I did not know anything could taste this bad - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I did not know anything could taste this bad I did not know anything could taste this bad

Unread 06-07-2004, 07:22 PM
I did not know anything could taste this bad

Dawn we really really like you. But please don't mention that again! LOL (Hope tomorrow goes great for you!!)

I know! I kept asking my mom if the whole bowl prep thing was really necessary. My nerves have had me going since yesterday. Surely there is nothing left!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Oh lord Please

Wednesday I do my bowl cleansing with Fleet's Phospho-Soda Wish I hadn't read how bad it taste. Not looking forward to any of it. I don't plan on leaving the house after 3 when I start and I have to drink two of these. GROSS!!!!!!!! But very calm about the surgery. No worries, they said I would sleep most of Thursday and if I feel ok I can go home Friday. So I am planning on coming home Friday. I told them to start the drugs and knock me out as soon as I show up and everything will be fine. Now just looking forward to getting it over with. Doctor has had me on a light diet for the last few days and Wednesday is just liquids. So tomorrow night will be my last meal How depressing. Good luck LIW. Can't wait to hear how everyone does.
Unread 06-07-2004, 09:16 PM

You ladies don't realize how lucky you are...you won't have to strain post-op. You won't have to get up and down as much, post-op. You won't have to be afraid of doing Something Embarrassing while unconscious. Really it's worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2004, 12:17 AM

Two words:[size=huge]<<<<TUCKS WIPES>>>>[/size]

And, the most important reason why you're doing this: if, for some reason, your bowel is nicked during the surgery (happened to me in the course of a laparoscopic ectopic pregnancy), your bowel will be clean. Peritoneal infection, especially post-op, is nothing to fool with!

My trick for this (and I had to do the Golytely with a giant pelvic/abdominal mass which took up space) was to gulp, the largest gulps I could manage, and the iciest cold I could manage (luckily, it was a warm day back then) -- and as far back in my throat, bypassing any and all "salty" taste buds, as I could. Oh, yes, and no breathing while you drink. Breathe all the way out (more room in your stomach) so you don't smell it. Using these techniques, I did get through most of it.

The next time I had a bowel prep, I made the mistake of thinking that the phospho-soda stuff would be easier, since there was less of it. Well, I couldn't keep down the second one myself, and the subsequent prep (for colonoscopy) was OK but not optimal.

Just think as you do this, ladies: you'll survive to pass your own tips on to the next generation of . You'll have your own stories to tell! I did mine, as it happened, on Mothers' Day, which I thought karmically appropriate in every way...

and best wishes to you all who are heading for the Castle!

Audrey
Unread 06-08-2004, 06:05 AM

My brother wants to come pick up the dog on Thursday - right in the middle of my bowel prep! I explained that I would most likely NOT be able to entertain him for more than a few minutes at a time, and to NOT count on using the bathroom while he was here. LOL.

I am doing the Fleet's Phospho-Soda, which I personally thought was worse that the Magnesium Citrate. The instructions for my colonoscopy said to mix it with COLD Ginger Ale, lemon-lime soda, or apple juice.

I was to mix 1T (15ml) with 8oz. clear liquid of choice. repeat this two more times within 20 minutes for a total of 1 1/2 oz. Then I was to do it again in the morn. For surgery, I have to take it at 2pm and then again at 8pm. I might mix the whole 1 1/2 oz with one glass, though - I'll let you know if that's any better than spacing it out over three 8 oz glasses.

The surgeon's instructions didn't say anything about mixing it with anything other than 4 oz of water. I asked about the other method, and they had no problem with it. Clearly, noone who goes through the Pre-Op instructions with patients has EVER had to drink that stuff, or they would know these things!

I will be claiming my "throne" Thursday afternoon, and will be receiving my Princess crown Friday by noon, mostly likely!

Esme

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register