured to make a decision in 2 weeks if your problems are not life threatening.
Unread 11-21-2004, 04:13 AM

I went through a natural peri - and full - menopause 12 years ago and my irregular bleeding was, like a previous poster described, like periods but longer, shorter, heavier etc. Certainly not like you describe now.

I'm sorry, but I support your gynae's view rather than the acupuncturist's.
Unread 11-21-2004, 05:13 AM
I might be biased but....

being a nurse, I would side with your gyn. they go through years and years of extensive training for this very thing. sorry, but I dont buy what the acup. is telling you. I have nothing personal against them, but dont really believe in them. this is JUST my personal opinion. People who are in the medical prof. seem to be more technical and to the point. If there is a problem, treat it. if it is life threatning you need to do something NOW. I would put my faith in the hands of the medical prof. first. Best of luck, and I know you will make the right decision for you. carol
Unread 11-21-2004, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CAS29
If you are not having life threatening problems do not let anyone push you into having surgery before you are completely sure it is the right path for you.
Why not get a second opinion or even a third from another gyn?
You may have the choice of having the fibroid only removed rather than the whole uterus.
Please don't feel pressured to make a decision in 2 weeks if your problems are not life threatening.
Karin - I have to agree completely with Cheryl (quote above).
I'm 54 and was without perimenopausal symptoms. I had the kind of bleeding - the bright watery stuff, more or less of it everyday, but every day. That is, in between bouts of life threatening bleeding and clots. I had one large fibroid, located in the spot that causes the most bleeding, and 4 other smaller ones. I had tried everything else, drug therapy, d & c, and nothing worked (since 2001 - it just got worse all the time). I had absolutely no choice whatsoever. If you want, you could read my earlier posts, click on 'profile'.
Knowing what I know now about a TAH, it's definitely no walk in the park, but I feel incredible now, my life is coming back. If it's necessary, do it! Maybe a UFE would work for you? Getting other opinions would be a good idea for anyone.
Meantime, sounds like your anemia might be helped by taking an iron supplement - ask your doc!

joano
Unread 11-21-2004, 06:12 AM

Some of what you describe is very similar to some of my changes in bleeding this year - bright red & thin - nothing like my usual, which I also have an abundance of, despite ablation sev'l yrs ago. The pain that accompanies this time is not regular cramps.

The thin bright variety has become VERY common over the last year+ & on sev'l occasions became very heavy - 1 had me scared enough to be on the verge of a trip to hosp, but finally subsided on its own.

I questioned the "timing" factor as well - as there has been a lot of stress in my life - but could find no real pattern. It can just go & go sometimes even during the most happy, relaxing times.

A friend recommended a book that correlates many gyn problems to life-events, but I cannot remember the title - sorry. I'm sure someone here will have read it & maybe can suggest????

My gyn was more relaxed each time we discussed the changes & differences in types of bleeding - he said it is from the fibroid, and has been very supportive & patient w/my long desicion-making process. It has reachedthe point tho, where even he is less comfortable w/the wait&watch - & said he would continue to do so, but I will require frequent uterine biopsys if I do. I did not get the sense of 'pressure to surgery' from him, just stepping up precautions.
My family dr had a more concerns re the change in type of bleeding, and stressed that changes like this need to be monitored very closely.

I would suggest at least 1 more opinion & taking your time to research & feel comfortable w/your decision - unless, as the point was made, that your situation could be life-threatening.

It has been such a difficult decison for me - I am so grateful for have taken my time, despite the truckload of pads etc I've gone thru! After 2morrow, there's no turning back for me, but I know I've run the list of options already, and am ready. (well... except for at about 2am last night when I weired out again)

Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register