Upcoming hysterectomy 5/4: Pre-op Today- anyone else have iron infusions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 5/4: Pre-op Today- anyone else have iron infusions? Upcoming hysterectomy 5/4: Pre-op Today- anyone else have iron infusions?

Unread 04-27-2016, 05:49 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 5/4: Pre-op Today- anyone else have iron infusions?

Had my pre op appointment today was supposed to be at 2:30, but my poor doc was running behind. He is always so busy! Anyway, just when I hear him out in the hallway the tornado sirens go off, and the nurses are ushering everyone into the radiation vault. (side note I feel for the lady who was in some stage of undress at the time) We were in there for roughly 30-40 minutes. By the time we get back to the room, its now a quarter after 4! By 4:30 I'm finally seeing my doc lol! It was an interesting afternoon to say the least. I am cleared for surgery by a cardiologist, we tested my hemoglobin today in case I need an iron infusion before surgery. The rest of my blood work is Monday. It's getting real folks...really, really real!

Side note, anyone ever had iron infusions? Just curious how long they take, as I will have to work it into my work schedule before next Wednesday if it is needed!

I'm ready for Wednesday, but I'm getting nervous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2016, 06:37 PM
Re: Pre-op Today

What a wild day you have had! I live in the northeast but travel to the mid-west often and have had to participate in tornado drills (and live exercises). Bravo to you and your doctor for hanging in there to get your pre-op completed. After a tornado warning, everything else seems so minor! YOU GOT THIS! I know this surgery will improve your overall health and well-being and sending you for the coming days.
Unread 04-27-2016, 07:00 PM
Re: Pre-op Today

My pre-op (yesterday, surgery tomorrow) definitely made it a lot more real for me! I have had a couple of previous surgeries, but never more than two days or so warning and am finding myself much more nervous than before. But it sounds like your pre-op was way more exciting than mine!

I got an iron treatment of some sort with one of my surgeries, but I really can't remember anything about it. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Re: Pre-op Today- anyone else have iron infusions?

Good luck to you tomorrow
Unread 04-28-2016, 10:40 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 5/4: Pre-op Today- anyone else have iron infusions?

Hi Shana! I'm also scheduled for surgery on the 4th, so I'll be praying for both of us, and our care staff!

I have had multiple iron infusions, I am given an iron product called Venofer, and my dosage for each appt is 100 MLK (I think, it is 100 something).
So, for you first time, they will start an IV, run a few minutes of clear fluid, and then probably some benadryl, to help with any reaction. They will start your iron really slowly, watching you for about 15 minutes, just to make sure there are no reactions. Once all is going well, they will increase the rate of the infusion. For my first time, I think it took 3-4 hours.
Now it all depends on your medical teams practices, and the type of iron they use. This was just how my first time was. I have had multiple infusions now, and I am done in just under 2 hours.

They will be very diligent on watching for any reaction, and that is a good thing, that being said, I have never had a reaction, everything has always been fine. If you are low, this will certainly help, even with recovery from the surgery! Please let me know if you have any other questions! Hugs! Barb
Unread 04-28-2016, 03:44 PM

Emergency iron infusion today at noon, just got home! That wasn't painful but it was fun on my sore back laying on my back that long
Unread 04-28-2016, 07:42 PM

Hi Shana and Barb!

I too am scheduled for May 4 and I am scared silly. Praying of all of us!

Tammy in Oklahoma
Unread 04-29-2016, 07:49 AM

Oh Disney, I was scared silly until I got this emergent call yesterday, now I'm just so over it! I think my uterus knows what is up, as I started cramping terribly yesterday, now I'm starting to bleed, all good reminders why I am doing this! Ready to be done! We got this and I will see you on the other side!

Side note, how long after iron infusions did you feel better barbwest, I woke up feeling more worn out than usual today....bugging me
Unread 04-29-2016, 05:46 PM

Hi Shana!
I hope you are feeling a little bit better this afternoon! It takes our bodies around 20 days to regenerate new red blood cells with the newly available iron. However, usually I can gradually feel better after about a week. I think that it raises your hemoglobin faster than you can feel it. I have heard of people who do feel kinda like they have the flu after their infusion. I just finished a round of 5 infusions, I got those over 2 weeks. Usually I have just 1 a week, for 5 weeks, with no issues, but this time I have been exhausted. It will definitely help your blood!

Disney! I'm glad to meet you! I hope May 4 is the start of something great for all of us!

Barb
Unread 04-29-2016, 06:10 PM

Thanks Barb! I'm so ready for next week! I will have you both in my thoughts as we travel this road next week!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register