5 months post op-ovarian cyst found-what do I do now??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 months post op-ovarian cyst found-what do I do now??? 5 months post op-ovarian cyst found-what do I do now???

Unread 07-07-2010, 08:39 PM
5 months post op-ovarian cyst found-what do I do now???

Had my hysterectomy on 2-1 because of prolapse. Around April, was having an ache in my left side of abdomin. Went back to doctor. He said it was a stitch trying to heal. As time has gone on, pain has not went away. A dull ache in my left side of abdomin radiates to my back and into the front of my thigh. Sometimes the pain is sharp/stabbing. Does not put me out, but enough that is makes me sit down for awhile.
The pain as become more frequent and stronger.

Went to my doctor today - did ultrasound - and found an ovarian cyst on my left ovary. 2 1/2 cm and filled with blood.
I was very shocked. Never had cysts in my life. Never was on birth control pills. Had a hysterectomy and now wants me to go on birth control pills I guess to give my ovaries a rest.

Has ANYONE ever experienced this. Is birth control pills common practice to treat this kind of cyst. The pill scares me at my age (53). Could this cyst be cancerous at all. Doctor says no. Just don't know what to do. Should I wait it out - will it go away in time. Have had pain for almost 2 months. If it bursts, will that make me sick. My doctor is wonderful and trust him, but he came in and left so quickly and I didn't every get to think about my questions. What should I do. Do I have him be more aggessive and go in and remove cyst of do I try the pills?

Please any advice, please. Anyone ever had this happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Re: 5 months post op-ovarian cyst found-what do I do now???

Sorry to hear about this. I would sit down and write down all of your questions and concerns. Then I would call and ask to speak to the doctor or have him call you back. Even if they want you to come back in for an appointment to talk to the doctor at least you will have all of your questions answered. If you are not comfortable with taking bc pills I would discuss that too. I have something similar to you going on with me. I had my hysterectomy in April and now have an abnormal appearing ovary on ultrasound that they are watching. I am due to have another sono in mid August. Good luck and I hope you get the answers you are looking for.
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrib43 View Post
Sorry to hear about this. I would sit down and write down all of your questions and concerns. Then I would call and ask to speak to the doctor or have him call you back. Even if they want you to come back in for an appointment to talk to the doctor at least you will have all of your questions answered. If you are not comfortable with taking bc pills I would discuss that too. I have something similar to you going on with me. I had my hysterectomy in April and now have an abnormal appearing ovary on ultrasound that they are watching. I am due to have another sono in mid August. Good luck and I hope you get the answers you are looking for.
Thank you for your advice. I will write all my questions down. I am going to call the nurse. If she cannot answer my questions, I will talk to my doctor. Just needed some time by him to let me process what they found and not rush out. To them it is everyday thing. To us and our bodies, it is a big deal. I think he knows that, but just wish he would be been alittle more patient with me. THanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2010, 09:09 PM

I had my cervix and uterous takin out in 2006 at the age of 37 now I have a large right ovary, ultrasound shows it to be 5cm x 5cm x 6cm
Well my new doctor (not the one that did my hysterectomy since she moved 3 hours north) Wanted to Put me On birth control pills to try to "shrink" the cyst down..Not a fan of that.. I said ahhhh ok :-/ took the pills and when I got home called my old doctor and she said that they just released info in the ACOG newsletter (some OBGYN site/magazine) that since I no longer have my uterous and cervix that Birth control pills will not help, so she said to wait 3 months and see if its still growing. So now I have to tell my Doctor what she said, I hope she respects her opinion still as shes the one that replaced her :-/

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register