Recooperating away from home. Anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recooperating away from home. Anyone? Recooperating away from home. Anyone?

Unread 01-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Recooperating away from home. Anyone?

I wanted to post this on post op but am not allowed. Not sure if anyone will have any advice here on pre-op but here goes....

I'm going to stay at my mom's house for 2 weeks post op. (My husband will be off for those 2 weeks while I'm gone manning the family. He will also be here for 1 more week when I get home but then that's it - I'll be on my own starting week 4.)

Any tips for what to bring? My biggest concern is what food should I buy and bring there ahead of time? My biggest concern is going to be constipation so I want to keep things moving smoothly and the other is low fat. What to eat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Re: Recooperating away from home. Anyone?

Once I felt like eating, which was just a day or so after surgery, I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted. Alot of my friends and people from my church brought me and my family food for about the first week.
If you are not going to have some one to cook for you, I would get things you could heat up in the microwave. You are not going to feel like cooking for at least a few weeks. I also read on here before my surgery where alot of women were making casseroles and things ahead of time that they could freeze and someone else could take out of the freezer and bake. Hope this helps.
Unread 01-31-2011, 04:19 PM

I wasn't that hungry in the beginning but I ate whatever my DH gave me. I tried to eat good stuff like fiber rich food and fruit. His whole wheat bread grilled cheese sandwiches were the best! Drinking water and cranberry juice was important. Still do 4 weeks later. By the way 4 weeks has been my big turn around week in getting out and having the desire to do things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2011, 12:18 AM

Are there straws (the bendy kind) at the house? Small cans or bottles of juice are more pricey, but if you keep a few by your bed, less for Mom to do. Prune juice. Prunes or other dried fruit. Yogurt. Books, magazines,
a notebook for your medicine log etc. Grab a basket or container to keep on the bed : for remote control, pills, lip balm, lifesavers or other nibbles and that juice and the notebook. So you don't have to keep calling Mom to help you find the remote etc. plenty of nightgowns, comfy sweaters. I also very strongly suggest a walking stick. It is a help to put a chair by the bed to help leverage yourself up and down. You can use the stick too, and it
goes with you around the house, to sit a bit in the kitchen or such, in the bathroom and you won't have to physically lean on Mom so much. It is nice that she will be taking care of you. (will she spoil you?)
Unread 02-01-2011, 05:13 AM

I pretty much tried to eat non gassy foods at first. I was into comfort food the first week. I liked home made chicken noodle soup and things on that order. I also ate prunes and stool softeners. When I ate it was small portions because it put pressure on my stomach area if I ate more. I drank tons of water. I had a drink by the bed even at night. The more you drink the better. It will help flush your system out.
I had a lot of pillows. It hurt to lay on my side for about a week. So I had pillows propping me up and making me comfortable.
Depending on the type of surgery I had low waist sweats that would not touch my incisions. It took 3 weeks before I could stand anything touching my stomach.
Slip on shoes or slippers. I couldn't bend over very well. So they are a life saver. Long and baggy shirts if you have to go out some where. It never failed that if I had to wear something other than my sweats I needed to undo my pants. The long and baggy shirt would hide that fact. = )
Unread 02-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Lots of juice and soups with broth. I bought Colase after I got home from the hospital. I till take about 1 a week for constipation. Other than that whatever foods you like and definitely some comfort foods.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register